Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loyalty: To the Team or the Region?

Fresh8686

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I would continue to follow the Redskins, but only if they continued to be called the Redskins. I guess it really depends where they went, I couldn't really see myself routing for a West Coast team. I would switch to an AFC team like the Bills or Jets I think, if they headed West.

I would resent the move, knowing what it means to the great fans that call them the home team. There would have to be a hell of a good reason to move anywhere, one that was beyond the owner's control. Otherwise, I might just be done with the NFL if that happened for the wrong reason, like more money.

I can't give a definitive answer, but will share a personal experience. I'm a DC homer who has rooted for all the home teams AND the Orioles. When DC got the NATs, I became confused. Not sure who to root for.

I'm a life long DC guy, how could I not root for the Nats? But I had 23 years of history with the Orioles, how could I throw that away? The net effect was that I stopped passionately following baseball.

Maybe I'll become a Rockies fan now that I live in CO.

Well I'm originally from New Jersey, and going to school in PA. I just picked up the Redskins when I was younger because I saw them on TV against the Giants and I loved the players and the way they played the game... it's been them ever since.

That said, it was this team I fell in love with, not the city. I'd follow them wherever.

On the other hand, if they began changing logos and names, you're losing the identity of the team; teams like the Rams and Colts have moved around and kept their name. The Titans are a different story. Had I been an Oiler fan, I probably would've gone to the Cowboys rather than follow Tennessee...

If we ever did become the Los Angeles Gladiators (or whatever lol) I'd probably just go to the Steelers.

loyalty to the region! A name is just a name and even though i love the Redskins and would hope to never see the change of a name, I would be loyal to DC.

How would you feel if the Jags moved to Orlando?

Would you still be a Redskins fan or would you switch?

He's probably like me. I'm not from the region either. I root for the jersey' date=' the colors and nickname. If Snyder packed up and moved to LA, Anchorage or even Bangor, Maine I'd still pull for the skins. My allegiance is with the team, not the city. I could care less if the Nats blew monkey balls and lost 110 games every year.[/quote']

This, exactly. I've been to Annapolis one time, and that's the closest to D.C. I've ever been.

But I was raised a diehard Skins fan by my father, who also never has set foot in D.C. He got it from his uncle, who can trace his family's love of the Skins all the way to Boston in the 30's.

I follow the colors and the name. As long as those stayed the same and the reason for moving was necessary, I'd follow them.

I mean, what's the difference in being ridiculed for rooting for a team in D.C., compared to rooting for one somewhere else, being from CT? :silly:

So the ultimate question. If the redskins god forbid were moved to another state that didn't have a franchise, like Hawaii or something and a completely new team arrived in Washington (not a franchise transplant from another city), who would you root for if they played against each other in the superbowl?/QUOTE]

Armageddon will happen and there will be great gnashing of the teeth if the team moves to Hawaii....the Honolulu Redskins....don't think many Colt/Cult haters want the Cult to grow bigger. :D

Loyalty to the team. If I lived in and/or was born in D.C. then I'd probably say region. HTTR

I'm a Redskins fan. When the Nationals came in, I was still an Orioles "fan" (I couldn't care less about baseball) because I'm loyal.

The Redskins won't ever leave, but if they did, then my heart would follow. When I have kids and they go off to college, I'm not suddenly going to become the father of my next-door neighbor's child, am I?

I honestly can't say at this point. It would all depend on if I felt betrayed by the team with the move.

A good example is when the Colt left Baltimore in the middle of the night. I still remember watching the news and seeing the trucks pull out. Had I been a Colts fan at the time, that would have been that knife through the heart.

Even as a UK fan, with no links to Washington, I find this question difficult to answer. In Europe the sporting set up is a bit different and it's almost unheard of for a team to move cities so in my mind I have always supported the Washington Redskins not just the Redskins.

As a result of my devotion to the Redskins I also support other Washington franchises aswell to a lesser extent, so Washington is essentially my adopted home for North American sports even though I have never lived there.

If the team moved it would matter to me and I don't know where my allegiance would end up but I dont think I would support any team as fanatically as I do the Washington Redskins. In fact my interest in the entire sport would probably decrease as a result.

Quite honestly though if the Redskins ever move I don't think the name will survive anyway because of the controversy it already attracts.

It's hard for me to say but I think I would still be a die hard skins fan. After all, it would just be the crack head owner moving us, not the whole team.

I am a believer that, in most cases, you should be a fan of the team where you were raised. Yea, there are exceptions but I hate all the Dallas, etc. fans around here that have no ties whatsoever to Dallas. I just don't understand it.

I grew up a Skins, O's, Caps, Bullets fan. They were the teams when I was growing up. So I'll always be their fans. I didn't switch to the Ravens and won't switch to the Nats (not really a fan of baseball anyways).

I wasn't around when the Colts up and left in the middle of the night. If something like that were to happen, I can't really say what I would do.

Edit* If they changed name and colors, they may effect my decision a lot also. I would have an easier time cheering for the Maine Redskins then if they changed everything a la Oilers.

You originally pick them because they're close, but you fall in love with the tradition, etc, over time. If the Redskins moved and became the New Hampshire Tigers, and a new team came in called the Washington Hurricanes, I'd cheer for both teams. Also, my head would explode.

This is a good thread/weird thread...and ive always wondered how people felt.

Personally "IF" it were to happen where the Skins moved to say....LA and we got someone else's team....(For Example the Jaguars moved here or something) then I would become a Washington Jaguars fan. I couldnt root for the LA Redskins....1) they moved out of my city & turned their back on me...... and 2) im not a LA guy, im a DC guy & embrace the team in my hometown.

All this is easy to say now but who knows how I would really feel if were to happen.

If the Redskin franchise move out of the area I would feel that they have no solidarity with the fans and so I would not feel any solidarity with that team. I would most likely become a Raven's fan since I could watch them on TV.

If I moved out of the area I would still be a Redskin fan.

However, there was a time when I became a Baltimore Colt fan (Unitas era). I still followed what the Redskins team did; but those Colts were awesome.

Is it OK to be a fan of more that one team at a time? Or is being a fan like a marriage; that it is not OK to have multiple love affairs at the same time? Marriage is about commitment; is being a fan the same?

Treating fans like a marriage - for my team to leave me is like a divorce. Would I still love her even though she left me? Maybe if I was lonely with nobody else I felt attracted to, and if my ex was doing well then I may want to maintain some relationship.

Being a fan is being in a relationship.

I became a fan of the Redskins because they were the team representing the area from which I was born and lived.

As such, I support the teams that represent this area.

If the Redskins were to move, I would easily switch my support to the new Washington based team.

But I suspect that if the Redskins were to ever move, they would have to leave the name, colors and history just like the Browns did so it would be sort of moot.

The team for me. I have not lived in DC in approx 20 years but I am still a 'skins nut with season tickets. Having said that, my love for all the Washington tams is a result of growing up in the DC area. Given our other teams results, I could easily have switched allegiance to the Red Wings and Pistons but I haven't....

I'd argue and say that if you would stop following the Redskins because they moved, you aren't much of a Redskins fan.

Maybe, its hard for me to say. I'm definitely a Washington Redskins fan. But a Los Angeles Redskins, or New York Redskins? Not so sure.

Either way, I think the Browns move to Baltimore was done well, such that the team name and history stays with the city. I imagine that will continue in the future, so its probably not a bridge anyone will ever have to cross.

Archived