Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPhone 4 is Jailbroken aka The Return of JailbreakMe.com

Rdskn4Lyf21

Full article: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/721504-iphone-4-jailbroken-aka-return-jailbreakme-com.html

"It was nearly 3 years ago now Apple released the 1.1.1 firmware and the jailbreak community saw it's most memorable jailbreak tool released - JailbreakMe.com. These were the very early days of the Dev Team - the folks involved with the original tweak were hdm/metasploit, rezn, dinopio, drudge, kroo, pumpkin, davidc, dunham, and NerveGas. Some of those guys are still involved in the scene.

The tool jailbroke your iDevice and installed Installer.app (huh? What's that? Cydia wouldn't even be publicly released for a few more months. Installer.app was released in August of 2007) on your homescreen by doing nothing more on the user's end than visiting a website - JailbreakMe.com."

....this launched just after 5pm yesterday and the servers have been taking a beating, so be patient with it.

A few things of note:

*The unlock for the i4 will be released in less than 48 hours. They are doing some beta testing on it.

*FaceTime over 3G has been accomplished. I'm waiting to see how they did it, and what tweak they will release for the masses.

*FaceTime over 3G has been accomplished. I'm waiting to see how they did it, and what tweak they will release for the masses.

If this works without issues, I will upgrade my 3G's to 4's within the month. That is the ONLY thing I really want in the new 4.

That is freakin sweet

If this works without issues, I will upgrade my 3G's to 4's within the month. That is the ONLY thing I really want in the new 4.

That is freakin sweet

I'll post as soon as I know what's up.

I was able to get wifi in a venue and streamed a concert to my friend with great sound and video quality. Doing this on 3G would be incredible....

Aside from using apps Apple didn't approve for various reasons enabling capabilities of the iPhone that crush AT&T's network (FaceTime)...why do you need to jailbreak your iPhone?

I see zero legit reasons to do it. I could kind of understand the point before, but with iOS 4.0, I see what the big deal is.

awesome i will upgrade to the iphone 4 now. one reason why i jailbreak it is to download torrents on my phone plus if installous is back on it free apps

That is probably one of the dumbest reasons I've ever heard to jailbreak an iPhone.

So I understand correctly...You jailbreak your iPhone so that you can steal content and then re-install the stolen content so you then have "free" apps, which were not originally free?

Apps aren't that expensive. You realize that developing apps is some people's livelihood right? Their app development is the only thing they may have and you are stealing that from them? Very selfish move.

That is probably one of the dumbest reasons I've ever heard to jailbreak an iPhone.

I thought that was the main reason to jailbreak an iPhone... the free apps. I figured, that for most people, jailbreaking an iPhone is about getting everything for free... even stuff people have to pay for. I thought it was less about the creativity of people coming up with their own apps and stealing apps that are already on the store.

Full disclosure, I have an iPhone and don't ever plan on jailbreaking it.

I thought that was the main reason to jailbreak an iPhone... the free apps. I figured, that for most people, jailbreaking an iPhone is about getting everything for free... even stuff people have to pay for. I thought it was less about the creativity of people coming up with their own apps and stealing apps that are already on the store.

Full disclosure, I have an iPhone and don't ever plan on jailbreaking it.

I knew that there were a ton of apps available for free that Apple would not allow in the App Store. I guess I never really thought about being able to torrent apps via an iPhone and get apps for "free."

I knew that there were a ton of apps available for free that Apple would not allow in the App Store. I guess I never really thought about being able to torrent apps via an iPhone and get apps for "free."

I understand that there are plenty of apps out there that have some sweet functionality and add a lot of cool stuff to the iPhone experience but my buddy has his phone jailbroken and he talks about all of the free apps. It's almost as if to me that that is the major upside of a jailbroken phone... everything is free.

i dont just mean apple apps but other apps as well, well backgrounder for one but kinda useless now, things like cydia and ringtones and stuff like that. one of my favorite apps that you swipe the time and a little box comes out and you can adjust everything from there.

you can make your own ringtones in iTunes with the music you already have.

Aside from using apps Apple didn't approve for various reasons enabling capabilities of the iPhone that crush AT&T's network (FaceTime)...why do you need to jailbreak your iPhone?

I see zero legit reasons to do it. I could kind of understand the point before, but with iOS 4.0, I see what the big deal is.

There will always be those that don't understand it.

Some of us enjoy modifying the hell out of the phone, customizing every aspect. I have fun creating my own icons, dialers, SMS backgrounds, etc.

Additionally, there are apps that you can't get through the App Store. Personally, I love playing Game Boy Advance and SNES on my iPhone. Through Cydia, I can get the emulators and install roms.

