Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reason Magazine: The Persecution of Gilbert Arenas

ACW

http://reason.com/archives/2010/06/03/the-persecution-of-gilbert-are/print

Long, but VERY interesting, and shines a WHOLE new light on some things (most notably, the infamous picture of him and the team lauging):

In a bid to lighten the atmosphere—and with a little prompting from teammates—he reenacted a touchdown dance from Oliver Stone’s football movie Any Given Sunday, parodying the two-fisted gunslinger he was not. Arenas and his teammates weren’t laughing at fears of gun violence in the NBA. They were laughing at fears of Gilbert Arenas. A nonviolent “goofball” (as the player called himself in one tweet) had been morphed into a hothead who threatened violence to settle gambling disputes. Arenas was laughing, and his teammates were laughing with him, because the revised portrait was simply laughable to those who knew him.
Oh, and :censored: Peter Vecsey.

Nah, Gil's wounds were almost entirely self-inflicted and everyone knew that he was goofing around when he "mock fired" during pre-game, but that's irrelevent. He was goofing around when he brought the guns into the locker room too. Thing is, both were stupid ideas, the former was doubly dumb considering that he was waiting for word from Stern. Arenas isn't a victim. He wasn't unduly persecuted and picked on. He did it to himself. Consciously. Willfully. He's also an adult and ought to be able to take his medicine (which I think he has with grace btw)

Gil isn't evil. He's a fool or was a fool and paid the price for his foolishness.

Funny how nobody in the media (that I know of at least) wanted to defend Gil from being labeled a thug. Even before he signed his huge deal he was doing the Scores for Schools where he was donating $100 for every point he scored in a game to given school every game. He messed up, got punished and I'm ready to see him play for the Wizards again next season.

Gilbert Arenas is a dumbass. He just doesn't get it. You don't bring an unregistered hand gun into Washington D.C. You don't bring a gun into the workplace. He should have known that. He received what I consider to be minimal punishment for this - 30 days in a half way house and loss of a small amount of his considerable income from playing a game.

Has he been persecuted? I guess the author thinks so.

Don't get me wrong. I think Gilbert is a funny guy. I also think what he did was stupid which resulted in him being made an example. At some point, you have to punish even the high profile goof ball for doing some thing you really don't want the "thugs" doing. It is not one law for the scum and one law for the good guys.

Honestly, I think he probably is a genuinely good guy. He's done a lot for the city, especially the inner city. Much of what he has done has been commendable.

Is he over paid. From an expected return on salary committed to him, I would say yes. From a purely basketball sense, it makes sense to move him if we can, but we should ackowledge in doing so there is still a chance he returns to form. I liken it to folding a texas holdem hand despite having a possible flush or open ended straight draw to win on the river. He could still be great, but if somebody else wants to take the risk which wil allow us to play a few more hands, we probably should take do that instead of the all in.

From a city perspective, I'm honestly not sure. On one hand, he will have the stigma of guns and foolishness with guns for a while. Moving on helps put distance on that blemish in an otherwise good civic resume. On the other hand, he really does seem to do more than most NBA players with in the city community. It's hard to knock an inner city youth roll model.

Gilbert is off his rocker, and that was public knowledge before this incident.

Violent, and harmful? Absolutely NOT.

Slightly insane and out in left field? Definitely.

Did he get a fair judgement? Sure.

Is he still one of my favorite basketball players, and possibly one of the nicest people in the league? Hell Yes.

Nah, Gil's wounds were almost entirely self-inflicted and everyone knew that he was goofing around when he "mock fired" during pre-game, but that's irrelevent. He was goofing around when he brought the guns into the locker room too. Thing is, both were stupid ideas, the former was doubly dumb considering that he was waiting for word from Stern. Arenas isn't a victim. He wasn't unduly persecuted and picked on. He did it to himself. Consciously. Willfully. He's also an adult and ought to be able to take his medicine (which I think he has with grace btw)

Gil isn't evil. He's a fool or was a fool and paid the price for his foolishness.

Agree 100%. I would probably remove the "almost" from the first line but other than that agree.

Archived