Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Packers' Brown Returns to Practice

Thinking Skins

Packers' Brown Returns to Practice

Associated Press

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/sports/6579179.htm

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Packers nose tackle Gilbert Brown returned to practice Wednesday for the first time since tearing a biceps muscle in a preseason game at Atlanta on Aug. 9.

After participating in six full-contact plays, Brown said he felt the practice was a positive sign that the injury won't require surgery, which would likely sideline him for the season.

"There's no pain or nothing. I just felt great," Brown said. "It felt good to be out there with my teammates. That's the main thing."

Brown could get an increased workload in practice Thursday. There's a possibility he could play in Saturday's preseason game with Carolina at Lambeau Field. The season-opener is Sept. 7.

"How can you not be a guy in that locker room who is inspired by what he's doing?" quarterback Brett Favre said. "No one is making him play. He could easily have gone home and never looked back."

Brown was on the field for only the first half of the two-hour, full-contact practice in pads. He took part in six plays during a 9-on-7 rushing drill.

"Gilbert Brown is a Packer who will always be a Packer," coach Mike Sherman said. "A lot of guys would just walk on this thing and count their paycheck, but he doesn't want to do that. He wants to do the very best he can to help us, and that's certainly admirable.

"But, we still have to make a smart decision in regard to him and to the Green Bay Packers. Hopefully, it will benefit both of us."

Sherman has said he would like to know by Sunday whether Brown can be of use in the regular season. Otherwise, Brown likely will be placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Originally posted by atlhawksfan

I've never had torn biceps but it seems like it'd be hard to play DT with that injury. His former teammate Santana Dotson choose to sit out when he had that injury with us last year.

Dotson had a ruptured achilles tendon, not a torn bicep.

Who had torn biceps last year, it happened around the time of the Dotson injury. It may not have been on our team, infact, if it wasnt dotson then it wasnt on our team. Someone did last year and it happened very early. Maybe it was that DT on the falcons, Dronett, didnt he miss last year.

the question is how effective can Brown be? :)

if he doesn't practice and Sherman lets him come in and play on Sundays perhaps he can help them in 2003.

Smith to me is still a fat tub of goo and isn't the solution at DT for the Packers in any case.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut at the end of camp if a veteran comes available who they can snag :)

Archived