Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

dcpsr.com - Report: Redskins still favored to land Westbrook

@SkinsGoldPants

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2010/07/18/report-redskins-still-favored-to-land-westbrook/

Report: Redskins still favored to land Westbrook

AUTHOR: Spence | IN: Washington Redskins | COMMENTS: None Yet

ESPN’s Adam Shefter lists former Eagles TB Brian Westbrook as one of the top 5 remaining free agents.

Teams have had health questions on Westbrook, but his agent, Todd France, insists that his client is fine. The Washington Redskins remain the favorite to land Westbrook; they’ve already made him an offer to reunite him with quarterback
Donovan McNabb
and keep him playing in the NFC East, this time against his former team, the Philadelphia Eagles. The Rams also are interested, but Westbrook has become more of a luxury for teams, not a necessity.

The Redskins are not going to keep four older running backs who don’t play on special teams so if Westbrook goes one of the other top three backs on the roster now — Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson and Willie Parker — won’t last long in burgundy and gold. It won’t be Portis because he’s guaranteed about $7 million this year whether he plays for Washington or not. Larry Johnson has so far looked better than Parker — some would say Johnson has looked better than even Portis this offseason — so he’s a favorite to stay. That leaves Parker as the back most likely to be eventually released if Westbrook signs with the Redskins.

Not sure why the Skins are the favorite. Personally, I believe if the dude is healthy. They you have your 3rd down RB AND a guy you split out wide a lot. Almost never using him as a RB on 1st and 2nd downs.

All this Westbrook talk makes want to bring this back up.:D

***A interview with McNabb after one of the first practices****

Reporter- How does it feel to look back and see a Redskin RB receiving the toss?

McNabb- Well in Philly I didn't really have anyone back there

oops:ols:

That was a slip of the tounge- McNabb was NOT sending out a shot at his former teammate and great friend. He was referring top the singleback/shotgun formations often used and lack of running plays in Philly's scheme.

I don't think the a guy like Westbrook will put this or any team over the top.

I just think if we could have 3 RB's from Portis, Johnson, Parker and Westbrook. I think Westbrook is the most 3rd down RB and other advantages kind of back.

Actually, I'm in the minority even with all the news on Portis getting into shape. I'd love to ship him to AZ or San Diego or something, and keep the other 3 guys. I don't think you un-diva a guy 100% after he's done whatever he's wanted for many years.

If Parker isn't cutting it, bring Westbrook in.

McNabb as the signal caller along with Portis and Johnson established in the backfield, Washington would be a perfect scenario for him. He would have a limited roll as the 3rd down back....or with one of the other two in the same backfield!

I would really like to see Ryan Torrain gets some playing time and, If we bring in westbrook I think he gets pushed further down the depth chart. I think Torrain has the potential to be a great running back for us for years down the road instead of just this season.

This signing is taking forever... Why is Westbrook stalling so much, It's kind of annoying

True. Westbrook is trying to get as much money as he can out of the teams interested in him. He should just sign and get it over with. The McNabb connection is obviously the only reason why this is a story. It's getting to the point to where it's like :beatdeadhorse: IMO.

yawn....not much of a market if this is one of the biggest additions that can be made. This would be fine tuning. Gravy if we get it, no real huge loss if not. I LOVE the way the FO is playing this. There is an offer, it it takes, that's great. If not, we'll be fine.

Get rid of Parker and bring in Westbrook. Westbrook is still a great back and he and McNabb have some great chemistry already. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Seems like a no-brainer to me also. Not sure what Westbrook is thinking. Playing for the Redskins is the ideal situation for him.

don't really care where Westbrook goes. Dont think he'll do much. i think its all Portis and Johnson from here on out. need a WR still to stretch the field out. TO? nah, but not sure who else is out there.

I completely agree with u. But at this point, i think we'll have to settle with the WRs on the roster right now bcuz there really is no1 else out there. If we wanna pick up a seasoned vet, all i can see is Muhsin Muhammad or Isaac Bruce. But both of them are about 37 or 38. If we're gonna take a shot at an unproven youngster, we will probably b bettr off stickin with DT & MK.

IMO we dont have a bad group of receivers honestly. Santana is proven, jus has to stay healthy. Devin is comin along well aftr a very strong finish to the season last yr.. I blieve he had his 1st 100yrd receiving game against the Saints. And we cant 4get about Malcolm. He has definitely shown flashes, great hands & leaping ability to b the big possession receiver we've been lacking.

With McNabb @ the helm, we should b ok. He's used to makin subpar receivers look good.

This has dragged on a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would.

I agree. I mean, the offer's there. It's not like we're holding back or kicking the tires and not sure about pulling the trigger. We made an offer. It's all on him. I'm happy with our backfield between Portis and LJ. If Westbrook signs, cool. Another potential weapon. If not, no problem. I personally hope that Torain stays healthy because I think he could be amazing.

1. His former QB is now the QB of the Redskins
  2. His brother is a Redskin.
  3. His agent is a former Redskin
  4. The Redskins are in the NFL East and has a chance to stick it to his former team twice each year.
  5. Shanahan is the coach

What more do you want?

Archived