Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SPORTS.ESPN.GO.COM - Sources: Ferguson (of Jets) gets huge extension

Long-Time-Fan

We may Suck but atleast were NOT the Jets...Labor Agreement related.

Yea we were 4-12 last year and yea we got the whole AH saga.

And NO were not playoff bound this year.

But whats up with the Jets?

4 players holding out for more money while still under contract?

The latest just signed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5361080

How can one not support the owners in the new Labor Agreement.

These players have to take advantage of their negotiating power when its at its peak. If they don't play as well next year then they lose value.

I rest my case.

Current situation is ...........

Pay ME NOW or I will have a hissy fit and NOT play with you.

And when I SUCK I still get paid because you were an Idiot to sign me because of 1 maybe 2 good years.

I rest my case.

Current situation is ...........

Pay ME NOW or I will have a hissy fit and NOT play with you.

And when I SUCK I still get paid because you were an Idiot to sign me because of 1 maybe 2 good years.

No what happens is I play lights out football for you and then I tear my ACL and the team releases me the following year. In the NFL where there are limited guaranteed contracts players have to get paid now or risk never getting paid.

Yea we were 4-12 last year and yea we got the whole AH saga.

And NO were not playoff bound this year.

But whats up with the Jets?

4 players holding out for more money while still under contract?

The latest just signed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5361080

How can one not support the owners in the new Labor Agreement.

I agree - I support the owners on this one. I think guaranteed money pendulum has swung too far to the right, it's time for more incentive based contracts. Tired of seeing contract year players make the probowl, collect a check and loaf.

4. Please post your message in the appropriate forum.

Familiarize yourself with each forum description. Please be considerate and respectful to our visitors who frequent particular forums to gain knowledge on particular topics. Resist the temptation to post irrelevant topics on an inappropriate forum to achieve a wider audience. If it is more relevant to another forum, moderators may move your thread and administer a penalty.

10. Please adhere to the following policies when using content from outside sources:

If you are posting an article from an outside source, title your thread in the following format: "SHORTFORM SOURCE: HEADLINE" (Ex.: "WP: Redskins Name Mike Shanahan New Head Coach") without editorializing the headline with your own version.

If applicable, include a direct link (i.e. URL) to the original page/site. Paste the URL directly atop the post. This provides credibility and attribution, and allows visitors the option of visiting the respective website.

Include no more than a portion of the article's relevant text (for example, the lead sentence or a particular paragraph or two). Please resist from posting large sections of the content.

You and only you are responsible for the content you post. Please see our copyright statement.

No what happens is I play lights out football for you and then I tear my ACL and the team releases me the following year. In the NFL where there are limited guaranteed contracts players have to get paid now or risk never getting paid.

This is a good point Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio made the stament that if you break down a contract say 5 years 30 million....ok the player will try to get as much of that money up front while the team views contact as 5 ONE YEAR deals if the player gets hurt the contract is voided and the player released. So using that logic how can you blame a player for trying to maximize his value. To a player years 2,3,4 and 5 of a contract don't mean anything if they are not healthy and the team cuts them. Not For Long...the avg NFL carrer is less than 4 years long and to qualfy for benefits after they retire they have to reach 4 years of NFL service...so making as much as they can as soon as they can is the goal...And I for one can't blame them for that.

This is a good point Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio made the stament that if you break down a contract say 5 years 30 million....ok the player will try to get as much of that money up front while the team views contact as5 ONE YEAR deals if the player gets hurt the contract is voided and the player released. So using that logic how can you blame a player for trying to maximize his value. To a player years 2,3,4 and 5 of a contract don't mean anything if they are not healthy and the team cuts them. Not For Long...the avg NFL carrer is less than 4 years long and to qualfy for benefits after they retire they have to reach 4 years of NFL service...so making as much as they can as soon as they can is the goal...And I for one can't blame them for that.

I've heard that average career is less than 4 years stat and I've always wondered is that skewed by hundreds of guys that try out and are immediately cut?

Like if you took out the number of guys who play for less than say 3 years not because of injury but because of lack of skill, because let's face it none of these guy demanding new contracts are going to be out of the NFL due to lack of skill, I wonder what the average career length would be then.

How many players held out during the 1992 offseason for the Skins after the SB victory? Ryp, D Green, who else?

Sometimes that's the price of success.

I was thinking that right before I read your post. Look at the Giants. Burress wanted a new deal and I think other players as well. Thing about it is the Jets didn't even make the SB so these players want deals based off being a "suprise team" in the playoffs. Plus people hype these players up as well (ie Mike Sellers).

Sorry Mark.

I need to read the rules again.

As for players getting their money now because of injury and being cut I don't buy into that.

Career ending injury's happen and always will.

Being cut because of an injury?

You can blame Free Agency for that.

Getting PAID millions because of 1 maybe 2 good years of playing?

Now that's just bad business.

And just like Run One Back said we have all seen guys in there last year of a contract play like hell and get paid a lot the next year by another team.I've even heard TV announcers say that while covering the game when said guy is playing his arse off.

Free Agency and player salaries are KILLING this league.

And before any of you say.....well im not paying it because of the TV contracts think again.

TV gets there money from advertisers,TV now raises the cost of a spot to advertise and said Co. now passes that bill onto you by raising the price of there product.

How many players held out during the 1992 offseason for the Skins after the SB victory? Ryp, D Green, who else?

Sometimes that's the price of success.

The price of success ?

The Jets finished 9-7 and beat the Bengels in the playoffs .

Is that success ? really ... is it okay to have 4 players under contract sit out team activities because they won A playoff game ? Remember these are mostly 1st round picks that are holding out so they have been paid hansomly already .

Darrelle Revis is one of the best in the game yet he is still under his rookie contract . He has not changed the way the game is played like a Deon Sanders . He should report and he should play

D'Brickshaw is not the best LT in the game but is being paid like one of the best .

Mangold is one of the best players at his possition in the game but he is a C . i know the value of the C is on an upward slope but seriously he has been in the league 3 years ... Geeze and people complain about Haynesworth ...

The Jets are setting a very bad precedent here by giving out the huge contracts . I do not believe the Jets or the AFCE will be a major force this season ...

Archived