Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terminator 2: "Special Edition"

Larry

I'm watching my Terminator 2 DVD, and I'm watching the "special Edition". (My DVD has two versions, the special edition and the original theatrical version.)

And I feel obligated to post, here, that I really like this special edition. It's got a whole bunch more character interaction than what I remember from watching the version in the theater. I must have watched this movie a dozen times, and I must have watched the theatrical version, because I keep seeing scenes that I'm certain I haven't seen before. And I like the added scenes.

(Either that, or I'm turning into a Florida Old Fart, and I'm losing my memory, and I'm enjoying being surprised by all of the things I forgot.)

(Good thing about Alzheimer's? You can hide your own Easter eggs.)

I seem to remember watching a documentary awhile back where Cameron said that he edited out a substantial amount of film so he could stay under 3 hours, thinking that people would begin to lose interest in the movie if it went on for that long. I could be wrong though, but either way, I will definitely pick this up.

Oh, I never really thought these films had a whole lot of plot, or anything. I don't try to apply logic to them, or anything.

To me, the good thing about T2 was "Arnold is the Good Guy".

(Part of me wishes that the scene "I swear I will not kill any one." was in the trailers. But it would have given away too much.)

(And speaking of trailers, I thought that the first, teaser, trailer was the best trailer I've ever seen. Tells you absolutely nothing about the movie, but you want to see it, anyway.)

us3ggae8-Ec

Oh, I never really thought these films had a whole lot of plot, or anything. I don't try to apply logic to them, or anything

T2 had a hell of a plot and the underlying emotional connection of the boy (who had no father) to the Terminator was brilliant.

An interesting note. There was a screenplay written for Terminator 2 before the Judgement Day script. It was going to be a 3D movie and would have sucked. They really dodged a bullet with that one.

Kicked ass, but a lot of people don't respect it anymore because of the special effects being so outdated. It still doesn't sniff T2 though.

Actually, my theory is that T1 would have been better if they'd eliminated all of the "future" scenes. The effects weren't much good, and they actually, IMO, detract from the movie.

Don't show the audience the scenes of the future warriors fighting the killer robots. It's a better movie without them.

Let them all think that Reese is a loony psycho, until Arnold takes a shotgun to the chest and gets up.

I've also always wondered: Originally, Arnold wasn't supposed to play the terminator. Lance Henrickson was supposed to be the terminator, and Arnold was supposed to play Reese, the biggest, baddest, toughest guy the humans could find to send back, naked, to fight a terminator.

How different that movie would have been with that casting. Better? :whoknows:

Kicked ass, but a lot of people don't respect it anymore because of the special effects being so outdated. It still doesn't sniff T2 though.

What a great reflection of our film-savvy society today. People judge it because of special effects and not the dark, icy setting that Cameron so awesomely captured. The music in T1 is just the epitome of 80's synthesizer gloom, and the interactions between Arnold and the unsuspecting people he interacted with were adrenaline inducing.

And another thing, what is so "outdated" in that movie? The only thing I can think of is at the end when motion-capturing isn't so smooth. That's something I think anybody who isn't high on A.D.D. can live with when it comes to that movie.

I mean, the special effects these days in movies like Spiderman and Transformers are way to cartoony for me to appreciate. It's all about how ridiculous you can make the special effects and not about setting a strong tone.

The special effects in T1, by today's standards, are atrocious. They almost look like they're from a Troma B-Movie, not a major motion picture. Especially the last scene when Arnold is reduced to the skeletal metal form. It's still a really cool film though.

The special effects in T2, on the other hand, still look pretty damn good, even for today. Such an epic movie. Robert Patrick is the perfect T-1000. Any time that movie is on cable I stop and watch it.

What a great reflection of our film-savvy society today. People judge it because of special effects and not the dark, icy setting that Cameron so awesomely captured. The music in T1 is just the epitome of 80's synthesizer gloom, and the interactions between Arnold and the unsuspecting people he interacted with were adrenaline inducing.

Yep, I love that movie, to this day. The score was great, the action scenes were great, and Arnold was badass. I have some friends though who will absolutely not watch it. A lot of them point to the bullet retreival scene where they were using the puppet, but I always tell them to look past that.

And another thing, what is so "outdated" in that movie? The only thing I can think of is at the end when motion-capturing isn't so smooth. That's something I think anybody who isn't high on A.D.D. can live with when it comes to that movie.

The beginning battle scene from Terminator doesn't hold up well either. But that's by today's standards obviously. For 1984, they were pretty good effects. I would never say the movie as a whole isn't any good because of its effects from 25 years ago.

The theme from Terminator is easily one of my favorite film themes of all time. So awesome:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwWYOE3Y9o&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwWYOE3Y9o&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I think the updated, heavier version from T2 sounds better, but I can't find a copy of that that allows me to embed it here.

Don't show the audience the scenes of the future warriors fighting the killer robots. It's a better movie without them.

Let them all think that Reese is a loony psycho, until Arnold takes a shotgun to the chest and gets up.

A good idea. Make it so, Larry.

I've always thought that the strength of Terminator was in the "heroic love story" angle, and if there were more time to develop that angle, you've got an even better film.

I've also always wondered: Originally, Arnold wasn't supposed to play the terminator. Lance Henrickson was supposed to be the terminator, and Arnold was supposed to play Reese, the biggest, baddest, toughest guy the humans could find to send back, naked, to fight a terminator.

How different that movie would have been with that casting. Better? :whoknows:[/indent]

Probably not as good. Henrickson would've been underused playing a robot, and Arnold would've been in over his head in a fairly demanding role as Reese - especially at that point in his acting career.