Other things include the FaceTime on 3G (which will not crush the network). It is used so sporadically and takes up about 14mb per 5 minute calls on 3G. Additionally, being able to use Netflix on my iPhone is a big deal. They'll be rolling out that app in a few months, but I pay for Netflix now. Why not modify it so I can use it?

The 3G Unrestrictor/My3G is another reason. Why should I have to watch a YouTube video in broken up quality on 3G? I can stream things perfectly through this program and my system acts as if its on wifi all of the time (speed).

Also, UAFaker. I can't login to my classes online at school on my iPhone. Their mobile version doesn't allow this, and there is no way around it (I've tried my knowledge and checked with our IT department). With UAFaker, it makes websites believe that I'm connecting from a desktop on a regular browser. With this I can access classes and even turn in assignments.

...these are just a few of the reasons. If you don't want to jailbreak, nobody is forcing you to.

There will always be those that don't understand it.

Some of us enjoy modifying the hell out of the phone, customizing every aspect. I have fun creating my own icons, dialers, SMS backgrounds, etc.

Additionally, there are apps that you can't get through the App Store. Personally, I love playing Game Boy Advance and SNES on my iPhone. Through Cydia, I can get the emulators and install roms.

Other things include the FaceTime on 3G (which will not crush the network). It is used so sporadically and takes up about 14mb per 5 minute calls on 3G. Additionally, being able to use Netflix on my iPhone is a big deal. They'll be rolling out that app in a few months, but I pay for Netflix now. Why not modify it so I can use it?

The 3G Unrestrictor/My3G is another reason. Why should I have to watch a YouTube video in broken up quality on 3G? I can stream things perfectly through this program and my system acts as if its on wifi all of the time (speed).

Also, UAFaker. I can't login to my classes online at school on my iPhone. Their mobile version doesn't allow this, and there is no way around it (I've tried my knowledge and checked with our IT department). With UAFaker, it makes websites believe that I'm connecting from a desktop on a regular browser. With this I can access classes and even turn in assignments.

...these are just a few of the reasons. If you don't want to jailbreak, nobody is forcing you to.

The whole emulator thing is very cool. My buddy said he jailbroke his iPad once or twice just to use the SNES emulator :ols:...and he works for Apple.

I thought FaceTime was much more data intensive, hence my comment about the network getting pwned by using it over 3G. If it only takes up 14 MB for a 5 minute phone call, I wonder why AT&T doesn't allow FaceTime over 3G. They must not have any faith in their service.

Jailbreaking definitely isn't for me but it sounds like you have done some cool stuff with it. I am more intrigued by the FaceTime deal than anything :cool:. I really hope Skype does what they say and starts work with Apple to incorporate that into their service. I think that would be pretty sweet.

I thought Apple was so secure :beavisnbutthead:

Go get an evo where you can actually use the phone network to do video conferencing instead of wife lol that is pathetic

How is the quality of video with the EVO over the network anyway? I would be interested to see how the iPhone and EVO compare.

I have seen the quality using something like Fring and I was not that impressed.

The whole emulator thing is very cool. My buddy said he jailbroke his iPad once or twice just to use the SNES emulator :ols:...and he works for Apple.

I thought FaceTime was much more data intensive, hence my comment about the network getting pwned by using it over 3G. If it only takes up 14 MB for a 5 minute phone call, I wonder why AT&T doesn't allow FaceTime over 3G. They must not have any faith in their service.

Jailbreaking definitely isn't for me but it sounds like you have done some cool stuff with it. I am more intrigued by the FaceTime deal than anything :cool:. I really hope Skype does what they say and starts work with Apple to incorporate that into their service. I think that would be pretty sweet.

The emulator is badass. Actually one of the hackers posted that it would be great if when we visit Apple stores we jailbreak the phones :ols:

After all, it's legal and takes a second....as for AT&T, they know that they couldn't handle it. Also, Skype will be incorporated completely. With or without the partnership of Apple :)

Rdskn4Lyf21 - AWESOME! I might do the upgrade today. I have someone that says they'll buy my 3G's for $155 each - it's only costing me $199 each to upgrade. Total bill = $45 to upgrade each! NICE!

I cannot wait for Facetime. That's Fantastic!

It's exciting haha.

I think My3G is $3 through RockApp. I had licenses previously so I'm not 100% sure.

No wonder Apple products are so expensive.

:whoknows:

Couple of questions...

Does the MiWi cost anything? And how hard is it to get netflix working?

thanks

MiWi is $9.99 through RockApp, but there are other ways to tether. Handy Light App is one of them. It just requires more work from the user on setting it up.

Netflix...it depends on the user. An intermediate user should be fine with it. The steps are detailed here: http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/721715-guide-netflix-iphone4.html

Archived