Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republican senator says he backs birther lawsuits

Hunter44

Republican senator says he backs birther lawsuits

Jul 12, 9:23 PM (ET)

By BEN EVANS

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republican Sen. David Vitter of Louisiana says he supports conservative organizations challenging President Barack Obama's citizenship in court.

Vitter, who is running for re-election, made the comments at a town hall-style event in Metairie, La., on Sunday when a constituent asked what he would do about what the questioner said was Obama's "refusal to produce a valid birth certificate."

Such claims about Obama's birth certificate have been discredited. But with the crowd applauding the question, Vitter responded that although he doesn't personally have legal standing to bring litigation, he supports "conservative legal organizations and others who would bring that to court," according to a video of the event.

"I think that is the valid and most possibly effective grounds to do it," Vitter said, although he later cautioned that the matter could distract from policy issues.

"I think if we focus on that issue and let our eye off the ball ... I think that's a big mistake," he said. "I'm not dismissing any of this. I think first and foremost, we need to fight the Obama agenda at the ballot box starting this fall."

So-called birthers have challenged Obama's standing as president by arguing that he was not born in the United States.

Hawaii officials have repeatedly confirmed the president's citizenship, and his Hawaiian birth certificate has been made public, along with newspaper birth notices published when he was born in 1961.

Last year, a federal judge in Washington threw out a lawsuit on the issue, calling the case a waste of the court's time and suggesting the plaintiff's attorney may have to compensate the president's lawyer.

Vitter said at Sunday's event that the only direct information he has about the issue is what he's learned through the news media "filter." His spokesman did not respond to a question Monday about whether the senator questions Obama's citizenship.

A spokesman for Rep. Charlie Melancon, a Democrat challenging Vitter, called the birth certificate issue "nonsense."

"While Louisiana families are suffering from the biggest man-made disaster in history, David Vitter is trying to score political points by perpetuating a completely debunked conspiracy theory," spokesman Jeff Giertz said.

:beatdeadhorse: I wonder if this'll help him...:silly: Probably.

Well, in all fairness to DimVitter, maybe he's just suggesting that Obama do a Lebron type show called, The Certificate.

An hour long show on all the major networks, of except for Faux, of course, where the President would get to do his favorite thing, listening to himself talk, for an hour.

Hell. it would save, or create, more jobs than his Simulate Package did. :silly:

The things that whore/politicians (DimVitter, in this instance) will say to get elected.:doh:

Forget that this is bad for Vitter and his carrier, this kind of thing is bad for...

1 The republican party,

2 America in general.

This type of stupidity is very divisive and only serves to drive a wedge in between the parties.

It was just like the Clinton investigation... bad Idea. If They had not done that, they would not have lost seats. The more that fringe nut-jobs push the "investigative" agenda, the further they push themselves out of office. The bad news for the party is that they cannot understand this.

Well, in all fairness to DimVitter, maybe he's just suggesting that Obama do a Lebron type show called, The Certificate.

An hour long show on all the major networks, of except for Faux, of course, where the President would get to do his favorite thing, listening to himself talk, for an hour.

Hell. it would save, or create, more jobs than his Simulate Package did. :silly:

The things that whore/politicians (DimVitter, in this instance) will say to get elected.:doh:

WOW! I would SO watch that!

Forget that this is bad for Vitter and his carrier, this kind of thing is bad for...

1 The republican party,

2 America in general.

This type of stupidity is very divisive and only serves to drive a wedge in between the parties.

It was just like the Clinton investigation... bad Idea. If They had not done that, they would not have lost seats. The more that fringe nut-jobs push the "investigative" agenda, the further they push themselves out of office. The bad news for the party is that they cannot understand this.

IMO this issue(lawsuit) will be TOTALLY irrelevant come election time.

There is so much on the plates of so many that this does not even rate a blip on the radar.

Dear birthers, Obama and the Dems WANT YOU to talk about this - that should clue you in that your tin foil hats are frying your few remaining brain cells.

WHY DO THEY WANT THIS??? Simple. They'd rather have you talk about well known and thoroughly debunked crap as opposed to REAL ISSUES that might just impact them come election time...

Dear birthers, Obama and the Dems WANT YOU to talk about this - that should clue you in that your tin foil hats are frying your few remaining brain cells.

WHY DO THEY WANT THIS??? Simple. They'd rather have you talk about well known and thoroughly debunked crap as opposed to REAL ISSUES that might just impact them come election time...

.....Yeah, like the carbon tax.

I think this should be an ES smiley:

f687c086.gif

IMO this issue(lawsuit) will be TOTALLY irrelevant come election time.

There is so much on the plates of so many that this does not even rate a blip on the radar.

I hope so. As someone who is in the middle, I am hoping for the best candidate to win, rather than the flavor of the month.

Thoroughly debunked? :ols::ols:

The mere fact this issue still has standing in political circles makes those that continue to refuse to inform themselves about this issue seem like......sheep. New information has become available that I would like to share later as i'm pressed for time now.

The mere fact this issue still has standing in political circles makes those that continue to refuse to inform themselves about this issue seem like......sheep. New information has become available that I would like to share later as i'm pressed for time now.

You know, there's just not an :ols: big enough.

~Bang

^^^This guy, right here, is why I, as somebody on the right, have been worried since this issue started that this would be the "Truther" movement of the right. :doh: And it's the same tired formula....those you believe in the conspiracy are "informed" and those who accept the truth are "sheep." It's almsot ironic how the people that fall into lock-step with a conspiracy movement call others "sheep."

And for the record, "We're just asking questions" = "We have no idea what the **** we're talking about, we just keep moving the goalposts so you can never truly prove us wrong."

New information has become available that I would like to share later as i'm pressed for time now.
:bsflag:

I'm quoting this; I expect something by this time tomorrow the latest.

Oh, and no using Jerome Corsi or WND.

EDIT: Ghost, Corsi's a Birther AND Truther (and an economic :dunce: ).

And for the record, "We're just asking questions" = "We have no idea what the **** we're talking about, we just keep moving the goalposts so you can never truly prove us wrong."

:ols: :ols:

man, we really need a bigger :ols: for threads like this.. this little :ols: just doesn't convey how hard I am :ols:ing

~Bang

I'm quoting this; I expect something by this time tomorrow the latest.

Oh, and no using Jerome Corsi or WND.

EDIT: Ghost, Corsi's a Birther AND Truther (and an economic :dunce: ).

Now see, here you are trying to suppress information by not letting him use insane people as his source! You're part of the conspiracy!

And I know that "Truthers" are on both sides of the spectrum, but just like the "Birthers" they are generally associated with 1 side due mostly to an irrational hatred for a person (Bush or Obama) who they see as the ringleader. So while it's not fair to stick the left with Truthers and the right with Birthers, well....there's a reason each side is associated with them.

Edit: Now that I think about it....I do wonder how large the overlap is between the 2 conspiracy groups. Seems like if you're dumb enough to fall for one, you're dumb enough to fall for the other (working both ways).

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a live one....

as a huge opponent of republicans, i beg you to keep it up.

Archived