Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Akward moment over Redskins

JoeGibbsIsMyHero

I was picking up a sandwich for lunch today wearing a pretty unassuming skins t-shirt (lighter shade of burgandy with yellow block lettered REDSKINS across the front and reebok logo on the sleeve) when an older (maybe 70) black gentleman approached me and said, "I'll bet if that shirt said pinkskins you would be highly offended." I was a little caught off-gaurd, with my iPod streaming some sports talk in my left ear, and replied, "not really, being born and raised in DC I'd follow the team whatever they were called." I don't think this was the answer he expected or desired because he continued, "well growing up in my day we aren't allowed to complain and if we did we paid the price for it." Now I really don't know what to say. I reply with, "It wouldn't bother me if they changed the team name, I was raised calling them the Skins and not really thinking about it."

I really regret saying that because I would care if they changed our name, we've been the Redskins for almost a 80 years, I think it's one of the cooler logos in sports and believe that our Native American logo shows a respected, proud, serious historical figure. Like Washington on a quarter.

He continues to lecture me on how it was for him growing up in the south (I live in Nashville by the way) and how the term redskins is offensive. At this point I don't want to be rude but I'm just trying to get lunch, I didn't sign up for a history class, I understand where he's coming from but I really had nothing to do with it I'm just an NFL fan supporting my team. In no way is he being beligerent, or causing a scene, but people are begining to stare as they do in a crowded restaurant when a hint of conflict is in the air. So I politely nod my head and say. "I understand, have a nice afternoon." And continue walking towards the door. He told me to have a nice afternoon as well and we went our seperate ways but it bugged me that this guy decided to confront me in a crowded restaurant over a t-shirt.

I know, I really don't understand because I didn't have his experiences, but how is this my fault? Anyway, just thought I'd share an akward moment with my fellow Skins fans. Would you guys have handled it differently? Remember, this came out of nowhere, its not like I had a preparded statement, although maybe we need to come up with one for this kind of situation...

That guy was rude, but that is going to happen from time to time.

Fact is, the name of my beloved team is kind of ... an awkward anacronism from an insensitive time. Some people around here get angry if we discuss it, but it's still a fact.

The fact that the owner who made up the name was a virulent racist doesn't help either.

I would have handled it the same as you did. Not much you can say in that situation. Living here in Virginia don't think anyone would approach me wearing Skins gear but then again the world takes all kinds of people.

Tell him it's not your fault that they painted their faces red before they went into battle.

And that the name was given as a term of endearment for our first coach, a NA.

And tell the old man to put his energy into something actually, well, worthwhile.

That guy was rude, but that is going to happen from time to time.

Fact is, the name of my beloved team is kind of ... an awkward anacronism from an insensitive time. Some people around here get angry if we discuss it, but it's still a fact.

The fact that the owner who made up the name was a virulent racist doesn't help either.

I understand he was racist against black people... But if he was racist towards indians why would he name the team after them? Wouldnt he want to avoid any connection at all? And why would he hire an indian coach?

You handled it well. You might have gently given him a little history lesson in return: Prior to moving to Washington The Boston football team needed a new name. The head coach and 5 of the best players were full blooded indians. The owner told them to pick a name for the team. They chose Redskins. They obviously were proud of their heritage and didn't see the name as being offensive. Neither do I.

And that the name was given as a term of endearment for our first coach, a NA.

Or not. No one is really sure, actually.

Not that it really matters. If George Preston Marshall had named the team "The Dagos" as a term of endearment for his good friend, an Italian American, it would still be controversial today. :whoknows:

You handled it well. You might have gently given him a little history lesson in return: Prior to moving to Washington The Boston football team needed a new name. The head coach and 5 of the best players were full blooded indians. The owner told them to pick a name for the team. They chose Redskins. They obviously were proud of their heritage and didn't see the name as being offensive. Neither do I.

I'm pretty sure that this story is false. Just saying.

Other name changes I'd like to see:

Notre Dame - Persons of Irish Descent Who Will Attempt to Win

Duke - Blue Mythical Underworld Non-discriminatory Creature of Your Preference

Cleveland - Indigenous Persons

Atlanta - Brave People, Of Varying Ethnicities

Perhaps these teams could get together and form a league - The National Association for Pillow Soft Dweebs.

