Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sexual Harassment (where is the line?)

Fergasun

So If I call a co-worker "Toots" that should be OK, right?
Probably, unless it was 1936.

But then again, back then you could get away with all KINDS of stuff.

~Bang

I'm glad you posted than Bang bc at first he was calling her "toots" like I just tooted, lol.

I was kidding about the "Toots" thing......

In our ethics training at work, we were told that in order for something to be enforced, AT LEAST two people must have witnessed it. My word against theirs equals a tie.......hardly seems fair, but what if someone just had it in for you, and made a bunch of crap up - happens ALL the time.....

Whatever happened to maturity in the work place? Save the adolescent humor for your spouse and your friends. I hate immature sexually themed behavior in the workplace. Had a co-worker that would manually masterbate a banana and then air hump said banana in between her cubicle and her friend/ co-workers cubicle. She would send erotic emails through our miltary email accounts (cartoons of animals having sex, penis tattoos, things of that nature) to all of our co-workers. We all knew she just needed to get laid and that her husband wasn't satisfying her (as stated in her emails), but damn, don't bring it to work. It was like she was soliciting through inuendo's.

I guess i just don't see the appeal to smut humor in the work place. If I was with my wife or my good buddies, and it wasn't in a professional setting, i may laugh at a joke or two, but to act that way with aquaintences (co-workers) in a work environment is ridiculous. Whats next... fart jokes?

As for those with ridiculous definitions of sexual harrassment: I'm sure that you'd be thrilled with this guy talking to your daughter like that and that doing :jerk: to her wouldn't be offensive at all. Some airline told me that.

I do think some go to far the other way as well,there is nothing wrong with joking and a relaxed atmosphere....but as has been said, know your audience and respect others.

I raised my daughter to take care of herself (and idiots),and since she went in the Navy that is probably a good thing :silly:

She can give ya what for in several languages,and drive the point;) home if that ain't enough.

I think #2 and #4 could certainly be considered harrassment. The rest of it mostly just makes him sound like an immature creep.

That was good advice by twa about would you want the same thing said to your wife. I know for me, if I think would my wife think this was appropriate if she was here listening to what I was saying, that would change what I might say to some other woman.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of men who don't care and act like this guy. I work with a few guys who are like that. It's strange because you hear women talk about how they are perverts, yet some of them join right in with the comments. I just never thought that at a professional work place people would act and talk like it was a college frat house.

I just thought this case was funny.

The problem for the woman was that she didn't complain and she didn't go through the proper channels for HR (it's in the rest of the opinion). Additionally, once she went through the proper channels, the harassment stopped.

I just thought this was an interesting opinion... and a contrast to what my workplace teaches on sexual harassment.

Like TWA said, if this isn't sexual harrassment, I expect you'd have no problem if your wife's boss talked to her this way?

I very much doubt it.

In reading over the charges, they all seemed to be pretty much common sense examples of what not to do in the workplace.

~Bang

As I said in my post, I don't consider it SH. But I did say it wasn't appropriate behavior if the other person didn't like it and told them to stop, it would be considered harrassment.

I'd expect a lot better from a sales manager to be honest. All sales professionals should be conscious of what they say, how they say it, and how people listening to them react to what they say. That's essentially their job if they are selling anything at all. Establishing trust, creating a positive work environment, and leading by example at the things I'd expect from any manager.

Also from the employer position this creepy doosh is just too big of a potential liability. Any guy that flirts with the proverbial line as much as this guy did is bound to cross it eventually. The next lawsuit may not go his way and suddenly the employer has a problem.

Sexual harassment or not, those are all pretty inappropriate for a professional environment.

If you're a guy, tell me the following wouldn't make you uncomfortable at work, all jokes aside.

1. She would call him "hot guy," as in "There's always a hot guy giving me something to sign off on."

2. Once, when he was wearing tighter pants, she made a grunting sound that sounded like "um um um" as he turned to leave his office.

3. Once when he commented on how hot her office was, she raised her eyebrows and said, "Not until you stepped your foot in here."

4. Once when the announcement "May I have your attention, please" was broadcast over the public-address system, Hall stopped at Baskerville's desk and said, "You know what that means, don't you? All hot guys run around naked."

5. He once called Baskerville a "tilly," explaining that he uses the term for all women. (sorry I don't know how to replace this as I've never heard that term before, :silly:)

6. She once told him that her husband had told her she had "better clean up my act" and "she better think of him as Dan Gallagher." (sorry, hard to find a good male reference there again, haha)

7. When asked by Baskerville why she had left the office Christmas Party early, Hall replied that there were so many hot guys there that she "didn't want to lose control, so I thought I'd better leave."

8. Once when he complained that her office was "smokey" from cigarette smoke, Hall replied, "Oh really? Were we dancing, like in a nightclub?"

9. When he asked her whether he she gotten her husband a Valentine's Day card, she responded that she had not but she should because it was lonely in her hotel room (her husband had not yet moved to Chicago) and all she had for company was his pillow. Then Hall looked ostentatiously at her hand. The gesture was intended to suggest masturbation.

Only if she's ugly.

As I said in my post, I don't consider it SH. But I did say it wasn't appropriate behavior if the other person didn't like it and told them to stop, it would be considered harrassment.

I don't understand this.

It's harrassment and it's of a sexual nature. How is it not sexual harrassment?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FFqOUyJf9Q&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FFqOUyJf9Q&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One of my favorite internet shows "man in the box"

This thread made me think of this episode

Archived