Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it possible Cooley and Davis combine for 150 catches this year?

Rutliff381

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/09/summer-scramble-2010-nfc-east-burning-questions-bold-predictio/

BOLD PREDICTION

Tight ends Chris Cooley and Fred Davis will combine for more than 150 catches in Washington, thanks to a questionable wide receiver corps, an emphasis on the running game and Donovan McNabb's short-passing proficiency.

Saw this article on NFL Fanhouse by this Dan Graziano guy and thought it raised an interesting question. How many catches for the duo this year? Im excited to see what Cooley and Davis can do together in this system. This would mean they would each average right at 5 catches a game. That's a lot but I think they can definitely do it. So long as they both stay healthy...

Just a to add a little nugget from ESPN. They had their first fantasy mock draft. Ten teams. 15(I think) rounds and Cooley went undrafted.

Not sure if that means they think he will be sharing a lot of the work with Davis or if they are unsure about his injury or what but I found that very interesting.

It would mean we had pretty damn bad wide receivers.

Exactly. And it would be MUCH better to just get above-average production, or even great production, out of our TE's and still have a WR other than Moss prove himself, so I'd rather hope that that happens, than hope that our TE's have ridiculous numbers,proving the uselessness of our young receivers.

I don't think the success is going to be based more strictly on the number of receptions but rather the quality...as in 3rd down conversions, TD's, and 20+ yard receptions. The two TE dynamic tends to add to that mismatch in the second tier. I would hope that the TE's could provide 100+ receptions; A strong number of 3rd down conversion receptions; TD's in excess of 12; and half of the 20+ yard receptions by years end. That would be highly successful and definitely amount to W's! HAIL!!!

Just a to add a little nugget from ESPN. They had their first fantasy mock draft. Ten teams. 15(I think) rounds and Cooley went undrafted.

Not sure if that means they think he will be sharing a lot of the work with Davis or if they are unsure about his injury or what but I found that very interesting.

OT but Waterfootball rips them a new one for how pathetic their mock draft is.

http://walterfootball.com/fantasy2010mock2.php

As for Cooley/Davis combining for 150 catches, it's too early to tell. It depends on how Kyle will call the old man's plays, how the WR corps pans out, how well the OL learns the new system and how many times we see Cooley in the slot with Davis at TE.

There's not any part of this team that should be taken early in any fantasy draft. I think we'll be a good team as a whole this year, but who knows which TE will get the bulk of the receptions of if they'll split, which RB will be the workhorse, which WR's will step up, if McNabb will be asked to put up big numbers or if we'll lean heavily on the run game, how our D will actually do switching to a 3-4. I know fantasy sports and the real world are two very different things (or Titans would've won the SB), but I'm just sayin...

I believe it's possible but I doubt that it will happen. I'm still expecting Santana to have a good to great year. This is a make or break year for Devin and Malcolm { I think DT has the edge over MK}. I heard Brian Mitchell say on Redskins Now that Mc Nabb really likes Fred Davis, so I think his numbers may look better than Cooley's.

I believe it's possible but I doubt that it will happen. I'm still expecting Santana to have a good to great year. This is a make or break year for Devin and Malcolm { I think DT has the edge over MK}. I heard Brian Mitchell say on Redskins Now that Mc Nabb really likes Fred Davis, so I think his numbers may look better than Cooley's.

Wow...I don't see that at all.

Cooley is a Pro Bowl TE and DM loves sure handed, go to TE's historically. There is really no reason to believe that CC will have any sort of drop off with DM. I look for CC to have his best year in the NFL and for FD to supplement with some big plays here and there. I can see DM looking for FD to get open for a big gainer, but his go to guy will absolutely be the same as JC's was...Cooley is a Pro Bowler and a Gamer!!!

Wow...I don't see that at all.

Cooley is a Pro Bowl TE and DM loves sure handed, go to TE's historically. There is really no reason to believe that CC will have any sort of drop off with DM. I look for CC to have his best year in the NFL and for FD to supplement with some big plays here and there. I can see DM looking for FD to get open for a big gainer, but his go to guy will absolutely be the same as JC's was...Cooley is a Pro Bowler and a Gamer!!!

