Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dog Question (injured knee)

hockeysc23

Well my poor chocolate lab Calli was diagnosed yesterday at the vet with partially torn knee ligament. This has obviously upset me quite a lot as she is my buddy.

The vet said to give her some pain meds and try to rest her for 2 weeks. It should start to heal but if she tears it completely surgery is needed.

Has anyone had a similar knee injury to their pet? About how long did it take them to recover? My house is full of stairs and I am so worried I am carrying a 80lbs lab up and down stairs to go out and pee etc. I first noticed the injury last night as she would not go anywhere near the stairs.

Was surgery necessary for your dog? Any idea the approximate costs so I could save?

Any information you could also provide to keep a very active lab calm so she doesn't further injure herself would be appreciated.

One of my dogs had this issue. I did end up having to have surgery but unfortunately I cannot remember the cost. I do know that my sister was working at the vet hospital that I took my dog to so I think I got a discount of some sort. I do think it was over 500 though but again I don't remember.

As for treatment after surgery. My dog was in a cast for a few weeks and after that I had to limit her running and no walking up the stairs. I did buy a large tub that I filled with water and then held her in place in the water so she would "swim". I was told that swimming or in my case simulated smimming was the best therapy for her knee.

Also as an fyi, this all took place about 13 years ago so obviously the prices are likely different now.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide more info then that but I hope it helps.

Good luck.

I haven't had this problem with my dogs, but a friend did. I don't know the specifics on recovery, etc. But he did say they chose to not have the surgery because it was going to be pretty expensive and they couldn't say the surgery would necessarily fix it. Their Newfoundland walks around fine now. Your injury may be different than what they had, but I would be sure to ask the percentage chance the injury will be fully fixed via surgery versus letting it heal on its own.

My 90 pound Rotty tore her cruciate ligaments in both knees. Within 6 months of each other. We had surgery on both, one at a time of course. The cost was around 1800 each knee. Took about 6 to 8 weeks to recover. You have to carry them up and down all stairs, and also pick them up from laying down. Then after a week or so, you can put a towel under their lower half and kinda carry some of their weight for them. They never fully recover IMO. She is almost 7 and limps on occasion and can't run full force. The doctor told me if we didn't have it repaired then it would become a bigger and bigger problem in the future. Good luck!!

Well I can't really offer you any advice hockey, but I did wanna come in here and wish you and Calli the best of luck with everything and I hope your pup gets feeling better soon.

I'm sure there's a vet or someone "in the know" on here, that can hopefully help you out.

Sorry to hear about your dog's knee - I hope that you are able to find a good option that will allow her to recover from this as much as possible.

I don't have experience with this issue but I do know that the members over at http://www.lab-retriever.net are great with giving advice for this sort of thing. That forum has been a great resource for me with the issues I've had with my lab and I have seen many topics involving the kind of situation you describe.

Hope she recovers ASAP.

My dog had that happen. They told us that it would be $900 for the surgery and it could tear again very easily. We decided not to have the surgery. I did carpet our stairs and laid down rugs on part of our hardwood floors that she crosses daily. It took a while to heal, probably a year or so, but she is 13 now and still runs like Barry Sanders.

Thanks everyone for the info. Definitely some somber type news. Calli's going to get a new toy on my way home today.

I am going to read up some more but my major concern is all the stairs in my house. I don't want her to be in a bunch of pain just going throughout her home.

She use to love running up the stairs anytime she heard her leash shake and now she won't go near stairs.

Hopefully she can heal up as she is pretty young at 4-5. If anyone else has any stories, or suggestions I would continue to like to hear them.

Thanks everyone.

I've had this problem, lately, with one dog. (One knee about 5 years ago, the other a few months ago.)

My dog is likely unusual, though. She's an (overweight) Sheltie. (Miniature Collie. Ought to weigh about 25 lbs or so, but she's around 40 now.)

(The literature the vet gave me says that this problem is common, but in much larger dogs. Labs and such. It's rare in dogs as small as mine.)

The one five years ago really didn't seem to bother her. Reason I took her to the vets was that she was literally chasing squirrels on three legs.

Surgery was routine. In and out in a few hours. She had to wear a "lamp shade" on her head, to keep her from chewing the stitches, but other than that I was told to not allow her to climb stairs or to get on or off the furniture for six weeks. (But the dog was ready to at least jump down after a few days.)

This second one is more complicated. For a while, there, she was literally unable to stand without assistance. X-rays show that she has arthritis in the knee that had the surgery 5 years ago. (This is, supposedly, common, after such surgery.) The vet's theory is that her excess weight, combined with the arthritis, is making it hard for her to use the un-injured leg to compensate for the injured one, and this might complicate her recovery.

Her current status is that she's on a diet. The diet doesn't seen to be reducing her weight much, but for some reason she's compensating, anyway. She's walking around the place relatively normally, now.

I may decide not to have the surgery. Mainly because I'm afraid of how having surgery for the dog will affect Mom.

