Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashPost: 92,000 US Documents About Afghanistan War Leaked

mjah

Its called Spying and it is against the Law. You issues an Federal inictment for the arrest of the person or person's running the site. If they travel to another country then you have them arrested.

The fact of the matter is that this is RAW intel, when its raw intel you don't know how much of it is true or not, that is for the analysts to decide, while the information may not be TS, who knows how much of these documents have gone into finished intel. Also, you may be able to determine who the sources of the information are. Most things are classified because of sources and methods. So yes, this leak put US soldiers at risk, the person who leaked the information should be put in front of a firing squad, not questions asked (I belive the military can still do this) and the website should be shut down, period.

Dude, we can't even bring a child molester like Roman Polanski to justice...

Well, its not like the US Gov't has 854,000 people with Top Secret clearances or anything...oh wait.

I'd hate to see how many have Confidential or Secret levels. Its probably a lot higher.

And that is 0.55% of the known US population. Gee, that number doesn't seem so high now, does it?

Your anger is misdirected at Wiki Leaks. They reported what they were given and news agencies have always done this kind of thing. If you want to go after someone it should be the person with clearance who leaked these things to wiki leaks. We have far too little real media these days, I'd rather not see them prosecuted for being one of the few to actually release some kind of real information, regardless of the prudence of the decision.
The person/people that leaked them should be in jail already. You sign NDA's and all kinda "going to jail" papers when you receive a clearance. But Wiki has a responsibility to not publish something if they know it can do damage to the US. Not damage as in it hurts the reputation, ACTUAL damage. Sources and methods very easily could be revealed. That causes damage to and could seriously impact National Security. Not notionally or in theory, literally.

What if there are more than 92K? As it wouldn't be surprising if it was!

Supposedly there are around 15,000 more than WikiLeaks has.

I agree with others that this was a horrible move by WikiLeaks to release this information. What are they trying to get out of this besides some hits on their website? Its a dick move on their part.

Supposedly there are around 15,000 more than WikiLeaks has.

I agree with others that this was a horrible move by WikiLeaks to release this information. What are they trying to get out of this besides some hits on their website? Its a dick move on their part.

And WikiLeaks has determined these 15,000 could be detrimental to our troops/national security. Based on there boundless knowledge of national security. That the gained by googling.

And that is 0.55% of the known US population. Gee, that number doesn't seem so high now, does it?
They give'em out like candy if you work with the Navy and Marines.

Its the reason people like me are cleaning up unclass IT systems from classified data spills on a monthly basis.

And that has what to do with National Security?
Nothing except to show how incapable our gov't is of bringing internationals to face justice.

The person/people that leaked them should be in jail already. You sign NDA's and all kinda "going to jail" papers when you receive a clearance. But Wiki has a responsibility to not publish something if they know it can do damage to the US. Not damage as in it hurts the reputation, ACTUAL damage. Sources and methods very easily could be revealed. That causes damage to and could seriously impact National Security. Not notionally or in theory, literally.

Should George W. Bush go go jail over the Valerie Plame incident?

Good. Im really tired of the Pentagon and government in general hiding their ****ups behind "national security" reasons. And then, evne more infuriatingly, rather than fess up and explain their actions, they just cry foul about how the leak puts troops in danger unnecessarily.

You know what puts troops in danger unnecessarily?

Sending them to a land war in asia without a clear goal.

Using the military to try to win over "hearts and minds".

Withdrawing airsupport from troops cause it pisses off the locals? What kind of retardation is this? Either invade or dont, enough with this half-assed ****. If youre not prepared to piss off the locals, and possibly kill large numbers of them -- then dont go in the first place!!! War is supposed to be hell. If you dont want to unleash hell, then dont declare war! What the **** is so hard to understand about that?

Knowin that the loyalty of the ISI is at best questionable and still giving them money. Because we're afraid theyll become even more anti-American?? Who cares, are we really afraid of Pakistan? Why? Dealing with Pakistan is really not as hard as they Pentagon makes it out to be. You wanna scare Pakistan into submission? Easy, just say India, waaaaasup, yalls military is lookin like it could use an upgrade. Giving a billion dollars a year to India's military will straighten up the Pakistanis faster than giving a billion dollar to the Pakistanis. Duh. But no, we still got some dinosaurs in the intelligence community that havent adjusted to the post-cold-war reality that India is more a friend than Pakistan. Im glad they are being exposed. And also being exposed are the civilian "leaders" who have managed to find a way to make victory impossible for the world's greatest military machine. They ought to be held accountable.

But no no , we shouldnt be allowed to know these things. It might endanger the troops. :rolleyes

Good. Im really tired of the Pentagon and government in general hiding their ****ups behind "national security" reasons. And then, evne more infuriatingly, rather than fess up and explain their actions, they just cry foul about how the leak puts troops in danger unnecessarily.

Withdrawing airsupport from troops cause it pisses off the locals? What kind of retardation is this? Either invade or dont, enough with this half-assed ****. If youre not prepared to piss off the locals, and possibly kill large numbers of them -- then dont go in the first place!!! War is supposed to be hell. If you dont want to unleash hell, then dont declare war! What the **** is so hard to understand about that?

Knowin that the loyalty of the ISI is at best questionable and still giving them money. Because we're afraid theyll become even more anti-American?? Who cares, are we really afraid of Pakistan? Why? Dealing with Pakistan is really not as hard as they Pentagon makes it out to be. You wanna scare Pakistan into submission? Easy, just say India, waaaaasup, yalls military is lookin like it could use an upgrade. Giving a billion dollars a year to India's military will straighten up the Pakistanis faster than giving a billion dollar to the Pakistanis. Duh. But no, we still got some dinosaurs in the intelligence community that havent adjusted to the post-cold-war reality that India is more a friend than Pakistan. Im glad they are being exposed. And also being exposed are the civilian "leaders" who have managed to find a way to make victory impossible for the world's greatest military machine. They ought to be held accountable.

But no no , we shouldnt be allowed to know these things. It might endanger the troops. :rolleyes

Truly awesome post.

I agree with a lot of what you say, and I see it everyday.

I'm currently stationed at a small Combat Outpost in Afghanistan with <60 Soldiers on the FOB. What puts me and fellow Soldiers in danger are US Military Protocols. I'm on a FOB that receives incoming or direct fire daily, and half the time, there is nothing we can do about it. I'll be able to visually see Taliban on a hillside outside of the FOB who will OBVIOUSLY be digging a firing position or lining up a mortar shot/RPG angle for a later attack, and I can do nothing. Why? Because they are showing no direct hostile intent... later that night, I'm woken up from the scream of an incoming mortar. It's a never ending cycle.

Luckily however.... we have Norweigan Special Forces here with us... they don't fall under the same rules. =]] Makes things a little easier.

Archived