Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox: Jimmy Buffett blames Bush for oil spill

LeesburgSkinFan

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/07/06/jimmy-buffet-organizes-gulf-benefit-blames-bush-spill/

Singer Jimmy Buffett is just another mad Gulf Coast native when it comes to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, but with an exception: He's got millions of fans and a way to help lift spirits over the seemingly endless crisis.

Buffett and his Coral Reefer Band will play Sunday on the beach in Gulf Shores, Ala., which has been sporadically hit by oil for weeks. The show already has been postponed once because of Hurricane Alex, and Buffet is hoping bad weather lurking in the Gulf doesn't create problems this weekend.

Known for laid-back tunes like "Margaritaville" and "Cheeseburger in Paradise," Buffett told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday that it's perfectly normal for people to be mad when they see oil washing up on beaches and marshes.

"If you're born and raised on the Gulf Coast and it's kind of in you, and you don't feel anger and rage initially over what's going on down there, I think you're a hypocrite," he said in a telephone interview from New York. "That's the way I felt. Now, what you do with that is a big question."

Buffett said a beachfront concert seemed like the right thing to do after talking to people on the coast.

"People were going, `What are you going to do about things?' I mean, hell, I can't stick my finger in that hole. Everybody wishes they could," said Buffett.

"But there's a huge amount of frustration and probably it will boil over in summertime anger, and I know what I've done for years is entertain. What I'm best at is two hours of escapism for people that have to go back and either live jobs that they don't like or whatever," he said. "It's that Mardi Gras mentality."

Born in Mississippi and raised in Alabama, Buffett has lived all over the Gulf Coast. He said memories of the region are laced through his music.

"I have pretty much surrounded myself with Gulf Coast influences for a long time, and ... if you listen to those songs, I think it's pretty much in there," said Buffett, 63.

Buffett, a supporter of President Barack Obama, said the roots of the spill lie with the administration of former President George Bush, which was often criticized for being too cozy with the petroleum industry.

"To me it was more about eight years of bad policy before (Obama) got there that let this happen. It was Dracula running the blood bank in terms of oil and leases," he said. "I think that has more to do with it than how the president reacted to it."

The beach concert on Sunday will also feature Jesse Winchester and Allen Toussaint, who also were in the original lineup. Country singers Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown had to drop out because of prior commitments. Buffett said he is still making phone calls trying to add additional acts for Sunday, but he's not sure of the final roster.

Buffett, a supporter of President Barack Obama, said the roots of the spill lie with the administration of former President George Bush, which was often criticized for being too cozy with the petroleum industry.

"To me it was more about eight years of bad policy before (Obama) got there that let this happen. It was Dracula running the blood bank in terms of oil and leases," he said. "I think that has more to do with it than how the president reacted to it."

If I'm not mistaken it was someone in the obama admin who signed off on the faulty part that broke and caused the spill.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the dems who have opposed offshore drilling for years and forced this company to drill so far off shore that this sort of thing is extremely dangerous, costly and has the potential of this sort of thing happening.

Had this been closer to shore, it's quite possible it would have been capped and taken care of.

If I'm not mistaken it was Obama who refused for 72 days help from other countries who had the resources we NEEDED and DIDN'T HAVE.

Yeah it was all bushs fault. He's as stupid as the Obama admin for continuing this "it's bushs fault" line we hear over and over again.

If I'm not mistaken it was someone in the obama admin who signed off on the faulty part that broke and caused the spill.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the dems who have opposed offshore drilling for years and forced this company to drill so far off shore that this sort of thing is extremely dangerous, costly and has the potential of this sort of thing happening.

Had this been closer to shore, it's quite possible it would have been capped and taken care of.

If I'm not mistaken it was Obama who refused for 72 days help from other countries who had the resources we NEEDED and DIDN'T HAVE.

Yeah it was all bushs fault. He's as stupid as the Obama admin for continuing this "it's bushs fault" line we hear over and over again.

You and Jimmy also forgot that it was the Obama Administration that authorized the EXPANSION of offshore drilling a couple weeks before this happened.

Hell with revisionist history. We've got ourselves a revisionist PRESENT.

Don't you just hate listening to know-nothing morons who parrot what they thought they heard on TV?

Parrot! Ha! I made a funny!

~Bang

He's just singing some of Obama's favorite tunes...

(You're The) Bush In Disguise - by Elvis Presley

The Night Bush Drove Old Dixie Down - Joan Baez

I Hate You My Bush - John Oszajca

The Bush Went Down To Georgia - Charlie Daniels

He sounds just like the idiots who blamed Clinton for 9/11. Blah.

