Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TS: Vatican toughens sex abuse rules

China

Vatican toughens sex abuse rules

But revisions targeting pedophile priests draw fire for calling women’s ordination equally grave sin

VATICAN CITY—The Vatican issued revisions to its internal laws Thursday making it easier to discipline sex-abuser priests but also stated that ordaining women as priests was as grave a sin as pedophilia.

The decision to make a combined announcement on the issues appears to reflect the insistence of embattled leaders inside the Vatican, even as they work to staunch anger against a widespread abuse scandal, to push back against any suggestion that pedophilia inside the priesthood could be cured by ending celibacy or allowing women to become priests.

That drew immediate criticism from women’s ordination groups, who said making a moral equivalent between women priests and child rapists was offensive.

“The idea that women seeking to spread the message of God somehow defiles the Eucharist reveals an antiquated, backwards church that still views women as unclean and unholy,” said Erin Saiz Hanna, executive director of the Women’s Ordination Conference, a U.S.-based organization that works to ordain women.

Click on the link for the full article

The whole celibacy thing is ridiculous. There are no grounds for it in the scriptures at all, yet the catholic church continues to insist on adhering to their own madeup rules. At the same time, they've tolerated so many horrible things among their ranks - such as child abuse - when the scriptures say to remove people like that from the congregation. the vatican is one of the most reprehensible and hypocritical organizations in the entire world. Their hypocricy is probably more responsible for athiesm and disdain for organized religion than anything else.

sadly the early church was pretty misogynistic.

I guess whether or not that's true depends upon what you mean. In actuality Jesus, and then the authors of the New Testament, the early Christians, empowered women in a way which was positively scandalous to the outside society of the day.

Rather than point you to one of the numerous Christian sites on the topic, I'd suggest you read this article at religioustolerance.org: The Status of Women in the Christian Gospels.

Jesus treated men and women as equals, included them in his inner circle, appeared first to women after his Ressurection, and defied numerous laws and social customs that actually did treat women in the manner you describe.

Further, the authors of the New Testament recorded all this (no selective editing here), and people like Paul extended it, writing that there was neither male nor female in Christ, and placing women in important positions in the early Church (such as Priscilla, Dorcas, Phoebe, Lunia, Chloe, Euodia, Apphia, and Syntyche, all figures in the New Testament writings).

There is some confusion about this, and it is likely for two reasons. First, though Christianity treats men and women as equals, there are different roles for each, and this does not square with 21st century Western sensibilities, which see this as sexist. Second, the later church definitely devolved into very anti-female and sexist tendencies (calling Mary Magdalene a prostitute, for instance).

Make no mistake, though, the early Church and early Christians and authors of the New Testament, when compared to their surrounding culture, looked more radical and feminist than Gloria Steinam, Hillary Clinton, and Betty Freidan rolled into one and multiplied by 10.

There's a good reason that so many early Christians were women.

So, I don't think I'd say that it would be correct to say that the "early church" was misogynistic. Later on, Christianity was used by people in power to do all manner of awful things, like starting wars, seizing property, and subjugating all kinds of people, women included.

I guess whether or not that's true depends upon what you mean. In actuality Jesus, and then the authors of the New Testament, the early Christians, empowered women in a way which was positively scandalous to the outside society of the day.

Rather than point you to one of the numerous Christian sites on the topic, I'd suggest you read this article at religioustolerance.org: The Status of Women in the Christian Gospels.

Jesus treated men and women as equals, included them in his inner circle, appeared first to women after his Ressurection, and defied numerous laws and social customs that actually did treat women in the manner you describe.

Further, the authors of the New Testament recorded all this (no selective editing here), and people like Paul extended it, writing that there was neither male nor female in Christ, and placing women in important positions in the early Church (such as Priscilla, Dorcas, Phoebe, Lunia, Chloe, Euodia, Apphia, and Syntyche, all figures in the New Testament writings).

There is some confusion about this, and it is likely for two reasons. First, though Christianity treats men and women as equals, there are different roles for each, and this does not square with 21st century Western sensibilities, which see this as sexist. Second, the later church definitely devolved into very anti-female and sexist tendencies (calling Mary Magdalene a prostitute, for instance).

Make no mistake, though, the early Church and early Christians and authors of the New Testament, when compared to their surrounding culture, looked more radical and feminist than Gloria Steinam, Hillary Clinton, and Betty Freidan rolled into one and multiplied by 10.

There's a good reason that so many early Christians were women.

So, I don't think I'd say that it would be correct to say that the "early church" was misogynistic. Later on, Christianity was used by people in power to do all manner of awful things, like starting wars, seizing property, and subjugating all kinds of people, women included.

My definition of early church is not that of when jesus was alive, I dont think many people would try to argue that christianity became extrenely misogynistic for a while to the point where female disciples roles were reduced na dactual gospel was changed to fit the new paradigm.

The whole celibacy thing is ridiculous. There are no grounds for it in the scriptures at all, yet the catholic church continues to insist on adhering to their own madeup rules......

:ols: , especially when you consider that Simon Peter (the Catholic Church's so called first Pope) was a married man. Very ironic, IMO.

VATICAN CITY—The Vatican issued revisions to its internal laws Thursday making it easier to discipline sex-abuser priests but also stated that ordaining women as priests was as grave a sin as pedophilia.

This statement ALONE should drop ALL Federal funding of any Catholic church that agrees with this.

A Woman reading from a book is the same as raping a child...

Archived