Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com:Packers' DE Jolly suspended for 2010 season

Santana_89

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819279c0/article/packers-jolly-suspended-by-nfl-under-substanceabuse-policy

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The NFL suspended Packers defensive end Johnny Jolly without pay for the upcoming season -- and perhaps beyond -- for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Jolly's suspension begins immediately and will continue through at least the 2010 season. He will be eligible to apply for reinstatement after the Super Bowl in February.

Jolly is facing drug charges in Houston after his July 2008 arrest outside a club for possession of at least 200 grams of codeine. If convicted, Jolly faces up to 20 years in prison.

=========================

When will these players learn to make better decisions off the field?

Wow, I didn't expect to see him suspended the entire season. Oh well, we've still got a quality starting D-line in Pickett, Raji, and Jenkins, and depth in Harrell (assuming he can stay healthy for once), Neal, and Wilson. Jolly was a talented player, but he's got to learn responsibility. Hopefully he's given a chance to redeem himself.

Wow, I didn't expect to see him suspended the entire season. Oh well, we've still got a quality starting D-line in Pickett, Raji, and Jenkins, and depth in Harrell (assuming he can stay healthy for once), Neal, and Wilson. Jolly was a talented player, but he's got to learn responsibility. Hopefully he's given a chance to redeem himself.

When I saw that on the ticker on CSN Washington I did a double take myself. It's very unusual. For what it's worth I think your D line will be okay with the talent you all have.

Is this his first offense? Seems harsh to suspend him for the entire year, especially when he hasn't even been convicted of anything.

The Commish has suspended other players without full legal action completed. I think that the year long suspension was handed down because of the seriousness of the case against him and the fact that the Packers weren't going to utilize him this year anyhow.

200 grams = about 65 eight balls. Thats helluva lot codeine to be busted with. Wasnt it outside the club , right.

Is there such thing as a eight ball of codeine? He most likely had a bottle of Phenergan W/Codeine if he was making "purple drank" which is sold in bottles of fluid. 200 grams is about an 8oz bottle (of cough syurp).

200 grams = about 65 eight balls. Thats helluva lot codeine to be busted with. Wasnt it outside the club , right.

From what I gathered, he and some buddies were in his car outside a night club notorious for guns and drugs, or something of the like. He was playing his music a little too loudly and woke a sleeping cop, who proceeded to probe about looking for any excuse to get vengeance on this ******* with the nerve to wake him from his "speed-trap" nap. Having discovered the drank (I've never seen any articles specify who was in possession), and realizing he was dealing with a big-time sports player, he made sure to put as incriminating a slant on Jolly as possible hoping to gain the favor of the DA, who may gain fame in prosecuting the case. When it became apparent the evidence against Jolly himself was so flimsy (and fabricated?), the DA and bed-time-Bobby decided to delay his court appearance over two years so as to cause as much damage to him as they can before they inevitably have to let him go.

Some portions of my interpretation may be greatly exaggerated and/or completely fabricated.

When I saw that on the ticker on CSN Washington I did a double take myself. It's very unusual. For what it's worth I think your D line will be okay with the talent you all have.

I'm not too worried, though I will miss his ability to swat the ball at the line. He had more passes defensed in one season last season than any D-lineman since the stat has been kept (at least from what I gathered on NFL.com). Also, that interception of his in week 1 was fantastic.

jollyint_small.gif

Is there such thing as a eight ball of codeine? He most likely had a bottle of Phenergan W/Codeine if he was making "purple drank" which is sold in bottles of fluid. 200 grams is about an 8oz bottle (of cough syurp).

60mg of codeine per ounce of cough syrup should make one bottle way less than 200 grams of codeine. I also didn't see any mention of cough syrup, but just codeine. So maybe he had a bunch of pills? EDIT: My terrible math skills have lead me to conclude that he would need 98 liters of syrup.

Yeah that would have to be a lot of bottles of cough medicine, his whole back seat would be full of boxes. Most likely either 30mg or 60mg tabs, even that would be a lot, like 3333 or 6666 tablets. Probably crushed into about a 1/2lb powder would be smarter. Its a weak narcotic, its sold in canada over the counter with tylenol in small amounts like 8mg split I think. Whats with all the players and Codeine, I dont get it. I mean if you are going to get busted with a scheduled II narcotic, why not get something like oxycontin. Codeine is weak. I cant believe all the hype with cough medicines.. weak.

Is this his first offense? Seems harsh to suspend him for the entire year, especially when he hasn't even been convicted of anything.

The type of volume he had, that's drug trafficking type of offense no doubt. (not merely possession) I'm not shocked he got this much of a suspension, as Vick got more with dog fighting.

Packers suspected something when they drafted two DL's this year.

Best guess...he got his third strike on failing a drug test, which could have been anytime last season.

And the codine thing does not help his case either - especially in a public-held company. It is not like he can walk into, say, Pete Carroll's office and say it was just a prank.

The type of volume he had, that's drug trafficking type of offense no doubt. (not merely possession) I'm not shocked he got this much of a suspension, as Vick got more with dog fighting.

Is it though? How does the weight work with codeine? I have no idea.

I read cocaine at first and I was about to post that you all must have no idea how much coke that is. That for sure is a trafficking offense. I have no idea what's what with codeine though.

I cant believe all the hype with cough medicines.. weak.

Agreed. I lived in Texas for two years way back when. All these idiots bumping their ****ty DJ Screw music kept screaming about liquid codeine so I decided to give it a try. Made me piss out of my ass for a whole day and the high was a whole bunch of whatever. Never wasted my time again.

Archived