Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pillars of the Earth series

gbear

As it is probably my favorite book, I can't wait to see it on TV. I know there is almost no way for it to live up to the book, but I still hold out hope. If nothing else, maybe it will direct a few more readers to check out this masterpeace.

A good book. I really enjoyed it, and to a slightly lesser extent, "World Without End". If you like that type of fiction Bernard Cornwell writes historical novels/series based on true periods/events in history. He does a good job as well, IMO.

My biggest issue with period movies/TV shows is how they have to infuse todays prejudices, opinions and sense of right/wrong into a period decades or hundreds of years ago, and for me, it kind of ruins the show/movie. However, I'll most likely watch it.

Pillars of the Earth infused with today's prejudices? How so? In many ways one of the heroines is a witch. I am trying not to give away plot for any who have not read the books (which I guess I should be careful about when asking), but a lot of the book is spent instilling loathing for many of the institutions we typically put on a pedistal. I remember thinking there were no sacred cows in that time.

For what it's worth, nothing in the book contradicted what I remembered being taught in Church history by a Benidictine monk. I always took it as a sign of great intraspection that I was taught a Church history complete with many historical blemishes...and many of them showed up in the book. I also like the story my father in law tells about being on a tour in England and having the guide ask if anyone had read Pillar of the Earth because if so the village behind him should look very familiar.

I am really holding out hope that Aztec by Gary Jennings becomes a cable series sometime in my lifetime.

I read Pillars of the Earth and it was pretty good but large stretches of it were just tedious. Would have been a better book at 1/3 the length.

Archived