Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN' s First Take on Redskins...

DaRock

First, Shaun Phillips, Charger LB, said that the Redskins are "Pretenders" instead of "Contenders" as the title of the argument was, going on to say that the Redskins were 4th in their division.

Some SI writer was questioning our WRs and all of our "old" RBs, and even questioned the OL, c'mon, but did say that Shanahan will make them better, but not playoff "contenders".

Skip Bayless disagreed with both of them completely and was excited saying that Donovan will have one of his best years with Shanahan and be appreciated in Washington, unlike he was in Philly. Lastly, Skip Bayless just went on record that the Redskins will be better than the Eagles after being interrupted by the SI writer when Skip said the Redskins WILL be better than the Eagles and Giants, when the SI interrupted and voiced the Eagles will be better, Skip went down on record that we'll be better.

:helmet:

Book it. Look at every major prognosticator in sport and note the 90-10 rule. 90% of the time, they will predict the next season to finish identically to the previous season. 10% of the time they will predict the winner of the Super Bowl from the year before last to take it all.

Redksins finished fourth in the NFC East last year. Therefore, most of the Sports prognosticators will predict them to finish 4th again. Expect the no-brainer prediction again. Cowboys were first, so they get the nod from these guys again.

As someone once said, "If you have half a mind to be a sports analyst... well, that would be about how much brain you need."

First, Shaun Phillips, Charger LB, said that the Redskins are "Pretenders" instead of "Contenders" as the title of the argument was, going on to say that the Redskins were 4th in their division.

Shaun can suck my right nut. "Pretenders?" He really needs to take a good look at his coach before saying that. We, having been down that road, know what's up. Dallas trash. 'Nuff said.

Skip predicted the Celtics would beat Cleveland, despite every other analyst in the NBA disagreeing with him. I'm just saying...

skip always goes against popular opinion just for the sake of arguing.

he probably doesn't believe 95% of what comes out of his mouth

not a good sign that Skip is singing our praises

Not at all, the dude calls everything. He has called NBA champions three years in a row, called Saints last year and Giants when they won. He hates LeBron and was the only one saying he wouldn't get to finals. The guy can call winners.

Hate to say it but I have to agree that our WRs, RBs and OL are all questions that will need to be answered. I do think the young WRs will be better with McNabb and am hoping between the three verteran RBs, we can put together a decent ground game back there. But all of that will be moot if the o-line doesn't protect. That continues to be the biggest question.

Skip also said that our defense will be very good and I thought it was the defense he meant when he said we'd be better than the Giants and the Eagles.

This team hasn't proven anything, and so I don't have a problem with any person that says that the team is a pretender in July. You certainly can't blast the person and assume that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Both offense and defense are changing schemes. There will be hiccups.

There are no new major additions to the defense that was really not that great last year. Kemo (recovery from injury) and Carriker (recovery from injury. another team's bust?) can't both be expected to come to D.C. and to dominate. To complicate things, the defense's highest paid player might not even be here. And that's just the defensive front. In the secondary, I'm not convinced that adding a nickel corner is going to be the spark that turns everything around. Hopefully the young guys continue to develop and can adjust to the scheme, but it is anybody's guess how that will turn out. The team isn't even in training camp!

On offense, an upgraded QB; nothing but questions at RB (they could all be great, they could all suck, they could all be average. Who knows?); good TEs; and a weak WR unit (an older Santana, DT and MK (busts?), and journeymen (Joey Galloway? Are you kidding me?!).

Regarding the offensive line, while I support the moves that have been made, it is crazy to think that, all of a sudden, many of us here on ES consider the unit to be one of the most dominant lines in football. Adam Schefter (who is an 'insider' not an 'analyst' - basically the equivalent of a TMZ gossip guy at ESPN) makes one comment about the team's tackles (not entire OL unit), and ES takes the comment and runs with it. Let's look at the line.

T- Williams - Rookie. I like the pick, but you can't pencil him in for the HOF yet. Don't forget that Samuels, a pretty damn good LT over the last decade, was on this team for a few games last year, and the line was still terrible in those games.

G- Dock - He was here last year. Not an improvement.

C- Rabach - He was here last year. Everybody was calling for his head. Not an improvement.

G- Hicks? Rinehart? - You know it is bad when the fanbase is hyping BMW as a strength of the O Line. Hicks is a career backup. Rhinehart might not have made the team a few weeks ago. Who knows. He still might not make it.

T- Brown - A nice addition, but he is coming off of a pretty long rest.

Depth - Heyer (a bum), the other of Hicks/Rhinehart, and some rookies.

There's a good likelihood that the O-line will be an average unit (which would still be an upgrade over last year)

There's no problem with optimism. Hell, I like our chances this year too. But stay grounded in July. If things are going well in October, then start talking. Nobody has even seen this team perform yet, and there are quite a few unanswered questions surrounding a team that was 4-12 last year and lost several veterans.

People actually watch First Take?

In all seriousness, Skip is one of the most annoying guys on ESPN (and that's saying a lot). It's hard to take his views seriously because he loves to play the role of contrarian. And yes . . . of course he gets some predictions right here and there . . . But I would attribute those few successes to the law of averages.

