Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Divorse a mortal sin?

Burgold

We know that marriage is supposed to be for life. No man is supposed to render what God has joined. Yet in today's culture, divorse is not only seen as acceptible, but normal. Where many are outraged on religious and moral grounds about gay marriage they find no or at least voice no fault in those participating in divorse... those who are willfully breaking a contract they made with God.

So, which is worse or are they equal? Two people of the same gender falling in love and getting married or two people of different genders falling out of love and getting divorsed?

And if you make one a pariah... do you treat the other the same?

I went to catholic school but am not catholic so I always found it interesting how against divorce they were but it was ok to figure out a way to get the marriage annulled.

My feeling is divorce is just too easy and so is getting married. In my opinion marriage is a man made thing by which God is included.

While I don't believe it is a sin to divorce if the right reasons are there to separate (harassment, abuse, etc.) if you are leaving for purely selfish reasons (someone else is prettier, don't want to make it work, etc.) then there should be something to atone for.

Only one mortal sin in my eyes ...rejecting Jesus's gift.

Don't approve of divorce,nor do I think God does

Trying to rate wrongs is a futile exercise,as is making either example a pariah,except as far as it harms others.(though I do find the efforts to do so somewhat comical in a sick way)

I imagine I'm in the minority here:silly:

added

spell check broke? :poke:

Both are wrong. It was established in the beginning that woman was created for the man, and the 2 would become 1 flesh. Therefore what God put together let not man put asunder. So what do we take from this:

1. Since God instituted marriage, then it is not his will that you divorce, but remain for life.

2. God created woman for the man, NOT woman for the woman or man for the man.

Really? I thought it was in some forms of Christianity.

The bible says that you can separate if your spouse decides not to dwell with you. But divorce and remarriage is termed as adultery. The only terms by which a person can remarry is if the spouse dies.

Really? I thought it was in some forms of Christianity.

Those branches would also preclude someone from serving as a deacon in their churches if they have been divorced as well.

Jesus taught that except for the case of adultery then yes divorce is a sin, but he did not elevate that sin above any other sin. What's more is that in Jesus' day women were at the mercy of their husbands and if a husband wrote a letter of divorce to his wife she was all but helpless and as such would be forced to remarry as a result. Jesus' teaching prevents men from abandoning their wives capriciously.

The only terms by which a person can remarry is if the spouse dies.

I agree

I might be willing to reconsider my opinion if she reaches the point of taking me out though.:ols:

The bible says that you can separate if your spouse decides not to dwell with you.

Where are you sourcing this from?

The only terms by which a person can remarry is if the spouse dies.

That and adultery.

That leaves an interesting and albeit troubling dilemma though, because are we to truly consider all of those in the church who have been divorced and remarried as currently living in adultery?

The Bible does allow for separation based on infidelity. They can choose to stay together and work things out or the offended spouse can seek the divorce. The offender can't remarry, but the other spouse can according to the Word.

For references...

Mark 10:4-12

I Corinthians 7:10-16

Romans 7:1-3

Matthew 5:31-32

The bible says that you can separate if your spouse decides not to dwell with you. But divorce and remarriage is termed as adultery. The only terms by which a person can remarry is if the spouse dies.

I just posted some verses that supports some of what you say, but it must be taken in context too.

If this conversation is continuing after I get back from rehab, I'll join in again.

1 Corinthians 7:12-15

12....If a Christian man[c] has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to continue living with him, he must not leave her.

13 And if a Christian woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him.

14 For the Christian wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the Christian husband[d] brings holiness to his marriage. Otherwise, your children would not be holy, but now they are holy.

15 (But if the husband or wife who isn’t a believer insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the Christian husband or wife[e] is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you[f] to live in peace.)

The Bible does allow for separation based on infidelity. They can choose to stay together and work things out or the offended spouse can seek the divorce. The offender can't remarry, but the other spouse can according to the Word.

For references...

Mark 10:4-12

I Corinthians 7:10-16

Romans 7:1-3

Matthew 5:31-32

It should be recognized and understood that the 1 Corinthians passage is a teaching specifically of Paul in which he himself acknowledges that it is he and not the Lord's teaching.

1 Corinthians 7:12-15

See my post above, that's a particular teaching of Paul in "his churches", twice in that passage Paul also states that this is his teaching and not the Lord's.

1 Corinthians 7:6-15 6 This I say by way of concession, not of command. 7 I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has a particular gift from God, one having one kind and another a different kind. 8 To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is well for them to remain unmarried as I am. 9 But if they are not practicing self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion. 10 To the married I give this command-- not I but the Lord-- that the wife should not separate from her husband 11 (but if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife. 12 To the rest I say-- I and not the Lord-- that if any believer has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13 And if any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is made holy through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy through her husband. Otherwise, your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound. It is to peace that God has called you. 16 Wife, for all you know, you might save your husband. Husband, for all you know, you might save your wife. 17 However that may be, let each of you lead the life that the Lord has assigned, to which God called you. This is my rule in all the churches.

That leaves an interesting and albeit troubling dilemma though, because are we to truly consider all of those in the church who have been divorced and remarried as currently living in adultery?

Yes. That is what Jesus said.

See my post above, that's a particular teaching of Paul in "his churches", twice in that passage Paul also states that this is his teaching and not the Lord's.

Though its Paul's teaching, and not a command of the Lord. It means that he is giving instructions in an area that the Lord didn't address as opposed to contradicting what the Lord said. And since this is scripture, then it is still valid.

What is the verse where it is explained divorce was allowed simply because the people insisted on it?

Much like Israel insisting on a King,allowing what we want is not the same as approval.

Free will rocks,consequences of bad choices...not so much.

What religion/denomination are we speaking of? I'm a Wiccan and we believe that to stay married when you are not in love is an abomination. I think when humans lived to be a ripe old age of 35, the "married for life" thing was a lot more doable. Nowadays, with people easily living to be 80-90, It's quite a bit more difficult.

Why would God want people to be miserable? Stay together for the kids? Please! For the kids sake, some people need to get divorced!

What is the verse where it is explained divorce was allowed simply because the people insisted on it?

Much like Israel insisting on a King,allowing what we want is not the same as approval.

That's the Matthew passage;

Matthew 19:8 He said to them, "It was because you were so hard-hearted that Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

Mark 10:2-4

2And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

It should be recognized and understood that the 1 Corinthians passage is a teaching specifically of Paul in which he himself acknowledges that it is he and not the Lord's teaching.

Only where he specifically says so, such as I Corinthians 7:40. Paul became an apostle when he became a direct witness to Christ and as such, the words he wrote came from God through inspiration. In chapter 7, we see where he is specific about his opinions and what God actually commands.

Ok, gotta go - be back later. :)

Archived