Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Big Question: Andy Reid's legacy

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/15380/big-question-andy-reids-legacy

Is Eagles head coach Andy Reid's coaching reputation on the line in 2010?

I didn't realize this until I stumbled upon it during a thrilling Google search, but Andy Reid's the eighth-longest tenured coach in professional sports. He's also one of only three NFL coaches who have ultimate authority when it comes to personnel moves.

That means that Donovan McNabb would still be with the Eagles if Reid had decided to fight for his quarterback. Reid not only signed off on a trade, but he approved trading McNabb to a team that will have two cracks at the Eagles every season for the foreseeable future. Reid's been an outrageously successful coach since taking over the Eagles in 1999, but all those wins can't overshadow the fact that he's never won a Super Bowl in Philadelphia. Truth be told, Reid and Joe Banner thought they'd have two or three Super Bowl titles by now.

But the two men (plus new general manager Howie Roseman) have raised the stakes this season. They truly believe they can trade the best quarterback in the history of the franchise while he still has some tread on the tires and not take a step back. If Reid can lead the Eagles deep into the playoffs with Kevin Kolb at quarterback, it will cement his status as one of the best coaches in the league. But this is an absolute high-wire act from the start. If the Eagles flame out and miss the playoffs, Reid would automatically be on the hot seat heading into 2011.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

But the two men (plus new general manager Howie Roseman) have raised the stakes this season. They truly believe they can trade the best quarterback in the history of the franchise while he still has some tread on the tires and not take a step back. If Reid can lead the Eagles deep into the playoffs with Kevin Kolb at quarterback, it will cement his status as one of the best coaches in the league. But this is an absolute high-wire act from the start. If the Eagles flame out and miss the playoffs, Reid would automatically be on the hot seat heading into 2011.

I disagree with this. Considering the division and other talent in the NFC right now, it would be a significant surprise if they DID make the playoffs considering the fact that they have a new starting QB, and still have other areas on the team that need to be addressed (S, CB, OL, LB ). What if the Eagles go 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the wildcard due to a tie-breaker? Or, if they start out 2-5, yet rally to finish 8-8 with KK improving throughout the season?

I disagree with this. Considering the division and other talent in the NFC right now, it would be a significant surprise if they DID make the playoffs considering the fact that they have a new starting QB, and still have other areas on the team that need to be addressed (S, CB, OL, LB ). What if the Eagles go 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the wildcard due to a tie-breaker? Or, if they start out 2-5, yet rally to finish 8-8 with KK improving throughout the season?

I agree with you. Unless they are Redskins-like bad for multiple seasons, I don't see how Reid can hurt his reputation as a coach. If anyone can whip Kolb into shape, it's Reid.

I don't see Reid being on the hot seat unless the Eagles are just god awful, like 3-13 or something. I think them trading McNabb and going with Kolb as well as releasing Westbrook pretty much signals a semi-rebuilding of sorts. They are very young and I doubt they can compete for a Wild Card when the NFC East alone is going to be a dogfight.

nothing matters but the record, if the Eagles suck but the divinsional rivals are ravaged with injuries, does that make their record any less? Coaches live and die by the W's, nothing else.

What they did was tell McNabb we no longer believe in you, plain and simple. They never did for him, they did for doing what is best for the money. That organization has never ramped up the team to make a SB run, if they win it, wonderful, if not, rotate coaches or something, but dont bust the bank to win a trophy you may never win again. Its not in their philosophy. They want money, players wear numbers, they do things on the field, how much did we make today? What can we pimp out for more money. They dont pay big money for the Vets, and they dont spend in FA. Not a team gearing for a SB run.

Personally, I think Reid would have been on the hot seat a couple of years ago if it weren't for the fact that the team got hot at the end of the year and made the playoffs.

It wasn't exactly a no-brainer to trade McNabb, especially coming off of an 11-5 season. There are probably going to be higher expectations for this Eagles team than there probably should be with a new QB and a new backfield.

nothing matters but the record,

I disagree. If they lose, no one is really on the hot seat, because deep down, no one really expects them to win.

If they lose, and Kolb throws up record ints or is simply 1:1 TD:INT...if Reid still calls a 61% pass game while all these ints are going on...all the while losing.

I think then Reid is going to get more of the blame. (maybe even more than he would deserve)

If he alters his playcalling even a little to compensate for the talent on the field, I think his image will actually go up in some people's eyes. If's he's stubborn, and keeps calling the same game...then the Reid haters will just say he won only because of McNabb.

BTW You don't have to look hard to find that sentiment. There are plenty of people that think Shanahan won only because of Elway.

The word "legacy" is quickly becoming one of the most overused terms in sports.

"How will this affect Coach Gibbs' legacy?"

"What does this do to Tiger's legacy?"

"What will it mean for LeBron's legacy if he doesn't win a title?"

Shanahan's legacy...Elway's legacy...Kobe's legacy...

Now we're talking about Andy freaking Reid's "legacy?" Who gives a **** about this?

I blame Mike and Mike. They can't go a day without talking about some coach or some player's "legacy." And we're all a bunch of lemmings debating this garbage.

I think going with Kolb actually buys Andy more time.

Trading McNabb appeases their crazy fanbase and some members of the FO.

And it signifies a re-tooling phase for the Eagles b/c even if Kolb is as good as Rodgers (doubtful) the Packers got a pass for his 1st year as a starter when the Packers W-L record to a dive.

I disagree. If they lose, no one is really on the hot seat, because deep down, no one really expects them to win.

If they lose, and Kolb throws up record ints or is simply 1:1 TD:INT...if Reid still calls a 61% pass game while all these ints are going on...all the while losing.

I think then Reid is going to get more of the blame. (maybe even more than he would deserve)

If he alters his playcalling even a little to compensate for the talent on the field, I think his image will actually go up in some people's eyes. If's he's stubborn, and keeps calling the same game...then the Reid haters will just say he won only because of McNabb.

BTW You don't have to look hard to find that sentiment. There are plenty of people that think Shanahan won only because of Elway.

I see your point and its valid, but what i mean with the record statement is it works across the board, bad coaches even benefit from this because the owners see the W's not W's that were lucky, injuries, easy schedule, got hot at the right time.

I have seen bad coaches get rewards for this. I just see the Eagles ownership saying "well 9 wins and no playoffs is okay" only because as i stated and see, winning is good, money is better.

Archived