I don't know how you can say that with certainty. I'm with you on it, but you still can't say it with that much confidence. If McNabb builds better chemistry with Davis, or just likes his play-making ability more than Cooley's, he could definitely take a large chunk of his catches, or targets.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/09/summer-scramble-2010-nfc-east-burning-questions-bold-predictio/

BOLD PREDICTION

Tight ends Chris Cooley and Fred Davis will combine for more than 150 catches in Washington, thanks to a questionable wide receiver corps, an emphasis on the running game and Donovan McNabb's short-passing proficiency.

Saw this article on NFL Fanhouse by this Dan Graziano guy and thought it raised an interesting question. How many catches for the duo this year? Im excited to see what Cooley and Davis can do together in this system. This would mean they would each average right at 5 catches a game. That's a lot but I think they can definitely do it. So long as they both stay healthy...

150 catches is a huge number from a TE tandem it would probably be the most in NFL history.

Even teams that have 2 good receiving TEs and run alot of double TE sets rarely get both TEs to put up huge numbers.

I think the impact of having 2 receiving threats at TE is evidenced more on the favorable match-ups in the passing game and in the running game it helps create then raw stats/numbers.

That being said i think it would be an awesome goal.

I love McNabb but i found this quip from the article very interesting...."McNabb's short passing proficiency"

I wish the sports media would make up their minds half the time they're talking about McNabb short passing as a weak part of his game now its short passing proficiency, lol.

I don't know how you can say that with certainty. I'm with you on it, but you still can't say it with that much confidence. If McNabb builds better chemistry with Davis, or just likes his play-making ability more than Cooley's, he could definitely take a large chunk of his catches, or targets.

Thanks CS . I'm not taking anything away from Cooley but it's not a certainity that McNabb and Cooley will be as in sync as Cooley and JC were. I hope that #5 becomes comfortable with the entire offense...it bodes well for our team. I was just saying that according to B Mitch Mc Nabb likes Davis. Maybe he's trying to build more confidence in FD,whereas Cooley is a vet and doesn't need it as much. Or maybe #5 has taking a liking to the young fella? I don't know but I'm sure that Cooley's # 's will be just fine.

Well, I am hardly an NFL coach or offensive coordinator, but I will say that the good ones find ways to create mismatches or flat out open guys in opposing defenses.

Given our current roster of recievers, I would at least be thinking about putting both TE's into play for passing and running downs.

It may create better blocking schemes, and give us two sure handed receiving targets that must be accounted for by the defense LB's or DB's.

I have to believe that McNab would be able to exploit either of our TE's defended by a DB, and if LB's are used for coverage, that will leave running lanes for the backs or McNab himself.

Even if they both were used primarly as blockers/decoys, the extra blocking beef should help wear down the opposing D better than extra WRs.

Murray, you just reminded me of something I had wanted to say, thanks! :)

All of these OL improvements have done something else that no one is really talking about. It has made it possible for us to employ 2-TE sets, without having to worry about putting a blocking TE in there.

Its well known that neither Cooley nor Davis are exceptional blockers, which no doubt held back our plans to employ them both at the same time, with a terrible offensive line who needed the help.

With solid tackles, our line can now almost certainly handle themselves without constant TE help (except TW, who may struggle against the elite rushers in the division early on).

150 sounds high maybe 100-125 if both are playing together Cooley had his best year in 2008 with 83 receptions so even if he gets back to that number that would leave 65 or so for Fred...I doubt they will have the opportunity to haul in 150 balls. That being said in 2008 Owen Daniels who played in Kyle's system in Houston had 70 catches in 16 games and that year the most catches by another TE was 11....so Cooley out played 2 guys LOL....point is Kyle likes going deep with 9 routes and deep posts..so unless Kyle tweaks his offense I don't see 150 grabs for our TE's.

has this ever happened before? indicates either Davis and Cooley are ridiculously good, or our wide recievers are ridiculously bad

i see everyone has pretty much already stated everything i said.. haha nothing like strong contributions to a thread

Archived