Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NWI.com: Randle-El says that Snyder held Zorn back

Oldskool

Though the Redskins released Randle El this spring, the former Thornton multi-sport star put up some of his best seasons, statistically, in Washington. Last year, he caught 50 passes for 530 yards and no touchdowns, numbers down slightly from his career-best 53 catches in 2008 or his 728 yards he compiled while a Redskin in 2007.

"When (former Redskins coach) Jim Zorn was there, he was hands-on," Randle El said. "He had great potential, but (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder was too involved because he didn't trust coach Zorn as much as he did coach (Joe) Gibbs, and those were things that prevented us from success as a team."

For the full story, see: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/recreation/article_4acc4eeb-adf2-53d9-95bd-ac92f74a1504.html

Funny thing is randel el didn't have a problem with the dannys involvement when he got that huge contract he didn't deserve

Who would? If Danny calls me tomorrow and offers me millions to do a job I'm not qualified to have. I'm taking it. You wouldn't?

I guess Snyder also had an invisible rope tied around Randel El's waist on those punt "returns"?

I think it was already confirmed that Zorn had to present the game plan to Snyder on Fridays. That's Daniel "I was a huge fan as a kid but had my head so far up my rear that i missed the fact that those teams in the 80s were built with great lines" Snyder.

Things have been seeping out quite a bit though of players saying Zorn was a nice guy but:

there was little discipline with the team

he wasn't a motivator

didn't believe in disguising much with his offense or doing much to throw off the opposition strategically

Having said that and I piled on Zorn as much as anybody, the guy seemed to be classy, why pile on?, and if Randle El wants to give him props, cool with me.

There was a recent article in which Snyder was cited as saying that he's learned the importance of "having a competent coach." While its nice to have Shanahan here, two-time winning Super Bowl coaches are not going to be available every time you have a head coaching vacancy. Has Snyder been scarred so much by the failed Zorn experiment that the Skins are always going to be hiring retreads throughout his ownership? Or, if he does take a chance on a coordinator, will Dan revert to his "hands-on" ways?

Not something we probably have to worry about anytime soon, but by the same token, not encouraging words to hear for the long-term.

Randle-El being a lousy punt returner doesn't make Danny any less of a meddling egomaniac.

Randle-El sucked a returning punts, Zorn sucked a coaching, and Danny sucked at running football operations. They all sucked. One hired the other two though.

People always mention this but how exactly? I did hear rumors about him calling Zorn in to look at games with him and why he called certain plays and he had to give him an explaination.

Snyder didn't call Zorn in to look at game film with him...he wanted someone to watch the game film with him and break down the performance and playcalling, and Zorn volunteered to do so because, as he put it, he didn't want anyone else explaining his playcalling and decision making to the owner except him. I took it as Zorn saying he didn't trust Vinny to accurately assess and portray his coaching decisions because he wanted to cover his own ass lol :yes:...

it all started when Zorn called CP out in that Detroit Game and CP pouted his way to Snyda and then again in the Bmore game....it's all about not letting Zorn call ALL the shots and players allowed to undermine Zman to Snyda...

remember hip hip hooray? well the run could have continued but Snyda had let his ego be stroked by letting players cry to him...

remember hip hip hooray? well the run could have continued but Snyda had let his ego be stroked by letting players cry to him...

You gotta be kidding me lol :ols:...

The "Hip Hip Hooray run" came apart when the Skins lost to the sorry-ass Rams, barely beat the sorry-ass Browns, and did only slightly better against the sorry-ass Lions. The wheels came completely off when the Skins got demolished by the Steelers. Portis going to "Snyda" and Snyder's ego didn't amount to jack **** in ending the "run".

it all started when Zorn called CP out in that Detroit Game and CP pouted his way to Snyda and then again in the Bmore game....it's all about not letting Zorn call ALL the shots and players allowed to undermine Zman to Snyda...

This is correct. The day that Portis wasn't suspended for a game or two after insulting the head coach, is the day our team no longer had any chance in the league.

He stripped Zorn of any authority he had right then and there.

Why can't Dan simply write checks, and disappear for good? Making football decisions obviously isn't his talent.

It doesn't matter if it is picking bad coaches, signing bad players, or writing terrible contracts....he has absolutely no business around a football team.

Can't he buy a soccer or baseball team to destroy, while leaving the Redskins in the hands of professionals?

Archived