Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashPost: 92,000 US Documents About Afghanistan War Leaked

mjah

Leaked files lay bare war in Afghanistan

Thousands of classified documents related to the Afghan war released without authorization by the group Wikileaks.org reveal in often excruciating detail the struggles faced by U.S. troops as they battle an increasingly potent Taliban force and also try to work with Pakistani allies who often appear to be helping the Taliban.

The more than 92,000 classified documents -- most of which consist of low-level field reports --represent one of the largest single disclosures of such information in U.S. history. Wikileaks gave the documents to the New York Times, the British newspaper the Guardian and the German magazine Der Spiegel several weeks ago on the condition that they not be published prior to Sunday night, when the group released them publicly.

So apparently, this was for no good reason. There's no Haliburton deal or war crimes smoking gun. Just a good insight for our enemies to figure out what we know, how we know it, and who may have been cooperating with us. Whoever released this needs to have a horrible "accident" ASAP. Are you listening CIA?

So apparently, this was for no good reason. There's no Haliburton deal or war crimes smoking gun. Just a good insight for our enemies to figure out what we know, how we know it, and who may have been cooperating with us. Whoever released this needs to have a horrible "accident" ASAP. Are you listening CIA?

Yep.

And then it's time to take another hard look at Wikileaks management.

I'm 150% for freedom of the press. I worked for a newspaper for seven years. But a deliberate release of classified documents that compromises the security of troops in the field must be dealt with swiftly and severely.

(BTW, I'm not saying this information WILL do that. I'm simply saying that IF it does, it needs to have dire consequences for those involved in releasing it.)

I would agree with this if it revealed some corrupt/unethical act our military was committing but if they are just releasing information because they can, thats wrong. They're a Swedish company right? We can't do anything about this can we?

There isn't a conspiracy theory here; just a douche that put our troops in danger. Foreign company or whatever, as far as I'm concerned the guy just made himself a high value enemy combatant and should be dealt with as such.

Quite frankly I'd like to know how the war effort was going. I don't know about you guys, but we have spent a lot of money on this war. More than that we've spent a lot of American lives on this war. This is the type of action I want our "free press" taking.

Keep in mind someone leaked this to Wikileaks.

Should be immediate talks with the Swiss..

If they don't fix this we should take other actions to make them think twice before letting their personnel put allied troops in danger.

This needs to be followed back to the originator.

It could be something released to show that Pakistan is taking our money and actively working against US efforts:

The New York Times reported Sunday that military field documents included in the release suggest that Pakistan, an ally of the United States in the war against terror, has been running something of a "double game," allowing "representatives of its spy service to meet directly with the Taliban in secret strategy sessions to organize networks of militant groups that fight against American soldiers in Afghanistan, and even hatch plots to assassinate Afghan leaders."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/07/26/afganistan.wikileaks/index.html?hpt=T1

I could see how someone could be pissed off about the fact that this is going on and no one seems to be really doing anything about it.

Who said these papers are putting our troops in danger? Oh wait, its the Pentagon, the same folks who have been damaged by the release of the papers. And people are out for blood against the Swiss? No one thinks that understanding the war effort is part of running our democracy?

Who said these papers are putting our troops in danger? Oh wait, its the Pentagon, the same folks who have been damaged by the release of the papers. And people are out for blood against the Swiss? No one thinks that understanding the war effort is part of running our democracy?
They are raw intelligence reports. This isn't like they leaked inter-office emails that might harm the company. These are intelligence reports gathered by intelligence personnel. As such, they could very easily compromise methods and sources. Wanna know the easiest way to lose intel? Reveal your source. They wind up dead. If you don't see a problem with classified information being published, there is something not right with you. And freedom of the press does not grant one carte blanche to print/publish whatever you receive. If these papers result in a formulated attack that results in the death of 1 US soldier, Wiki Leaks management should be indicted.

It could be something released to show that Pakistan is taking our money and actively working against US efforts:

I could see how someone could be pissed off about the fact that this is going on and no one seems to be really doing anything about it.

I think thats more or less such an obvious fact that has been known this entire decade.

Its about as obvious as "Osama Bin Laden was behind 9/11"

But hey, drones and more money for Mr. 10 percent!

And they had to release 92,000 documents to a public resource to make that point?

Quite frankly I'd like to know how the war effort was going. I don't know about you guys, but we have spent a lot of money on this war. More than that we've spent a lot of American lives on this war. This is the type of action I want our "free press" taking.

Keep in mind someone leaked this to Wikileaks.

I agree completely. Just from the brief piece I heard on it from NPR it sounds like a lot of it is more things that they'd rather the public didn't know as opposed to things that endanger the troops. Like, for example, the bits about Pakistan's military being complacent towards and even strategically assisting the Taliban in fighting us. Things like that complicate our positions from the standpoint of the public's approval of how things are being done.

Edit: Also it was noted on NPR that the documents released, while classified, were considered to be of the less volatile and sensitive type of information and none of it was considered "Top Secret"

They are raw intelligence reports. This isn't like they leaked inter-office emails that might harm the company. These are intelligence reports gathered by intelligence personnel. As such, they could very easily compromise methods and sources. Wanna know the easiest way to lose intel? Reveal your source. They wind up dead. If you don't see a problem with classified information being published, there is something not right with you. And freedom of the press does not grant one carte blanche to print/publish whatever you receive. If these papers result in a formulated attack that results in the death of 1 US soldier, Wiki Leaks management should be indicted.

Your anger is misdirected at Wiki Leaks. They reported what they were given and news agencies have always done this kind of thing. If you want to go after someone it should be the person with clearance who leaked these things to wiki leaks. We have far too little real media these days, I'd rather not see them prosecuted for being one of the few to actually release some kind of real information, regardless of the prudence of the decision.

Your anger is misdirected at Wiki Leaks. They reported what they were given and news agencies have always done this kind of thing. If you want to go after someone it should be the person with clearance who leaked these things to wiki leaks. We have far too little real media these days, I'd rather not see them prosecuted for being one of the few to actually release some kind of real information, regardless of the prudence of the decision.
Well, its not like the US Gov't has 854,000 people with Top Secret clearances or anything...oh wait.

I'd hate to see how many have Confidential or Secret levels. Its probably a lot higher.

I really believe it should be a crime to publish, print or make available classified material. It should not be protected.

tell me, how do we make it against the law to publish something ... in sweden?

or perhaps you're an advocate of a china-style firewall that blocks access to any websites not approved of by our federal government.

Well, its not like the US Gov't has 854,000 people with Top Secret clearances or anything...oh wait.

I'd hate to see how many have Confidential or Secret levels. Its probably a lot higher.

Well hey, the Feds are the only ones that pay good wages anymore and the only ones that actually give you raises to cover cost of living increases and inflation. They had to do something to manufacture a middle class since the private sector can't provide it anymore, right? :doh:

tell me, how do we make it against the law to publish something ... in sweden?

or perhaps you're an advocate of a china-style firewall that blocks access to any websites not approved of by our federal government.

Its called Spying and it is against the Law. You issues an Federal inictment for the arrest of the person or person's running the site. If they travel to another country then you have them arrested.

The fact of the matter is that this is RAW intel, when its raw intel you don't know how much of it is true or not, that is for the analysts to decide, while the information may not be TS, who knows how much of these documents have gone into finished intel. Also, you may be able to determine who the sources of the information are. Most things are classified because of sources and methods. So yes, this leak put US soldiers at risk, the person who leaked the information should be put in front of a firing squad, not questions asked (I belive the military can still do this) and the website should be shut down, period.

Archived