Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Fantasy Football Thread

Hubbs

No, this isn't a thread for an ES league. I'm sure we'll see enough of those. This is a thread for discussions relevant to anyone playing fantasy this year. Identifying sleepers, analyzing major roster moves, arguing about which rookies deserve serious draft consideration, etc.

I felt prompted to start this thread after seeing Aaron Rodgers listed as this season's #1 fantasy QB. Really? Aaron Rodgers? Yes, he put up the most points at his position in some scoring systems. But even the most consistent players will swing 10-15% in either direction every year. Draft position isn't about expecting next season's stats to be carbon copies of last season's. It's the opposite, really. Otherwise drafting would be easy. Both Rodgers and Peyton Manning could throw for 40 touchdowns in 2010. Both Rodgers and Drew Brees could throw for 5,000 yards. Which is more likely to actually do so?

Rodgers has only started for two seasons. He's been great in both, but that's not enough for me to put him ahead of the guys who seem like they could make the Pro Bowl in their sleep. Am I alone on this, or are there a lot of people who really would take Rodgers first if given the chance?

I think Rodgers could be a top 3 fantasy QB, but the #1 QB seems a little crazy. Manning and Brees should be up at the top and I wouldn't be shocked to see Rodgers finish #3.

This is the first time in awhile that I can remember there not being a clear cut #1 overall pick. I don't think you could go wrong with either AP or Chris Johnson. I personally would take AP because the Vikes are a better team and you know he can get the TDs.

I think Rodgers could be a top 3 fantasy QB, but the #1 QB seems a little crazy. Manning and Brees should be up at the top and I wouldn't be shocked to see Rodgers finish #3.

This is the first time in awhile that I can remember there not being a clear cut #1 overall pick. I don't think you could go wrong with either AP or Chris Johnson. I personally would take AP because the Vikes are a better team and you know he can get the TDs.

I thought about that too...AP vs. CJ will be an interesting choice at the top of the draft.

I thought about that too...AP vs. CJ will be an interesting choice at the top of the draft.

Even more reason to not want the first overall pick this year. Usually I'd rather be picking a little bit into the second half of the first round. You have to put a lot of eggs into one basket if you pick first.

I had Rodgers last year and he did GREAT for me. I also had Ray Rice. I would love to get both again. Would I take Rodgers with a first pick? I don't know. I don't know who should go at number 1 this year. I have to get into football mode.

Like him or not, Romo sits to pee will give you plenty of points if you have him on your team. :D
What about Miles Austin? One hit wonder, or good as he was?

Same for Jerome Harrison.

And how will Schaub/Johnson be w/o Kyle as coach?

Same for Fitz w/o Warner.

In the leagues I've played in I've never taken a QB with the first pick but I've only ever played in leagues that start one QB. I will always roll with RBs and WRs first. I love having a strong foundation there and waiting on a QB. I feel like even after the 2-3 top tier QBs go off the board there's still plenty of quality to be had after that. I'd rather spend my early picks on RBs and WRs.

That being said I've read the same thing about Aaron Rodgers projected as the top QB this year. It doesn't surprise me especially in keeper and/or dynasty leagues. He is younger (26) than Brees (31), Manning (34) & Brady (32). I'd still take P. Manning if I had to. He's just consistently solid every week. And it doesn't seem to matter who his receivers are. Always productive. In my 3-man keeper league last year Manning fell into my lap in the forth rd. I had to take him. Of course, I am trying to trade him for another stud RB before the draft comes around. :)

I'm wondering how Malcomb Floyd does out of the gate this year without V-Jax in the mix.

What about Miles Austin? One hit wonder, or good as he was?

I have a feeling he's gonna pick up right where he left off...

I'm staying away from Fitz. Someone will take him way too early because they expect his stats to stay the same.

Now, Percy Harvin, on the other hand....

True enough, but Fitz will still be a solid 2nd receiver. Harvin's stats depend on whether Favre returns.

Sleeper of the draft...Devin Thomas! Not because I'm a homer, but with the experience Kyle Shanahan has with WRs + McNabb=fantasy goodness!

Oh, I don't think that's homerism at all. He compares very, very well to Sidney Rice's situation last year. Big, very physically gifted WR who was still a bit raw coming out of college, posted unimpressive numbers in his first two seasons with a non-Pro Bowl, non-West Coast QB throwing to him. Then a multi-Pro Bowl WC quarterback arrived to run the offense right as he became a magical Third Year Receiver.

I'm very high on Thomas. And The Comb is definitely on my late-round sleeper list.

True enough, but Fitz will still be a solid 2nd receiver. Harvin's stats depend on whether Favre returns.

