Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Social Security - Did You know?!?

Capt. Kaos

My father in law just sent me this lil diddy and I thought the ES tailgate may enjoy some friendly banter over it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Social Security

Just in case some of you young whippersnappers (& some older ones) didn't know this. It's easy to check out, if you don't believe it. Be sure and show it to your kids. They need a little history lesson on what's what and it doesn't matter whether you are Democrat or Republican. Facts are Facts!!!

Social Security Cards up until the 1980s expressly stated the number and card were not to be used for identification purposes. Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a number, it became convenient to use it anyway and the message was removed.[9]

Our Social Security

Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social

Security (FICA) Program. He promised:

1.) That participation in the Program would be

Completely voluntary,

No Longer Voluntary

2.) That the participants would only have to pay

1% of the first $1,400 of their annual

Incomes into the Program,

Now 7.65%

on the first $90,000

3.) That the money the participants elected to put

into the Program would be deductible from

their income for tax purposes each year,

No longer tax deductible

4.) That the money the participants put into the

independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the

general operating fund, and therefore, would

only be used to fund the Social Security

Retirement Program, and no other

Government program, and,

Under Johnson the money was moved to

The General Fund and Spent

5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income.

Under Clinton & Gore

Up to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are

now receiving a Social Security check every month --

and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of

the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put

away' -- you may be interested in the following:

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the

independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the

general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically

controlled House and Senate.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax

deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A: The Democratic Party.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social

Security annuities?

A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the

'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the

Senate, while he was Vice President of the US

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

Q: Which Political Party decided to start

giving annuity payments to immigrants?

AND MY FAVORITE:

A: That's right!

Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.

Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,

began to receive Social Security payments! The

Democratic Party gave these payments to them,

even though they never paid a dime into it!

------------ -- ------------ --------- ----- ------------ --------- ---------

Then, after violating the original contract (FICA),

the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away!

And the worst part about it is uninformed citizens believe it!

If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of

awareness will be planted and maybe changes will

evolve. Maybe not, some Democrats are awfully

sure of what isn't so.

But it's worth a try. How many people can YOU send this to?

Actions speak louder than bumper stickers.

AND CONGRESS GIVES THEMSELVES 100% RETIREMENT FOR ONLY SERVING ONE TERM!!!

One thing to consider about social security is that it isn't "yours". Its ours. Its one of those things you give up (some cash) to live in an organized society where we put a value on not having tons of old people walking around homeless. Its "our" social security, in that the dollars you put in it are our protection against you being a vagrant after you can no longer work.

You missed two important facts:

It was GOP Senate Leader Bob Dole who spearheaded the biggest FICA tax increase ever, which he consistently boasted about, promoted himself as the man who saved Social Security.

Secondly, the payouts are to LEGAL immigrants WHO HAVE BEEN PAYING INTO THE FUND FOR YEARS. Now if we didn't FORCE legal immigrants to pay Social Security, then you'd have a solid case for denying them benefits, except then you'd be spewing venom about how immigrants get away without paying Social Security taxes like the rest of us.

I think it's general accepted courtesy to not forward spam e-mail anywhere. Some people just feel compelled to do it anyway.

well, let's be fair. if we don't post it here, we're being courteous. if we don't forward it to our 6 closest friends, we might die by train.

What problem is that?

Regarding social security the fact that people should no longer feel confident in the ability of the government to manage our retirement funds but I suppose the larger problem I was alluding to would be our electorates inability to elect competent representatives from a dwindling pool of trustworthy and competent candidates.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/socialsecurity/changes.asp

Described as a mix of true and false information.

Summary:

- Social security was never voluntary.

- Social security was never locked in at 1%.

- Social security was never allowed as a tax deduction.

- Social security was never and has never been put into the general operating fund.

- Social security annuity taxation is due to both political parties.

- Social security cannot be collected by anyone who doesn't pay into the system. This includes illegal aliens.

You bet.