Lately, she's been occasionally making comments to me about how dumb that guy was who told her to have the dog put to sleep. No such conversation has ever happened. I don't know if she's remembering a dog we had, 12 years ago, who she had to put to sleep, or if "The vets (two of them) have told me tha they recommend surgery for the dog, and I've told Mom about it" has become "A vet told Mom to kill her dog" in Mom's mind.

It makes things tough when the person who's nominally In Charge Of Things is irrational.

But if I were the only person involved, the plan would be to have the dog lose about 5 lbs, then have the surgery.

We had this happen to our black lab when she was still a few months old. From what I remember the surgery was pretty expensive, somewhere between $1000-$2000. We went ahead and did it. It was tough at first after b/c she was really limited in her movement (doctors said not to let her move around much at all, which is tough for a lab puppy). To this day however she still has issues if we take her on a long hike, she's noticeably limping for a few hours after.

I guess the really tough question to answer is "is the dog better off with or without the surgery?"

Unfortunately, that's a really tough question to answer.

Are things, after surgery, guaranteed to have no complications? No.

Can the dog have a life without the surgery? At least in my case, yeah.

Will that life be better with the surgery? :whoknows: All I can do is trust my vet.

I guess the really tough question to answer is "is the dog better off with or without the surgery?"

Unfortunately, that's a really tough question to answer.

Are things, after surgery, guaranteed to have no complications? No.

Can the dog have a life without the surgery? At least in my case, yeah.

Will that life be better with the surgery? :whoknows: All I can do is trust my vet.

I think that's where it comes down to. I love my pup, hope she can recover but 2k with the easy possibility to re injuring it, and the possible rehab makes me worry.

I've only had her for a few years from the rescue. I trust my vet office but sometimes at least with some of our previous visits it seems when you ask the price of something the vet always seems to give you a weird look.

Like how could you possibly put a price on your dog. It's not that I want to. It's that I have to.

My dog tore his knee ligament. He was 9. He is smaller than a lab, about 35 lbs. The vet said that surgery would help, but would not repair it to the point where it was.

That was about a year ago, and now Frisco is as lively as ever. It took a while, he limped around for a long time and he was hesitant about jumping up or down, and even climbing the steps sometimes.

But now he romps and plays with my other dog (a Jack Russel / Beagle.. she's a VERY active dog) like he always did, he trots up and down the steps, chases rabbits out of the backyard and runs HARD after them, and he even can jump up on the bed on his own now, which he couldn't do 3 months ago.

Sometimes after a hard run I notice that he favors it a little, but overall it hasn't slowed him down too much at all.

~Bang

My Germen Shepherd had been limping on his back rear left leg for several months after we would play ball or he would lay down for awhile and get up. He would lip for a few moments and it seemed after he walked for a bit he would be fine.

Well I scheduled a vet appointment finially and wouldnt you know it he stops limping (the story of my life), well I take him to the vet and the vet feels his back leg and says he has a torn acl. Of course I could do surgery but he still hasnt limped and seems fine, its the craziest thing.... He runs just fine like he has zero problems. I am going to keep an eye on it.

The vet showed me a model of a dog's leg when I took mine in,, there is no ball in socket type joint, their knee is simply the upper leg bone and lower leg bone held together by three ligaments. No cap,, and he said that a torn ligament is a common injury for dogs simply because of their anatomy.

~Bang

Bump with an update. So my dog has been afraid of the stairs since she hurt herself.

Well today after I carried her down stairs to let her outside I forgot to put the gate up. I went upstairs to do some laundry and low and behold she came all the way up the stairs on her own!

This was a huge milestone as she was scared of the steps for about a week and some change plus it means hopefully her knee is getting better.

I am still going to limit her movement for another week or until her pain meds are done but so very happy she is mentally getting better and hopefully physically too! Words cannot really explain how happy I was seeing my buddy doing better.

Time to break out her Redskins collar for a job well done :)

Bump with an update. So my dog has been afraid of the stairs since she hurt herself.

Well today after I carried her down stairs to let her outside I forgot to put the gate up. I went upstairs to do some laundry and low and behold she came all the way up the stairs on her own!

This was a huge milestone as she was scared of the steps for about a week and some change plus it means hopefully her knee is getting better.

I am still going to limit her movement for another week or until her pain meds are done but so very happy she is mentally getting better and hopefully physically too! Words cannot really explain how happy I was seeing my buddy doing better.

Time to break out her Redskins collar for a job well done :)

Cool.. be careful, if it is torn she can hurt herself if she tries to do too much too fast.

My dog took about two weeks before he hobbled up the steps on his own. I've noticed his shoulders have gotten larger,, he uses his front legs a lot more on the steps now, and he's getting ripped :ols:

Point is, she'll adapt.

~Bang

Cool.. be careful, if it is torn she can hurt herself if she tries to do too much too fast.

My dog took about two weeks before he hobbled up the steps on his own. I've noticed his shoulders have gotten larger,, he uses his front legs a lot more on the steps now, and he's getting ripped :ols:

Point is, she'll adapt.

~Bang

Yeah it's one of those I wish she hadn't done it because I've been very careful with her movement this week (which leads to a lot of lifting in a splitlevel townhouse!) but I at least took some good out of it.

Any sort of wishful thinking i guess :)

Archived