Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Team Ever???

The Sir

There was a thread about this on a different message board and it started some interesting conversation. The actual thread was top 5 teams ever, but this is easier. Its kind of hard to go against the undefeated 72 Dolphins team. Here is my post from the other board:

The 1991 Washington Redskins were undefeated until week 13 when they lost on a fluke play against the Dallas Cowboys. They also lost the last game of the season to the Eagles because they played their backups all game. The first game against that Eagle team, they beat them 23-0. This team finished the season 14-2 but could have easily been 16-0. In the postseason, they routed the Falcons and Lions by a combined score of 65-17. They beat the Bills pretty easily in the superbowl, 37-24. This team had the #1 offense in the league and the #2 Defense in the league. This was back when the NFC East was the toughest division and the NFL all together had more parity than it did in 1972. I wont say that this is the best team, because I cant go against a team that went undefeated, but this was definately the 2nd best team ever.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

If the Skins won Super Bowl 18 against the Raiders that would be the best team ever bar none. However they didn't so its definitley in my opinion the 1985 Bears with how they dominated.

I'd have to agree with the '85 Bears, at least in the modern era.

Oh, and back in '91, if Cunningham doesn't blow out his knee in the first game of the season, that final game in Philly could have been for all the marbles.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Maybe this year. :shoothead

bears 85 do not impress me on offense at all.

and they played a bad new england team in the sb.

the 91 skins have to be up there, along with the 84 49ers. the giants 86 team was pretty tough as well.

i think you have to look at how good were the teams in the league on certain years

The sad thing about the '83 Skins was that both of their regular season losses were by ONE POINT each, 31-30 to the Cowboys on the opening Monday night game, and 48-47 to the Packers, also a Monday night game.

Had they won the SB that year they would have been an all time powerhouse, but because they didn't, it has to go to the 9'1 Redskins

Originally posted by TC4

The sad thing about the '83 Skins was that both of their regular season losses were by ONE POINT each, 31-30 to the Cowboys on the opening Monday night game, and 48-47 to the Packers, also a Monday night game.

Had they won the SB that year they would have been an all time powerhouse, but because they didn't, it has to go to the 9'1 Redskins

You know what is really F'd up about that '83 superbowl is that it all came down to preparation. I guess it was easier to party since they had won the year before. Oakland obviously wanted it a lot more than the Skins.:rolleyes:

1) Steelers

2) Forty-Niners

3) ....I'd rather not say, but they repeated also & were dominating (though much more short lived).

'72 DOLPHINS: Too much "fate". If Sonny hadn't broken his leg in the NFC championship no one would know who the '72 dolphins were.

'85 BEARS: Way too lobsided defense & offense. There is no way McMann can QB the best team of all time.

I think higher of the SF & the un-named repeaters than the Dolphins or Bears. And if we had won the SB18, I'd put that team right up there, probably 3rd & un-named 4rth. Crying shame, we went into that game way too ****y.

The last game of the season for the '91 team against the Eagles... the starters built a comfortable lead going into halftime. Gibbs then pulled everybody to start the second half... and they blew it. But if Gibbs really wanted the game.. it was there.

Emphasis being on the team, luck, consistancy, contributions, then

in order.

The 1972 Dolphins

The 1985 Bears

The 1976 Steelers

The 1967 Packers

The 1991 Redskins

The 1989 49ers

The 1986 Giants

The 1970 Cheifs

The 1973 Dolphins

The 1983 Redskins

The 1975 Raiders

The 1999 Ravens

The 1980 Cowboys

The 2000 Rams

The 1990 Bills

The 1988 Bills

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

The 85 Bears did have Walter Payton and Willie Gault on offense. They weren't that one-dimensional.

