Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Ravens institute children only autograph policy

MattFancy

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/07/new_autograph_policy_at_training_camp.html

Ravens players will only sign autographs for children in a new policy that will take effect at this year's training camp, which begins July 27 at McDaniel College.

Citing safety concerns, the Ravens will conduct autograph sessions for children ages 6 through 15 after the morning practice. There will be no autographs following the afternoon practices, the team announced in a press release.

“We have considered changing the way we do autograph signings for a few years,” team president Dick Cass said in a statement. “Our crowds for the morning practices have become so large that we’ve had safety situations with people pushing each other to try and get closer to the players. Often times, children would be put in difficult positions with the rush for autographs, especially from our most popular players.”

Children must wear a Ravens-issued wristband to enter the autograph area. There will be a tent adjacent to the fields where wristbands will be issued. Children can bring one item to be autographed, and adults will not be allowed to enter the autograph area.

I wonder how this would fly around here?

I think this is great, personally.

I'm sure the players are relieved, too.

It's probably much easier on the players, I like to get autographs when I go to Skins camp, but the kids should get their chances too. But to say that only children can get them seems a little strange.

I know this will unintentionally offend some people here, but I never understood why a grown man would want someone's autograph anyway. I think it's a step in the right direction to give the players' time to only children. I know when I was little, I got many Redskin autographs at Carlisle...however, I wouldn't even consider waiting in line now to do so. I do agree with an earlier comment though, I'd like to be near my younger kids so they don't get trampled by middle schoolers!

It seems a good percentage of adult autograph seekers are in it strictly for the money. So when they're jostling with the kids to get something signed it just seems kind of sleazy.

Which is why some athletes sign pics, merchandise, etc "To ------- from ------" also reducing the value of selling it by flooding the market with their autographs.

Which is why some athletes sign pics, merchandise, etc "To ------- from ------" also reducing the value of selling it by flooding the market with their autographs.
Also more personalized if you DO keep it :)

I know this will unintentionally offend some people here, but I never understood why a grown man would want someone's autograph anyway.

I'm not at all interested in autographs either. The signature of somebody I don't know means nothing to me. Unless it's on a check, then it's all good.

I can understand A children only session, but how many 5 year olds foot the bill for season tickets? Fans of all ages should have access to their favorite team's players' autographs without having to pay to attend an autograph session.

I will never understand an adults desire for someone else's signature.

For me, it is less about the signature itself, but as an interface and proof that I have met a person. Often, it allows me to express my good wishes and thanks in a near one-on-one manner.

I know this will unintentionally offend some people here, but I never understood why a grown man would want someone's autograph anyway. I think it's a step in the right direction to give the players' time to only children. I know when I was little, I got many Redskin autographs at Carlisle...however, I wouldn't even consider waiting in line now to do so. I do agree with an earlier comment though, I'd like to be near my younger kids so they don't get trampled by middle schoolers!

Grown men can be fans of the game/players - and want autographs. You think that way possibly because you've had the experience numerous times, I have gotten 2 autographs when I was a kid in a major league sport setting, Heathcliffe Slocumb and Tyler Green. In a minor league game I got Carlos Beltran and others that I dont know, but still. For me to go to Training Camp i think it would be awesome to get my jersey signed or something.

I spend decent money on the Tristar Autograph baseball packs because it's cool to hang up autograph memoribilia or show it off in the house.

I have no problem with it. I've seen some real *******s in autograph crowds.

Agreed.

How about those ass-hat adult "fans" holding 3 footballs & 4 jerseys bowling over kids and shouting at the players for autographs? It's embarrassing and stupid.

I know this will unintentionally offend some people here, but I never understood why a grown man would want someone's autograph anyway.
I will never understand an adults desire for someone else's signature.

I kind of feel the same way.

Over the years, I've acquired some autographed stuff, but I haven't trampled kids for any of it, or stood in line. All of it is on display in our Redskins room.

Well, that's not exactly true....one time I did wait in line and actually paid for an autograph I stood in line to have Chris Cooley autograph a Redskins tap handle for my kegerator. He also added "Dallas Sucks!" which was a nice bonus and it set off the kegerator rather nicely. :)

I LOVE it.

2 years ago I took my then 7 year old boy and 4 year old girl to redskins training camp. Had a great spot on the FAR end. After practice London Fletcher came over and you should have seen the adults pushing the little kids out of the way to get autographs. It was ABSURED.

London did his own kids only zone and said "no one older then 12" and then when the pushing continued, he told all the kids to come to the other side of the fence and took a step back so only kids were there.

I LOVED it.

(BTW - Not just in football. Nationals spring training game same thing. Zimmerman walks over and the adults were pushing the kids against the wall trying to get autographs. Disgusting.

I think this is great, personally. (though I would prefer to stand next to my 4 year old rather than turning him loose with other kids in a "kids only" zone)

Agreed. I met Jay-Z at a game years ago and got his sig for my little sister. It wan't about me. I don't "sweat" people. They have different talents than me, but I am still a man and quite happy with money and such.

I have no problem with it. I've seen some real *******s in autograph crowds.

At training camp alone. Sad that ADULTS are trying to run over you to get a sig. Seems silly to me. To me it is cool, but not something worth a dime. It is about the moment.

I know this will unintentionally offend some people here, but I never understood why a grown man would want someone's autograph anyway. I think it's a step in the right direction to give the players' time to only children.

Not offended at all. I agree whole heartedly. I have some sigs from over the years, but I don't treasure them, I just think they are cool memories.

Not always true.

I totally get this. IMO there is no reason for a 40 year old man to want an autograph from a player other than to get some memorabilia signed. I think the players would choose to do that individually. For me personally, I would rather take pictures than have someone sign something for me.

I have gotten some autographs, best way to avoid the kiddies is to head to Ashburn after like a Seattle away game in December. They get home around 2 or 3am, it's 10 degrees with a wind chill of -10, dons jons blowing over, camera's freezing up. No crowd then. Only problem is Salavea and Gibbs were the only ones tough enough to stop. lol

I like getting autographs, but not enough to wait in a huge crowd, trample kids or anything.

I think the policy is great, but they should make players available for season ticket holders as well as the people who come out in August temps to watch practice.

However, all NFL teams should be on the lookout for the people who are just looking to make money off autographs. Screw those guys. They are the ones who scream at players and call them jerks for not coming over, which just helps create a bigger disconnect between fans and players.

Grown men can be fans of the game/players - and want autographs. You think that way possibly because you've had the experience numerous times, I have gotten 2 autographs when I was a kid in a major league sport setting, Heathcliffe Slocumb and Tyler Green. In a minor league game I got Carlos Beltran and others that I dont know, but still. For me to go to Training Camp i think it would be awesome to get my jersey signed or something.

I spend decent money on the Tristar Autograph baseball packs because it's cool to hang up autograph memoribilia or show it off in the house.

Right...I never said that grown man can't be fans (I'm as big a fan of this team and most of its players as you'll find). I also didn't say grown man can't want autographs...I just don't get it, myself.

Archived