Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another True Redskin fan dies (my dad)

adamyesme1111

Sorry you lost your dad. I lost my dad a few years ago. He liked tennis and was not a real football fan so its good you and your dad had the devotion to the Redskins in common. During this season, you will think of the good times you shared with your dad. All the best to you and your family.

Adam, my prayers are with you and you family. Losing my Dad was one of the toughest things I have had to go through. For up to a year after his passing, I would still hear him calling me in my sleep. It's been 8 years now, and there isn't a day that I wish I could call him and ask his advice. Know that your Dad loves you and that you are his legacy. I know you will make him very proud. Good luck on your dream to be a football coach. Talk to guys like KDawg, I know he'll give you great pointers on coaching. If there is anything that I can do to help, PM me.

HTTR

You and your family are in my prayers. As you can see, the forum has been dimmed in their honor and memory - a great gesture on behalf of the family at ES.

We look forward to hearing more stories of your family and growing up as a Redskins fan.

A simple gesture, yet an awesome tribute. Another reason I love this board.

I hope your father and grandfather can handle catching a few passes from Slingin' Sammy. ;)

I can't even fathom what you are going through. To lose a parent at such a young age is a tragedy. You have my thoughts and prayers and I'm sure your father is very proud of what a mature young man he raised.

Now to everyone in Redskins nation, we need to act to help him and his family get though this. Does anyone know if there is any way to get them season tickets or dream seats, or anything of that nature? I know it will never ever replace what he has lost, however celebrating his favorite team with 92,000 of his friends can at least take his mind off the pain.

Adam - So sorry to hear of your father's death so closely following your grandfather's death. Loss like this accumulates and when we have multiple deaths close to one another it makes it all that much harder. The advice from most of the posts above are great. Do things in honor of your father. As you do them, you remember him, and you honor him with your action. This is what is being called the "masculine path" of healing and it strongly differs with the default feminine path of open emoting and talking about it. Your testosterone levels are a big reason why you are more likely to grieve through action. It's natural and very healthy though you may find that many people will gauge your healing on how much you openly emote. Don't listen to them. Follow your own path. It may be that you prefer to openly emote and talk..that would be fine..about 20% of men find that path helpful.

You can use NFL players as role models. Think of Favre. What did he do shortly after his fathers death? He played and played well. He did it in honor of his dad. Same thing with the Skins after Sean's death. They played 10 men in honor of Sean. They honored him through their action. Both of these were highlighted in a recent NFL Films piece done on "Grief and the NFL." Think of Michael Jordan who's father was murdered. What did he do? He quit basketball and went into baseball. Do you know why? Because his dad always wanted him to be a pro baseball player. I could go on and on but you get the idea. As men, it is our action that helps us work with our grief, though all too often our wives don't have a clue.

I wrote a book on how men respond to loss and trauma differently from women. I'd be happy to send you a copy if you wish. Just pm me.

HTTR! and bless you, your father, and your family

My deepest sympathies. Weird thing happened, when I was at the gym this morning I thought about this thread. I didn't comment on it yesterday, because I did not know what to say. But it had me in deep thought. Sometimes we don't take the time to reflect on the things that matter the most in life.

Hang in there.

Mods, very cool "mourn mode". Classy.

Cheers everybody.

i never know quite what to say in these situations..... i am sorry for your loss though.

but on the bright side...... we are stuck here wondering how our skins will fair this year ..... but your dad is chillin with ST21 right now!

Archived