Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can this government create jobs to get this country moving forward again?

killerbee99

I really don't post much here, read a lot and sometimes do get sick of the bickering that occurs on this board, but I read nonetheless. However, my main question is this, how can this government create jobs to get this country moving forward again?

Personally, I don't have the answer to this question, some blame illegal alieans as costing the country billions of dollars and syphoning money from Americans; other blame tighter financial regulations as making it harder for businesses to make more money, thus not creating more jobs (even though the banks that were bailed out with public money are now being extremely tight with giving out credit to businesss, making it hard for them to expand and hire more people), it just goes on and on in a big circle with no end in sight.

Heck, even now with the unemployment benefits extension saga, where Republicans are saying we have a deficit, we can't spend anymore, and Democrats are like we need to help these people who have earned these unemployment benefits through their work before they got layed off; both sides have good arguements, but the bottom line is this " HOW CAN THIS GOVERNMENT CREATE JOBS OTHER THAN GOING WITH OUR VERSION OF THE NEW DEAL?

I think the government has done much of what it can do. The answer now lies in the free market. There are a lot of companies that have refound their feet and have a strong stance, but they aren't hiring. They're making good profits while being lean. They don't see a need to change. If demand increased enough perhaps they would hire more maybe... but automation and computers kind of negate that too. Banks and lenders are also far more stable and making very good profits, but they also haven't let go of their chokehold.

Basically, it's our turn. Government can only provide part of the answer. Businesses need to hire. Consumers need to spend. Innovators and entrepeneurs need to create new markets.

I think the government has done much of what it can do. The answer now likes in the free market. There are a lot of companies that have refound their feet and have a strong stance, but they aren't hiring. They're making good profits while being lean. They don't see a need to change. If demand increased enough perhaps they would hire more. Banks and lenders are also far more stable and making very good profits, but they also haven't let go of their chokehold.

Basically, it's our turn. Government can only provide part of the answer. Businesses need to hire. Consumers need to spend. Innovators and entrepeneurs need to create new markets.

This is basically the way I feel, but some actually want to blame this administration for the high unemployment rate. I would just liek to see how they would boost employment rates without us having the financial meltdown we just experienced with loose regulations of the markets.

Blame is easy. It also sloughs off responsibility. The reason we're in this state started long ago... even before the Bush Administration. Some of what we're dealing with started 30 years ago and has been benignly pushed down the road.

There are definite short term catalysts that we can pin to actions and inactions of Bush. There are questions of whether Obama has done too much or too little. It seems to me that the boat has stopped sinking. That's good. The problem is that it's still far from sea worthy.

Those who blame aren't interested in America. They're interested in their agenda and accumulating power or avoiding responsibility.

I was talking to my mom, who is a small business owner, and asked her what a tax cut would do to help her hire another worker. She said basically it wouldn't. She said most small businesses if given a tax cut, the money would go into a savings account to save in case of a rainy day, like say they are behind on rent and need to dive into the account. She also said the idea that a tax cut would automatically go into improving and upgrading the business and/or equipment is also false because until business and new business/customers itself dictates that they need to upgrade they usually don't do it. She said most likely the money from the tax cut is going straight into an account.

She said the only thing that creates a new job opening for most small business, is when they get more customers and business to the point where the demand is too much for them to keep up with.

I understand my mom does not speak for all small businesses, I just wanted to give you one small business owner's opinion from real life experience. She has been a small business owner most of her adult life. Various different businesses.

I agree with Burgold too though that some companies actually have been rebounding, and profits are going back up, but they are trying to get away with how much they can keep the squeeze on their current work force until the seal breaks. Some of this may be due to fear of slip back into recession, so I understand that viewpoint, but I think some of it also is that once workers get squeezed for more productivity and less pay, it usually hardly ever ends up going the other way, even when times are good. It just from then on out becomes expected, without more compensation.

We need a massive public works project. I say we build the great wall of Mexico. Not a fence but a massive wall, like a shorter but longer hoover dam, with inspirational quotes from our founding fathers ironically carved into the wall every 20 yards or so. Allow plenty of room for tourists to walk around on the wall and look down (figuratively speaking of course) on their southern neighbors. Think of the money we could raise with 1969 miles of those little binocular machines that require quarters. Plus Arizona would have to find something new to complain about. Perhaps blacks will reclaim their status as most persecuted minority again so that the racial debate can get back to the monochromatic style Americans have been enjoying since our founding fathers decided to avoided it almost entirely.

Another option would be to legalize marijuana and immediately start exporting it to nations such as Columbia and Mexico at cheaper rates than their well dressed domestic suppliers could ever hope to compete with. We'll start a new drug war and pattern it entirely after the most dangerous weapon the US has ever created: Walmart. Sosa will never be able to maintain his army and compete with our price roll backs. Workers around the world will experience a massive drop off in productivity and hopefully send jobs back to the US were Americans have been focused on going to work high and not getting caught for 40 years.

The govt cannot create meaningful jobs,O's actions have done nothing to create a atmosphere conducive to hiring and expanding.

His choices and policies have instead cost ten's of thousands jobs in the private sector.

Keep preaching populist bs and creating uncertainty in the business establishment and then keep wondering why jobs aren't appearing:beatdeadhorse:

The current direction and regulatory climate fosters unease and uncertainty compounded by the healthcare circus act.

