Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: House panel that investigated Rangel recommends "‘reprimand" in ethics case

ACW

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/30/AR2010073003761.html?wpisrc=nl_buzz

The subcommittee that investigated Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.) has recommended that the embattled lawmaker face only a "reprimand," a mild form of punishment similar to that given to Rep. Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) when he was rebuked in 1997.

Rep. Gene Green (D-Tex.) told reporters Friday that his four-member investigative subcommittee is not seeking the high-level punishments of censure or expulsion, opting for a mid-level sanction that requires the approval of the full House but carries no other penalty.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Change we can believe in.

Once again - there is a standard for dems (shake a finger and say, "don't do this again or we will have another lame investigation") and a standard for reps (their life must end or spend the remainder of their lives in jail and the entire party must be abolished).

First come the sanctions. Then the warning letters. Then the strongly-worded warning letters. Then the threat that they're considering removing you from your committees if you don't promise to stop soon. Then comes the letters about threatening to remove you from your committees...

Next up for a slap on the wrist is Maxine Waters

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/111973-reports-waters-chooses-trial-rather-than-accept-ethics-charges

and a apology from my congresscritter

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/111943-house-dem-apologizes-for-talking-about-rangel-case

Rep. Gene Green said he shouldn't have revealed his panel recommended that Rangel be reprimanded.…:silly:

Rep. Gene Green said he shouldn't have revealed his panel recommended that Rangel be reprimanded.…:silly:

Well, I kind of agree that it shouldn't have been revealed unless they were simultaneously revealing the evidence that earned the reprimand.

We've heard a ton of stuff about Rangel. If it was proven true he should have been removed entirely. The question is what was presented and what was proven? If they could only prove the most minor infractions then a reprimand is warranted. If they closed their eyes and pinched their noses while digesting some of larger misdeeds, then a reprimand is an insult to the American people.

Well, I kind of agree that it shouldn't have been revealed unless they were simultaneously revealing the evidence that earned the reprimand.

We've heard a ton of stuff about Rangel. If it was proven true he should have been removed entirely. The question is what was presented and what was proven? If they could only prove the most minor infractions then a reprimand is warranted. If they closed their eyes and pinched their noses while digesting some of larger misdeeds, then a reprimand is an insult to the American people.

I agree, this circus has gone on far too long

Put up,or shut up.

added

Dignity?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0710/Obama_Time_for_Rangel_to_end_career_with_dignity.html

Once again - there is a standard for dems (shake a finger and say, "don't do this again or we will have another lame investigation") and a standard for reps (their life must end or spend the remainder of their lives in jail and the entire party must be abolished).

Newt Gingrich was a Democrat? Amazing, the things I learn, here in Tailgate.

Yeah, if I had to guess I would say that he deserved to be thrown out. Sadly, there are a lot of bums in Congress that deserve to be thrown out (on both sides of the aisles).

However, I don't know what was proven and so I can't tell you if this was justice or a travesty.

Actually, every time I read about one of these things, what strikes me is how petty the things they managed to pin on them, are.

I mean, that guy in Alaska. A BBQ grill? That's what they got him on?

Maybe it's a case of putting Al Capone in jail for income taxes. Maybe there's a whole lot more dirt that we didn't find out about. My gut says that they're a lot dirtier than that.

I always assume that there's a lot worse things that aren't being mentioned. But I'd like it if occasionally they'd actually catch some of them with the real dirt.

I'd say his constituents should vote for "the other guy/gal/grilled cheese sandwich" but I know that won't happen. Because no matter how low Congress' approval ratings are there's still 90 percent retention.
That's because people don't like Congress...except for ther own rep.

ahem:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0710/Obama_Time_for_Rangel_to_end_career_with_dignity.html

President Barack Obama has kept mum on the fate of Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) for days -- but he tells CBS News that it's time for the embattled 80-year-old former Ways and Means Chairman to end his career "with dignity."

"I think Charlie Rangel served a very long time and served-- his constituents very well. But these-- allegations are very troubling," Obama told Harry Smith in an interview to be aired on the "Early Show." and first broadcast on the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric.

"And he'll-- he's somebody who's at the end of his career. Eighty years old. I'm sure that-- what he wants is to be able to-- end his career with dignity. And my hope is that-- it happens. "

Obama wants him gone.

That's because people don't like Congress...except for ther own rep.

Exactly. People hate pork....at least when it's going to other people. Local projects in your district? Vital for you own economy in growth. A similar project in another district? Wasteful pork, and those people need to throw that bum out for wasting our money!

Not that living in the late John Murtha's district has jaded my view on that at all...:beatdeadhorse:

Obama wants him gone.

Good for Obama for coming out and saying that. Somebody needs to take a firm stand. I think the problem is that while a lot of people want him gone, well....who's got the stones to take the lead? And if somebody takes the lead, well, what skeletons will they no longer be able to hide?

Another reason Congress should not have anything to do with their own ethics investigations.

Of course. With the elections coming up he is nothing more than a liability. Plus he's 80 years old. This is the stance that Bama's handlers have told him to take. Change.:ols:

It's awesome how you are able to warp reality to fit your ideology. :ols:

If Obama says nothing: Change :ols:

If Obama says something: This is the stance that Bama's handlers have told him to take. Change.:ols:

It's awesome how you are able to warp reality to fit your ideology. :ols:

If Obama says nothing: Change :ols:

If Obama says something: This is the stance that Bama's handlers have told him to take. Change.:ols:

What did I warp again?

At best, you are naive. Obama could have called him out when untold amount of allegations were being made. Instead he waited until the writing was on the wall.

It's also funny you know my idealogy. I would take the same cynical approach with a Republican.

Archived