Regarding this specific point he is making, I don't think he is going far out on a limb to say that we will finish ahead of the Eagles and possibly the Giants. Nobody knows how Philly will respond to the loss of McNabb. I don't care what people are saying about Kolb or how he looked in those 300 yard games last year. He still needs to come out and prove that he can be a winner in the NFL. Until that happens, the Eagles have a question mark at the most important position in sports. And as far as the Giants go, they can be very inconsistent. At times it seems as if they are the best team in football . . . then all of a sudden they'll collapse. So who knows?

Right now we are a questionable team. There are a ton of questions, but right now everything coming from Ashburn has me excited for the season. Players backing Shanny 100%, okay 99.9% (fatty mcworthless), our first HoF caliber QB since Sonny, and the OLine was addressed.

Our team will be better, how much better is the question. Will Shanny get us 2-4 wins? Will Donovan get is 2-4 wins as well? Will the OLine stay healthy? Only time will tell, but I feel we are in for a FUN ride.

Sports Analysts on ESPN always fall into two categories...

1. Simply picking the favorite always. Just pick the Cowboys and the Colts and call it a day (most common)

2. Making wild predictions without rationalizing why other than simply saying one players name. (Skip)

No one on ESPN ever objectively looks at stengths and weaknesses of teams and makes educated analysis. That is why I don't really care about what people say about the Redskins or other teams.

Who's pretending?? I'll never get that. I don't hear any talk about being Super Bowl Contenders out of Redskins Park. So what exactly are The Redskins "pretending" to be in Shaun Phillips eyes? IMPROVED?? Because that's all the talk coming from the team right now. And you can bet the farm they will be improved!!

Shaun Phillips is the one pretending if he thinks San Diego is going anywhere of significance. Have fun with another year of Norv Turner, Shaun! Enjoy!!

This team hasn't proven anything, and so I don't have a problem with any person that says that the team is a pretender in July. You certainly can't blast the person and assume that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Both offense and defense are changing schemes. There will be hiccups.

There are no new major additions to the defense that was really not that great last year. Kemo (recovery from injury) and Carriker (recovery from injury. another team's bust?) can't both be expected to come to D.C. and to dominate. To complicate things, the defense's highest paid player might not even be here. And that's just the defensive front. In the secondary, I'm not convinced that adding a nickel corner is going to be the spark that turns everything around. Hopefully the young guys continue to develop and can adjust to the scheme, but it is anybody's guess how that will turn out. The team isn't even in training camp!

On offense, an upgraded QB; nothing but questions at RB (they could all be great, they could all suck, they could all be average. Who knows?); good TEs; and a weak WR unit (an older Santana, DT and MK (busts?), and journeymen (Joey Galloway? Are you kidding me?!).

Regarding the offensive line, while I support the moves that have been made, it is crazy to think that, all of a sudden, many of us here on ES consider the unit to be one of the most dominant lines in football. Adam Schefter (who is an 'insider' not an 'analyst' - basically the equivalent of a TMZ gossip guy at ESPN) makes one comment about the team's tackles (not entire OL unit), and ES takes the comment and runs with it. Let's look at the line.

T- Williams - Rookie. I like the pick, but you can't pencil him in for the HOF yet. Don't forget that Samuels, a pretty damn good LT over the last decade, was on this team for a few games last year, and the line was still terrible in those games.

G- Dock - He was here last year. Not an improvement.

C- Rabach - He was here last year. Everybody was calling for his head. Not an improvement.

G- Hicks? Rinehart? - You know it is bad when the fanbase is hyping BMW as a strength of the O Line. Hicks is a career backup. Rhinehart might not have made the team a few weeks ago. Who knows. He still might not make it.

T- Brown - A nice addition, but he is coming off of a pretty long rest.

Depth - Heyer (a bum), the other of Hicks/Rhinehart, and some rookies.

There's a good likelihood that the O-line will be an average unit (which would still be an upgrade over last year)

There's no problem with optimism. Hell, I like our chances this year too. But stay grounded in July. If things are going well in October, then start talking. Nobody has even seen this team perform yet, and there are quite a few unanswered questions surrounding a team that was 4-12 last year and lost several veterans.

Reality does bite... And you made that clear with your very accurate post.

BUT

I guarantee that if we beat the cowboys on Sunday night football that first week, the Monday morning headlines will be all about the Redskins being contenders.

I guarantee that if we beat the cowboys on Sunday night football that first week, the Monday morning headlines will be all about the Redskins being contenders.

Of course it'll be that way because only a contender could beat the vaunted Cowboys (according to the media).

The only other headline that can come from a Skins win would be one that says something like "The Boys Gave This One Away" or something along those lines. But if we happen to win that game my gut feeling is that the majority of the headlines will be similar to what you suggested.

Some SI writer was questioning our WRs and all of our "old" RBs, and even questioned the OL, c'mon, but did say that Shanahan will make them better, but not playoff "contenders".

:helmet:

Pretty narrow groups.

I think there's wide margin from contender to pretender.

Skip may be annoying, but he's been right so many times that I can't dislike him any more. He knows his stuff, but he's abrasive, and I think he loses a lot of people that way. I'd much rather have him saying good things than, well, just about anyone else.

Archived