Enjoy the fruits of your choices.

How is this preventing businesses from hiring people?

It does not prevent it,nor does it encourage it.

I ,nor many other businesses, need to hire here to make money.

The trick is to make us see value in it over simply letting money work for us in a more favorable locale.

Care to guess why Texas is attractive to business investment? (if O doesn't screw that up as well)

i dont think the govt needs to create more jobs, i think the jobs are there.

i have felt for the last 10 years or so that American society has become increasingly lazy.

the jobs are there, but people wont take them and would rather have free stuff from the govt. for a good example see Zoony's rant about food stamps.

i dont think the govt needs to create more jobs, i think the jobs are there.

i have felt for the last 10 years or so that American society has become increasingly lazy.

the jobs are there, but people wont take them and would rather have free stuff from the govt. for a good example see Zoony's rant about food stamps.

I would agree,with a slight twist, You too can create jobs.:)

Simply step up and put YOUR ass and cash(and even govt loans) on the line.

Get in the game instead of looking for a ride.

I don't know that they are there. A big growing problem is that more and more businesses don't need people. Between computerization, machinery, robots, etc. businesses need fewer and fewer bodies. So many skillsets are becoming obsolete. Why should I hire you to do a job that a computer can do a thousand times faster and more precisely?

Soon, we'll need to redefine value. We'll need to figure out a different way to be productive. We are at the balance point to a whole new way of understanding society and work, but most of us and certainly the economy is locked in on a 19th Century modality of what "work" and "worth" is.

That's a problem. In 20 years, it will be an exponentially worse problem.

1) Eliminate business taxes.

2) Eliminate income taxes.

3) Recover lost tax receipts through property, sales, capital gains (rentier class)

4) Reduce the the Financial, Insurance, and Real Estate sector's contribution to 3% of the GDP.

5) Remove all political incumbents bought out by the Wall Street.

Small businesses, like me, aren't going to hire into the face of increasing taxes. It really is that simple.

Extend the Bush tax cuts, and I can hire. Don't, and I will do just fine as I am.

But won't extending the Bush tax cuts add trillions more to the federal deficit and will this trickle down econmics businesses are pushing for work at all, or won't they just pocket the profits and not hire people anyways. I think there is good evidence to suggest that the trickle down economics of business tax cuts is not working to well. Heck, the tax cuts is there right now and there are really no jobs being created, so I think we should just let those tax cuts expire and save some money as it is, instead of continuosly dumping money into businesses that aint hiring people.

Maybe, we can ammend the tax cuts and having businesses that are hiring people qualify for it ?

Also, do the wealthy need more tax breaks or the middle class, bcos if you have a family making over $250,000 a year or more they aren't middle class, and I think those are the ones who benefit the most from the Bush tax cuts.

I agree... we need to tax those evil rich people more.

That'll make em hire :beavisnbutthead:

Perhaps we need to appoint another commission to suggest the best way to go about it and expand the enforcement capabilities and manpower of the govt to manage the extra workload.....damn We are saved:silly:

But won't extending the Bush tax cuts

Different businesses need different things. I can only speak for my business, and businesses that I help. But here are a few things that I never see discussed on this board which may shed a little light, or at least open up a different line of discussion:

1. Banks don't need to hire, and don't need to lend money to anybody.

Why aren't banks lending money? I have yet to see anyone answer this on ES--likely because they don't watch the markets or money.

The real reason why banks don't need to do anything but sit on their hands, is because they can borrow money from the government at nothing, and turn around and immediately buy US treasuries. That's a guaranteed 4%.

So get free money from the government(taxpayer money), and make 4%? Or loan money to an individual, and pray? Yeah, you would do the exact same thing the banks are doing. Take the risk-free 4%. Until short term interest rates are moved higher, that isn't going to change. Banks won't loan/hire.

2. These estate taxes are a huge deal. Words cannot describe just how huge they are. Generations of wealth are now at risk. Say I am a 60 year old individual, with $3 million to my name. Maybe I accumulated that from a life insurance policy when my parents died. Or maybe I have been successful in business.

If I die now, my kids will take over my $3 million business. If I die after Jan 1, 2011, Uncle Sam will take roughly 55% of that, depending on the state.

55%? Really? What for? To extend unemployment benefits for somebody else? Or so government can go and waste that money too? No thanks.

What it really comes down to, a truth no one can ever run from or change, is that businesses create jobs. Screw the businesses, and you can screw the jobs. Temporary census positions don't cut it. Nothing cuts it. The only thing that does cut it, is to help small businesses help this country.

It sucks, but the saying "A poor man never gave anyone a job" is just as true now as it has always been.

We have to stop attacking businesses.

2. These estate taxes are a huge deal. Words cannot describe just how huge they are. Generations of wealth are now at risk. Say I am a 60 year old individual, with $3 million to my name. Maybe I accumulated that from a life insurance policy when my parents died. Or maybe I have been successful in business.

If I die now, my kids will take over my $3 million business. If I die after Jan 1, 2010, Uncle Sam will take roughly 55% of that, depending on the state.

55%? Really? What for? To extend unemployment benefits for somebody else? Or so government can go and waste that money too? No thanks.

Ok, I see where you are coming from with you other points, but what does the estate tax have to do with anything? Like really?

Archived