Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LOL: Now, Hutch may not start

goldenster95

Hutchinson, Carter will play vs. Steelers

02:05 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 19, 2003

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter will both play in Thursday's preseason game against Pittsburgh, Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said Tuesday in his final news conference at training camp.

Parcells said earlier this week that Hutchinson would play. But he cloaked the identity of the other quarterbacks. Hutchinson and Carter took most of the practice repetitions during Tuesday's final practice at the Alamodome.

"I told you I'm going to play at least two guys," Parcells said. "Those two guys will be Carter and Hutchinson. In what order, I'm not sure. There's a chance I'll play a third guy. That's the best I can do right now."

Hutchinson ran off the field and did not speak with reporters after practice. Carter said Parcells told all four quarterbacks to be ready.

"Whatever the rotation is, it really doesn't matter," Carter said. "I've still got to be ready to play football."

Parcells, who said he enjoyed the past three weeks in San Antonio, added that he might be leaning toward one or the other in the back of his mind. But he's not ready to pick a permanent starter yet.

"I'm just trying to collect as much evidence and information I can so that when we do decide, we just go with it," Parcells said. "I don't think the deadline is important. I really don't. I just try to get something done as soon as I can."

Parcells said the biggest disappointment in camp was the season-ending injury to rookie center Al Johnson. Some of the bigger surprises were rookies Zuriel Smith and tackle Torrin Tucker.

Parcells said he has enjoyed his first training camp with the Cowboys. But he insisted that the work is not over even though the club is returning to its Valley Ranch training complex.

"Mentally, I have some things solidified about the team," Parcells said. "I think we have a long, long way to go and a lot to do. I'm not under any illusions about this team at all. We've got some hard decisions to make. Difficult decisions. These next 10 days are going to be very important for this year."

E-mail brdavis@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/topstories/stories/082003dnspocowreport1.2081346b.html

well, I don't know how many hard decisions he has. The Cowboys didn't have a lot of talent at the end of last season.

even with a good draft and some UDFA's with promise there should be enough space on the roster for his better players :)

the Cowboys shouldn't be forced to cut anyone they think can be productive for them.

Can't imagine this will make a difference in the long run - I would be really surprised if he went into the season without a veteran QB after teams started cutting their roster. My guess is that he is swapping them in and out to determine which one he is going to release.

Archived