Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Governmetnt Will Be Tracking B.M.I. by 2014

MEANDWARF

This is really starting to get spooky. First the Patriot Act by Bush (thanks W) and now the government are going to be tracking our B.M.I.s. and other medical information.

CNSNews.com) – New federal regulations issued this week stipulate that the electronic health records--that all Americans are supposed to have by 2014 under the terms of the stimulus law that President Barack Obama signed last year--must record not only the traditional measures of height and weight, but also the Body Mass Index: a measure of obesity.

The article:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/69436

Apology if this has already been posted. Try search and had no results.

Good they should. People in this country are becoming fat asses.
Obesity is a national security problem, especially because it directly concerns recruitment.
Okay, even if you think this, the BMI is bogus. LeBron, Dwight Howard, and Adrian Peterson are NOT overweight, and Ovechkin is NOT as overweight as one can be w/o being obese :no:

See the other thread about Food Stamp Credit Card.

When they crack down on those they directly pay to feed buying 90pds of chocolate and a case of soda, i'll believe we'll move on the the rest of us.

Why does every report start with "we'll do this"

without paying even a skosh of attention to the very basic beginnings...

After that, they will be subjected to penalties in the form of diminished Medicare and Medicaid payments for not establishing "meaningful use" of EHRs.

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Based on what? the current 260billion they pay doctors behind the scenes on the doctor pay cut for Medicare.

Or the fact that there will only be a select few doctors that take Medicare patients by that time anyway....

I'm closely watching this particular piece of legislation because I'm part of a startup that is building an EMR/EHR system. I believe all this means is that in order for an EHR to be certified so that doctor's using it can show "meaningful use" (and thereby get $44k in ARRA funds between 2011-2015) -- the EMR/EHR must be able to record the patient's BMI.

None of this is necessarily connected to any sort of government tracking or big brotherish super system of systems. It's just a feature that has to be included in the EMR/EHR so that the doctors using it can get reimbursed by stimulus money.

Okay, even if you think this, the BMI is bogus. LeBron, Dwight Howard, and Adrian Peterson are NOT overweight, and Ovechkin is NOT as overweight as one can be w/o being obese :no:
BMI is not bogus. In fact, it is a useful health measurement for the vast majority of the population. The people you are describing fall within the extremely small percentage of the population where the BMI would not be an accurate measurement.

You cannot have national healthcare without keeping track of health issues. Then ultimately using that data to dictate lifestyle. This is not a surprising first step.

Yep, The public now has a even more vested interest in your lifestyle

Even putting aside the Big Brother aspects (bad enough), the BMI is :bsflag: Brock Lesnar is obese, and Shaq is overweight :ha:

Exactly the BMI is completely useless, it takes no account for the ratio between body fat and lean body mass that would truly determine obesity.

BMI is not bogus. In fact, it is a useful health measurement for the vast majority of the population. The people you are describing fall within the extremely small percentage of the population where the BMI would not be an accurate measurement.

I have to respectfully disagree. BMI is totally bogus. I'm 5'8" tall and 175 lbs. Per BMI, I'm overweight bordering on obese which is FARRRR from the truth. I maintain a 33" waist and 42" chest which is pretty darn good.

My ideal weight according to BMI is between 145 and 150lbs. Are you kidding me??? I would be downright sickly at that weight. And I'm no super athlete. Yeah I try to keep in shape but I'm probably right around what you would thing of as average. So yeah, I will stand firm that the BMI is complete BS.

:ols:.. so I guess we shouldn't let them put our blood pressure down either.

Obesity leads to all sorts of health problems, just like hypertension and a whole host of other things that are recorded and kept on your medical record. It's best if a physician know your medical history and conditions should he have to treat you.

It doesn't mean that anyone is going to tax you or force anyone to adhere to a scale. It means they're tracking your medical condition.

Rather misleading title, meant to terrify,, the government has simply made it standard so that the medical profession tracks something important.

~Bang

I have to respectfully disagree. BMI is totally bogus. I'm 5'8" tall and 175 lbs. Per BMI, I'm overweight bordering on obese which is FARRRR from the truth. I maintain a 33" waist and 42" chest which is pretty darn good.

