Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.com: Racial tensions roil NC school board; 19 arrests

killerbee99

Is it me or does it seem like racial tensions in this country of ours has reached a fever pitch?

RALEIGH, N.C. – Protesters and police scuffled Tuesday at a school board meeting in North Carolina over claims that a new busing system would resegregate schools, roiling racial tensions reminiscent of the 1960s.

Nineteen people were arrested, including the head of state NAACP chapter, who was banned from the meeting after a trespassing arrest at a June school board gathering.

"We know that our cause is right," the Rev. William Barber said shortly before police put plastic handcuffs on his wrists before the meeting started.

Inside, more than a dozen demonstrators disrupted the meeting by gathering around a podium, chanting and singing against the board's policies.

After several minutes, Raleigh police intervened and asked them to leave. When they refused, the officers grabbed arms and tried to arrest the protesters. One child was caught in the pushing and shoving, as was school board member Keith Sutton, who was nearly arrested before authorities realized who he was.

"Hey, hey, ho, ho, resegregation has got to go," some protesters chanted.

Click link for rest of article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100720/ap_on_re_us/us_busing_fuss

I think it's you. With all respect, we're closer to Dr. King's dream than in any point in our nation's history. I think, if anything, it seems like things are worse than they are because even seemingly minor issues involving race are so emotional.

Trust me. I know. :ols:

So basicly this is the have-nots wanting to be in the have crowd and the have's not wanting the not's being in their crowd. Dr. Suess, are you there?

How is that racist, unless of course you think that blacks are the only have nots.

I like the neighborhood schools concept much better.

Perhaps pushing for vouchers and school choice might be a better idea than acting a fool as these demonstrators seem to be doing.

Archived