I think there is a certain degree of awkwardness in the name. You can tell because of the defensive reactions and responses that pop in these threads. We know it is borderline. I think that the Washington Redskins of 2010 represents pride, dignity and is meant to be a term of honor, but I can understand how for some it might be salt in a wound.

Or not. No one is really sure, actually.

Not that it really matters. If George Preston Marshall had named the team "The Dagos" as a term of endearment for his good friend, an Italian American, it would still be controversial today. :whoknows:

Predicto, you are dellusional if you think "Dago" and Redskin are anything close.

Don't conveniently skip over it this time. Did they, or did they not, paint their faces red before going into battle? Simple yes or no, followed by a stfu, will do :silly:

Other name changes I'd like to see:

Notre Dame - Persons of Irish Descent Who Will Attempt to Win

Duke - Blue Mythical Underworld Non-discriminatory Creature of Your Preference

Cleveland - Indigenous Persons

Atlanta - Brave People, Of Varying Ethnicities

Perhaps these teams could get together and form a league - The National Association for Pillow Soft Dweebs.

As the resident offended here, the only ethnic/racial logo that really offends me is the logo for the Cleveland Indians. That thing looks like something out of the Amos n Andy Show.

(Of course, I like talking like Amos n Andy so I probably should just shut up now).

I don't know why it's offensive to call Indians "redskins." Their skin is red. Whites are called whites...because their skin is white. Blacks are called blacks because...their skin is black.

True. I don't know how the name redskins was used in the 30's. Was it as common as whites or blacks or was there a derogatory stigma attached to it. Would it be better if we were just the Reds? I think any reference to skin color makes some uncomfortable. What if we were the Washington whiteskins with an image much like washingtons profile on the quarter as our logo? Washington blackskins would probably cause more trouble than redskins. How about Washington natives or Indians? Still offensive or not? I think we should just leave it the way it is because these things are subjective.

As the resident offended here' date=' the only ethnic/racial logo that really offends me is the logo for the Cleveland Indians. That thing looks like something out of the Amos n Andy Show.

(Of course, I like talking like Amos n Andy so I probably should just shut up now).[/quote']

I agree, the Indians logo is offensive. Not to me personally, but I could see how NA would not be thrilled with that depiction.

I also think that Green Bay's mascot is a slap in the face to the poor and downtrodden working classes who worked the canneries of the great lakes.

Does anyone know how many Osha recordables occured at the Indian Packing Company took place?

"Packers" is mocking of the hard work, sweat, and loss of life and limb that occured in early 20th century canneries.

I think all pro sports teams, from now on, should just be given a color. Except red, yellow, white, or black of course. Let's not offend anyone, glorify our nation's history, encourage the slaughter of endangered species, or anything similar. The horror.

old dude is very ignorant. Majority of Native Americans do not find the name offensive.

My very knowledgeable history teacher grew up next to several Indian reservations in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He said most Indians there didn't like being called Native American (the pc term everyone thinks is best) and preferred being called Indians. It has something to do with still having a grudge against America for taking their land and not wanting America to be a part of their name. They want to be known as their own people.

Predicto, you are dellusional if you think "Dago" and Redskin are anything close.

Why? Do you know where the name Dago came from?

I don't. All I know is that if go down the Jersey Shore and say an Italian American that I don't know and said "Hey, Dago" to his face, I'll probably get a fist in my face.

And, coincidentally, if I went to a Native American reservation and said "Hey, Redskin," the same thing might well happen.

Don't conveniently skip over it this time. Did they, or did they not, paint their faces red before going into battle? Simple yes or no, followed by a stfu, will do :silly:

Ok. The answer is generally no. They didn't.

And what's more, the idea that the name Redskins came from "war paint" rather than from the fact that the skin of Native Americans tends to be, well, rather reddish in hue, that is a very convenient thing for someone to think.

But I would never tell a mod to STFU, no matter how much they earned it. :)

Archived