They're continuously circulating these phony emails so that people who check the facts will conclude that many Republicans are lying dirtbags. :silly:

:rotflmao:

The sad part about that is it's true. I see these types of emails all the time. Usually forwarded from my republican friends. Not to say that only republicans spread this type of garbage but that most of my friends that forward emails to me are republicans. I'm sure there is plenty of this trash from the democrats as well.

The thing that makes it not OK is that lots of people will read that email and take it as truth. Because of their political leanings, they'll forgo actually checking the claims and think that the democrats ruined social security. The same can be said for our democrat friend that receive and email stating the exact opposite.

Those emails do nothing but spread lies and hatred between the two dominant parties of this country. I actually appreciate when false chain emails get posted here for ES to critique and speak out against. I don't do much fact checking myself and love how ES does it for me or makes it so it's much easier to fact check. Mostly I just take those emails with a grain of salt but having the background information to refute them is even better.

There should be a law against the federal government calling anything a "trust fund." Who is less deserving of our trust? :ols:

Banks and other "trust" institutions. They just straight up steal the money and dare you to try and get it back from the convoluted bull**** they concoct to justify their having taken it.

You know, back when i was 18, just starting out, Reagan in office, it was common ****ing KNOWLEDGE that Social Security would likely not be there for my generation.

Whining about it now after doing nothing about it for all these years seems sort of pointless.

Who didn't know that we (of my generation and younger) are paying for the retirement of the Baby Boomers, and that by sheer numbers they'll break practically every program that had worked up until they start to collect?

Undeniable fact: This is nothing new. This is news to nobody

Undebniable fact: they are the largest segment of our population by far, and we are powerless to stop them from cleaning us out while they die. We will blame the politicians that THEY will vote in, and unless anyone can ever figure out how to out-vote the senior citizen block, then the politicians will continue to bear the brunt of the blame for doing what these people demand they do.

Undeniable fact: They WILL get theirs, and we will not get even a fraction of what we're paying in, if we get anything at all.

As a result, none of those things in the OP mean anything to me. They may mean something to Capt. Kaos' father in law, because he will get his. For me, it's a pipe dream. Actually, since I have never figured on it ever being there, it's not even a pipe dream. It's simply a story. A lie told to me so I will continue to fund their old age.

In fact, I'd almost guarantee that simply by their sheer numbers, none of the daily arguments on how to bring us out of debt or fix the downward spiral of this country will ever matter. If they want their benefits and entitlements, they'll simply take them regardless of the future they'll leave behind.

The thread title is misleading. "Your" social security won't exist.

~Bang

If they want their entitlements, they'll simply take them regardless of the future they'll leave behind.

~Bang

That is the problem with entitlements and our democratic system.

One the founders feared and provided safeguards for that we dismantled.

Banks and other "trust" institutions. They just straight up steal the money and dare you to try and get it back from the convoluted bull**** they concoct to justify their having taken it.

You know, back when i was 18, just starting out, Reagan in office, it was common ****ing KNOWLEDGE that Social Security would likely not be there for my generation.

Whining about it now after doing nothing about it for all these years seems sort of pointless.

Who didn't know that we (of my generation and younger) are paying for the retirement of the Baby Boomers, and that by sheer numbers they'll break practically every program that had worked up until they start to collect?

Undeniable fact: This is nothing new. This is news to nobody

Undebniable fact: they are the largest segment of our population by far, and we are powerless to stop them from cleaning us out while they die.

~Bang

Bang -

I was 22 when I realized that the SS program was a sham. I wanted out. I wanted nothing to do with it.

The difference is, I'm seven years older than you. You seem to be placing the blame on us Baby Boomers. Dude, it's not our fault. I agree that the program will be wiped out - or so diluted that the payments will be virtually meaningless in just a few more years, but blaming us Baby Boomers is wrong. I would blame the idiots before us who organized this whole mess.

Yeah, the X generation is getting screwed, but so are (admittedly to a lesser extent) the Baby boomers. The people who made out are the ones who put this thing together and are drawing off it right now.

Bottom line is, does it friggin' matter, with the inevitable global economic collapse just over the horizon?

Archived