See, we really need to stop taking celebrates opinions on politics seriously. I mean, think about all the know nothing entertainers that think they're suitable to run for office. Jimmy Buffet, Rosie O'Donnell, Ronald Regan.

:pfft:

Please don't kill me, Republicans. :ols:

You are mistaken about it being Dems alone forcing drill so far off shore. Florida has a ban on drilling being done in Florida Waters and that state is run by Republicans.

Why didn't the US already have on hand the resources it needed? Probably Obama's fault :silly:

Why is it news worthy that Jimmy Buffett makes a political comment? Oh it's on Faux and it was directed against their hero Bush, so obviously Faux must put it out so they can then turn it into an attack against Obama.

BTW, I agree with twa; shut up and sing.

And to anyone that thinks Jimmy Buffett's opinion on this matter is newsworthy, well I feel really sorry for you.

Jimmy Buffett is to music what Paula Dean is to the culinary arts.

Wow, you really think that?

I know his concerts and those Parrot Heads are out of control, but have you listened to some of his recent stuff?

I wished he would come out and said something on this from the start, I just wished it wasn't this. I wish he didn't choose sides. This is not one parties fault, this is the failing of the system. The finger pointing is non-productive and people's lives are being ruined. He should have stuck to raising money and awareness and not being a political terrorist.

Wow, you really think that?

Absolutely. A cultural terrorist. Mass marketed and easily digested for the masses.

But then again, professional wrestling, Ball Park Franks, and Wal Mart are also huge in this country, so we shouldn't be surprised. We Americans love tasteless, tacky, crap.

Jimmy Buffett is to music what Paula Dean is to the culinary arts.

Maybe these new lyrics will win ya over...sing along with me now:silly:

http://ace.mu.nu/

Sources close to Mr. Buffett tell me that he's re-written the lyrics of his hit song "Margaritaville" to respond to the crisis in the Gulf. Below the jump are the new lyrics.

**WORLD EXCLUSIVE**

**MUST CREDIT ACE OF SPADES HQ**

Drinking some kool-aid

Watching the sun fade

All of those seabirds covered with oil

The gusher’s still flowing

Shows no sign of slowing

Time to create a convenient foil

Throwing goodwill away with mindless BDS

Should have stuck with just singing about salt

Some people claim that Obama’s to blame

But I know…it’s that damn Bush’s fault

I don’t know the reason

But people like my wheezin’

My career is based on this one damn song

So I spout simple blather

To prove that I still somehow matter

And having these opinions proves I belong

Now I think…that this kool-aid’s at fault

I should grow out of this song

But it’s just been so long

Since I had to do anything but cruise

So I ride on my past hit

And mistakenly use it

For permission to comment on what’s in the news

Just throwing goodwill away with mindless BDS

Sill I know…it’s that damn Bush’s fault

Close it up

Maybe these new lyrics will win ya over...sing along with me now:silly:

http://ace.mu.nu/

Sources close to Mr. Buffett tell me that he's re-written the lyrics of his hit song "Margaritaville" to respond to the crisis in the Gulf. Below the jump are the new lyrics.

**WORLD EXCLUSIVE**

**MUST CREDIT ACE OF SPADES HQ**

Drinking some kool-aid

Watching the sun fade

All of those seabirds covered with oil

The gusher’s still flowing

Shows no sign of slowing

Time to create a convenient foil

I don’t know the reason

But people like my wheezin’

My career is based on this one damn song

So I spout simple blather

To prove that I still somehow matter

And having these opinions proves I belong

Now I think…that this kool-aid’s at fault

I should grow out of this song

But it’s just been so long

Since I had to do anything but cruise

So I ride on my past hit

And mistakenly use it

For permission to comment on what’s in the news

Just throwing goodwill away with mindless BDS

Sill I know…it’s that damn Bush’s fault

Close it up

That's better than anything Buffet could hope to write :ols:

Absolutely. A cultural terrorist. Mass marketed and easily digested for the masses.

But then again, professional wrestling, Ball Park Franks, and Wal Mart are also huge in this country, so we shouldn't be surprised. We Americans love tasteless, tacky, crap.

Oh 100% agreed.

I said it awhile ago in another thread here and I still stand by it: the targeted Jimmy Buffet fan is a middle aged house mom in the Midwest who likes listening to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" in her Honda CRV while day dreaming of getting away to Key West and drinking a margarita.

Buffet, to his credit, is a master marketer. He peddles this tropical island getaway dream perfectly, and he's cornered his share of the market, so I gotta give him credit there. But at the end of the day, it's still junk.

Archived