The guy who ended up playing Reese is a real actor, a fact you'll appreciate more if you contrast his Reese character with his real-life persona as seen in interviews. There was actually plenty of decent acting in The Terminator, a bit more than in T2 (which was still a pretty good film, IIOR).

Eh, I enjoyed T3.

Fight scene at the end was cool.

And the T-X can terminate me anytime :hump:

And hell, at least it wasn't pussified to PG-13 like T4.

T3 had a weak R rating. you had a bombshell lead character and the best shot of her was in pitch black where you couldnt see squat. :pfft:

i enjoyed T4: Salvation. i like christian bale as john connor, and mcg saved himself slightly as a director in my eyes. so much so that i look forward to a sequel. (there i said it, i liked T4, let the flaming begin!)

i enjoyed T4: Salvation. i like christian bale as john connor, and mcg saved himself slightly as a director in my eyes. so much so that i look forward to a sequel. (there i said it, i liked T4, let the flaming begin!)

Flame! Flame! Flame!

T4 was AWFUL!!! It made no sense. How did the machines even know who John Conner was? He was just some bum off the streets at that point? Thy also had his father in captivity? Why not just shoot him in the head before he ever had the chance to go back in time and impregnate Sarah?

The beginning battle scene from Terminator doesn't hold up well either. But that's by today's standards obviously. For 1984, they were pretty good effects. I would never say the movie as a whole isn't any good because of its effects from 25 years ago.

It doesn't? What is wrong with the special effects in the battle scenes? I don't think there are any special effects outside of the explosions and lasers. If the lasers aren't your idea of what a future war looks like then I guess there's no arguing around it, but they had the same purple lasers in T2 and I think it looked fine. Nothing I ever sat there and said "yeah right" to. The two special effects in T1 that I could see someone griping about are the fast-forwarded car chases and the stop-motion being shaky at the end.

Otherwise T1 is just plain bad ass. Ahem, may I mention Terminator 2 is my favorite movie ever. :)

I mean, the special effects these days in movies like Spiderman and Transformers are way to cartoony for me to appreciate. It's all about how ridiculous you can make the special effects and not about setting a strong tone.

Agree. I LOVED T1. For me personally it's the best of the 4 easily (and for the record I loved the T2 as well). Time after time I watch T1 and I get pulled into the strong tone and vibe that is created through the setting, the darkness, the roughness and even the music. I like that T1's terminator was completely devoid of personality. No learning chip that would make him "blend in" with the population using popular vernacular of the present day. Just one objective. Termination. For any shortcomings with special effects, they're more than compensated for by everything else it does right.

T3 had a weak R rating. you had a bombshell lead character and the best shot of her was in pitch black where you couldnt see squat. :pfft:

Seriously?

As for T1, great movie. What person seriously wouldn't watch a great movie because it's effects were made off of technology from 25 years ago? Are people really that obsessed with flash over substance nowadays? I'm sure though, these are the same people who think Transformers is a good movie.

I still say the original Terminator was the best one. The Dark doom and gloom nature about it. The entire time you felt like Reese & Sarah were fighting a losing battle. They were really outgunned by Arnold the entire movie, it was mostly them just doing enough to escape each location and get on the run.

Also, there was a deleted scene at the end of Terminator, of a lab tech recovering the Terminator CPU from the destroyed warehouse, but Cameron said he cut it out because at first he wasn't sure if there was going to be a sequel, and then if they ended up doing a sequel, it could just be explained in the sequel.

Terminator 2 was good too, although the feeling of hopelessness was not the same, and it wasn't nearly as doom & gloom.

I think the first one is way underrated, especially by my generation(I turn 30 today July 12th) because growing up, the original was a little bit before our time, so almost all of my age group saw the second one first, so our first exposure to Arnold as a Terminator was as the "good guy" character.

Some of my favorite deleted scenes from T2 that were restored in the special editions where the one showing the T-1000 had in fact been taking accumulative damage. Like how his liquid morphing was starting to get sloppy and it was starting to go haywire. Good stuff.

Also, if you have the T2 Ultimate edition, before blu-rays came out, hold onto it cause I think it is the only DVD release that has the 3rd cut of the movie as well which has even a few more extended scenes. Not sure if the Extreme or Skynet version has the 3rd cut.

It doesn't? What is wrong with the special effects in the battle scenes? I don't think there are any special effects outside of the explosions and lasers. If the lasers aren't your idea of what a future war looks like then I guess there's no arguing around it, but they had the same purple lasers in T2 and I think it looked fine. Nothing I ever sat there and said "yeah right" to. The two special effects in T1 that I could see someone griping about are the fast-forwarded car chases and the stop-motion being shaky at the end.

Otherwise T1 is just plain bad ass. Ahem, may I mention Terminator 2 is my favorite movie ever. :)

It's been awhile since I've seen it, and the opening scene admittedly isn't very long, but the ships flying around and the tanks crushing human skulls just don't look very good today. The lasers look fine I guess, I've never thought too much about those since I don't really know what robotic death lasers are going to look like, but all I'm saying is, overall, the effects in T1 don't hold up very well. But I said, it's understandable considering it's from 1984.

I still think it's an excellent movie, especially since most of it doesn't really require great special effects since the film is basically built off of the atmosphere created with the plot as well as the fairly good acting between Michael Biehn, Linda Hamilton, and even Arnold (dude plays a great emotionless killing machine).

T1 is definitely the more emotional, moody sci-fi film, compared to T2 which has now become an all time classic action movie.

Archived