That's right. They had the #1 rushing offense in football that year. Payton rushed for 1551 yards and 9 TDs.

either 84 niners or 85 bears. The bears lost a monday night game to Marino led dolphins with McMahon sitting on the side lines because of injury. they were very dominating. I know offense is sexy because of points scored, but football has two sides, defense and offense and a strong defensive team has to be considered. The bears didn't light it up offensively but they were a good efficient offense (unlike the Ravens a few years back who had an inept offense). If I had to really choose one, then it would be the 85 bears.

Originally posted by Die Hard

The last game of the season for the '91 team against the Eagles... the starters built a comfortable lead going into halftime. Gibbs then pulled everybody to start the second half... and they blew it. But if Gibbs really wanted the game.. it was there.

Die Hard,

The lead wasn't that comfortable at halftime. I believe it was 14-7, with the Eagles 7 coming from an Otis Smith INT return. I'm sure Gibbs would have loved to have the game, but wanted his team intact for the playoffs. On one of Rypien's last plays of that game, he took a huge sack from White and Brown and was obviosuly shaken up. He had to sit. How many times was Rypien sacked that season? Maybe 7 or 8 times total? Five were by the Eagles, if I recall.

For the Eagles, it was their Super Bowl - they were eliminated the week before and the defense was hitting anything that moved. Also rememeber, the Eagles had Jeff Kemp (!) at QB - they had nothing on offense.

Gibbs played it smart - he needed all of his players as healthy as possible, had home-field wrapped up, and was facing a good team with an excellent defense that had nothing to lose, and played like it.

As far as that Redskins team being the best of all time? They were very good, but their main competition, the 49ers and Eagles were crippled by injury that year and neither team made the playoffs with 10-6 records. Also, the Giants had entered the Ray Handley era. Without those teams involved, the Redskins drew the Falcons and Lions and blew them both out. They were easily the best team that year, but had the 49ers, Giants and Eagles (the better teams in the late 80's early 90's) been whole, they would not have had such an easy time in the regular season.

I still consider them in the Top 10, but I think the '83 Redskins were just as good, if not better, even though they didn't win it all.

Another thing to consider when you talk about the Skins 91 team is that they played the best team from the AFC in the Super Bowl. And the Bills were the best by far!

Like people have said about the Bears 85 team, they played a Cinderella in the SB.

Despite that (and the fact that I truly believe the Skins were one Hail Mary away from being 16-0) I think you have to say the 49er team that lost once and crushed a good Miami team in the SB is the best.

And Blazers, the score was 19-7 at halftime when the starters came out. Now, of course, they still may have lost, but it would have been extremely uncharacteristic for Gibbs to blow that lead with something on the line with his starters. Just my opinion.

Had Sonny Jurgensen not torn his achilles stepping in that Yankee Stadium sprinkler in 1972, we would not even be considering an undefeated Dolphins team. The Skins would have won that Super Bowl and gotten some serious consideration.

I wonder how many other teams we'd be talking about in this thread if it weren't for freak injuries or occurrances. How would the Oilers have looked in the Super Bowl if it weren't for the comeback of Frank Reich? How would the Browns have looked in the Super Bowl if Byner hadn't fumbled? Would Buffalo have taken the Niners in the Super Bowl or would it have been a Niners blowout if Roger Craig hadn't put the ball on the ground against the Giants? You probably wouldn't put Sott Norwood and "wide right" in the same sentance if that were that case.

I guess that's makes being a fan so much fun. The deserving or "best" team doesn't always get to or win the Super Bowl. Things can turn on one play or one misstep.

Look at just four plays that COULD have made a difference in determining the Super Bowl Champs.

1. Dallas' Jackie Smith drops a TD pass against Bradshaw's Steelers.

2. Scott Norwood misses wide right against the Giants.

3. Billy Kilmer's pass to a wide open Jerry Smith hits the goal post

in SB VII (the posts were moved to the back of the endzone the following year).

4. Giants INT return for a TD against the Ravens called back because of a questionable penalty call.

I'm sure there are many more but the outcomes of these games could have been different.

My point is that many of the teams listed were definitely great but we could just as easily be talking about others as well. That's the great thing about NFL Football. :)

Archived