My ideal weight according to BMI is between 145 and 150lbs. Are you kidding me??? I would be downright sickly at that weight. And I'm no super athlete. Yeah I try to keep in shape but I'm probably right around what you would thing of as average. So yeah, I will stand firm that the BMI is complete BS.

You're exaggerating. I checked your BMI personally on the CDC's website.

You are technically in the "overweight" category...barely. You are not even CLOSE to bordering on "obese."

Also, the ideal weight for you is not betwen 145 and 150. It's actually up to 164lbs. to stay in the "normal" BMI category.

Not quite sure where you are getting your numbers from... but those are from the CDC.

:ols:.. so I guess we shouldn't let them put our blood pressure down either.

Obesity leads to all sorts of health problems, just like hypertension and a whole host of other things that are recorded and kept on your medical record. It's best if a physician know your medical history and conditions should he have to treat you.

It doesn't mean that anyone is going to tax you or force anyone to adhere to a scale. It means they're tracking your medical condition.

Rather misleading title, meant to terrify,, the fact is the government has simply made it standard so that the medical profession tracks something important.

~Bang

Seriously, do people have problems with what is already in their medical records? Because all this stuff is already in there, trust me.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the EMR's intended us is for and how it will help medicine.

Many PRIVATE PRACTICES are already switchin to EMR systems, accessible by other practices, insurances, and gasp, probably the FEDS!!!!! but we don't hear any complaints about this.

I don't know Katie,, even in my best days in the military I was 20 lbs over my supposed BMI. For my height it was to be 147 lbs,, and I am best at around 165 to 175

The chart could use some revision.

(ah the good ol' days!)

Okay, well, I am considered overweight and nearly obese according to BMI at 5'8" 193 pounds.

I'm not. At all. I fall into this extremely small percentage. So what happens to me, then?

Okay, well, I am considered overweight and nearly obese according to BMI at 5'8" 193 pounds.

I'm not. At all. I fall into this extremely small percentage. So what happens to me, then?

Yes, as a serious weight lifter, you would fall into that small category.

What happens in the real world is that it is noted in your chart, next to all sorts of other vital signs like BP, weight, height, pulse, temperature, and for girls (at least in our practice) first day of last menstrual period (LMP). Those are all glanced at by the physician during the visit and addressed. Physician sees you, he totally negates the BMI in his mind. He probably confirms what supplements you're on, and as long as your vitals are fine (which they very likely are since you are a healthy young guy), moves on to the remainder of the exam.

Exam dictated.

Chart filed.

EDIT: Unfortunately, most Americans are not as involved in sports or are as fit as you (you're a good example for us all! :D ). Therefore, BMI is an appropriate measure for almost all primary care practice visits.

Next patient please.

Nothing happens. They record your condition on your medical chart, and your doctor tells you that you should maybe lose 20 pounds, just like now. (except your weight is muscle, and you won't even hear that. He'll shake your hand and tell you you're in excellent shape.)

If you smoke, that is on your chart. And no one forces you to stop. they advise you to stop, they tell you what can happen, and then when it does they tell you that the cancer in your lungs was caused by the cigarette and that you should have listened when they suggested you stop... but they don't force you.

If you drink they know it. In a typical physical, even a routine one for a new job, the question of how many drinks a week is often asked. If you answer a significant number, they know it, and it alerts them to the potential health problems it can cause. But no one forces them to quit until they repeatedly break the law as a result.

Hell, if you smoke pot and your doctor knows it he can advise you to stop, but he won't even call the cops on you for something that is definitely illegal.

~Bang

You're exaggerating. I checked your BMI personally on the CDC's website.

You are technically in the "overweight" category...barely. You are not even CLOSE to bordering on "obese."

Also, the ideal weight for you is not betwen 145 and 150. It's actually up to 164lbs. to stay in the "normal" BMI category.

Not quite sure where you are getting your numbers from... but those are from the CDC.

Ok, you got me on the "bordering on obese" but at 175 I am well into the overweight category. You even said "up to 164" meaning that at 165 I'm overweight according to BMI which is just not true.

At 145-150, my BMI is 22 which is dead in the middle of the 19-24.9 that is considered "healthy weight". At 5'8" I could go all the way down to 125lbs and still be considered "healthy weight" and that is just insane.

Archived