Whether? Please. Even if this wasn't Brett Favre, he went out and got the surgery he needed to throw at 100%. He's coming back. And Harvin is his Welker.

Don't sleep on Ray Rice either as the #1 back.

It's going to be a draft day decision for me between him and Chris Johnson at #1. My gut is saying Rice is going to have a monster season.

As far as Rodgers being the #1 QB, I agree with it. Look at the numbers he put up last year behind one of, if not the worst offensive line in the NFL. I expect him to top Brees this season.

First and second round picks are gimmies.

Fantasy Leagues are won by the #2 RBs, #3 and #4 WRs. These types of guys include:

RB: Ronnie Brown (devalued because of injury 3rd or 4th round), Jammal Charles(devalued because of KC's offense 3rd or 4th round), Matt Forte (devalued because of poor year prior 4th or 5th round)

Santana Moss (devalued because of poor past couple of years 6th or 7th round), Lee Evans (devalued because of poor year prior 5th or 6th round), Malcolm Flyod (Value climbing due to Jackson's suspension 3rd or 4th round)

These guys paired with some good drafting in the early rounds will equal championship.

I am thinking about drafting a QB with my top two picks and then drafting RBs and WRs. In two QB leagues. Last year Brees and Brady took me to the playoffs for the first time. I think if I can find a way to draft Rodgers and a somebody rated lower, like Romo sits to pee :puke:, I should be able to find a RB and have another good season.

It's going to be a draft day decision for me between him and Chris Johnson at #1. My gut is saying Rice is going to have a monster season.

If you believe it in your gut, do it. The "safe" pick doesn't always work out.

I say from experience because I had third pick last year. I was selling Chris Johnson to EVERYBODY, expected him to have a monster year. I just didn't have the balls to make the pick, and took the "safe" Matt Forte instead.

Managed to make the playoffs because of huge years from Favre and Ray Rice, but I would have destroyed everybody if I only went with my gut.......

Guys, if you want to play the best fantasy football game on the net check out paythefan. Paid out $50,000 or $75,000 (can't remember which) to the winner last year. And if you finish in the top 100 you win money. You can also win league prizes (money). And when you sign up it prompts you to tell what your favorite team is. It then puts you in a league with other Redskins fans.

It uses a pretty standard format: You pick 1 QB each week. 2 RB. 2 WR. 1 TE. 1 K. And 1 D/ST. The catch is, you can only use the same player or D/ST twice over the course of the season. So there's where the real strategy comes into play. I can't tell you how much fun this game is. They also have a message board there to talk smack on lol.

Only downside is, and this might affect alot of you, is that you aren't eligible to play (or at least win money) if you live in MD. Something about how the laws are in MD. I guess its considered gambling in that state. But there are only a handful of states that are like this, as far as playing the game.

They haven't started signups yet for this year though. But the word is, its supposed to happen in the next week or so. Check it out! You can still go to the site now, though, and read up on the rules.

In my league we are entering our 18th season! No turnover from year to year either. My team name is Fun Bunch and I'm also the commish. We get rings from Jostens to the winner.

Being serious about fantasy football is when the 8 games on one screen come in VERY handy!!!

No, this isn't a thread for an ES league. I'm sure we'll see enough of those. This is a thread for discussions relevant to anyone playing fantasy this year. Identifying sleepers, analyzing major roster moves, arguing about which rookies deserve serious draft consideration, etc.

I felt prompted to start this thread after seeing Aaron Rodgers listed as this season's #1 fantasy QB. Really? Aaron Rodgers? Yes, he put up the most points at his position in some scoring systems. But even the most consistent players will swing 10-15% in either direction every year. Draft position isn't about expecting next season's stats to be carbon copies of last season's. It's the opposite, really. Otherwise drafting would be easy. Both Rodgers and Peyton Manning could throw for 40 touchdowns in 2010. Both Rodgers and Drew Brees could throw for 5,000 yards. Which is more likely to actually do so?

Rodgers has only started for two seasons. He's been great in both, but that's not enough for me to put him ahead of the guys who seem like they could make the Pro Bowl in their sleep. Am I alone on this, or are there a lot of people who really would take Rodgers first if given the chance?

While you make a great point about about Rodgers being #1 I think you have to look at the potential he could put up in the offense with young weapons who are continuing to develop and mature. He now has 2 legitimate threats at TE with Donald Lee and Jermichael Finley. He has one of the most consistent WR's in Donald Driver. Jennings is always a big play threat and Jordy Nelson and James Jones are developing into solid #3 and #4 options

While yes Manning, Brees, even Brady could be higher than Rodgers, Rodgers has the highest potential to be a premier QB and be the #1 QB in all of fantasy and these rankings truly are based on production last year as well as potential this year

Archived