Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tacoma News-Tribune: Drug charge dismissed, but arrest cost former Tacoma man his dream state job

ACW

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/07/03/1250824/charge-was-dismissed-but-arrest.html

LACEY – David Andrews wants to look ahead, but a day more than a decade ago hasn’t faded from his rearview mirror.

It’s April 23, 1996. He has just started to drive away in his car after a traffic stop, and there they are again, two Tacoma police officers running up to arrest him for felony drug possession. Andrews, who is black, says the arrest was bogus and racially motivated. He says one of the officers pulled his right thumb out of its socket while putting his arm behind his back. Four stressful months later, a judge dismissed the charge because of insufficient evidence, said Kevin Johnson, Andrews’ attorney.

Fast-forward to April 30, 2007. The kid from Tacoma’s Hilltop neighborhood lands his dream job as a network technician for the state Department of Information Services. His wife, Michelle, who prodded him to apply, said he was on “Cloud Nine” when he learned of his hiring.

Then, nearly three months into his new job, he met with his supervisors. Earlier, they had praised his performance. In the meeting, they told him he was being let go. He’d failed a background check essential to his position. There was nothing they could do.

Andrews was stunned. The arrest that he thought had faded into the distant past had caught up with him again.

Unbelievable :(

The kicker:

His former supervisor revealed during a deposition that he – the supervisor – had two felony forgery and theft convictions in another state, crimes not caught by WSP’s background check four months earlier.

I've said this in every thread in which someone says "hopefully charges are dropped". Allow me to make it clear again because I've seen it several times:

If you are arrested, charged, or both they can come up on a background check and cause you to fail

If you think this only affects you if you need a security clearance, you are wrong. It stops you from getting hired, promoted, or approved by a third party that might work with your company. A bad arrest is all that is needed to screw up your life for a long time.

And that's a DAMN shame. The guy was a likely victim of bad cops; the SUPERVISOR had been CONVICTED of crimes (which, to his credit, he testified in the case), yet HE'S the one who gets screwed :tantrum:

I've said this in every thread in which someone says "hopefully charges are dropped". Allow me to make it clear again because I've seen it several times:

If you are arrested, charged, or both they can come up on a background check and cause you to fail

If you think this only affects you if you need a security clearance, you are wrong. It stops you from getting hired, promoted, or approved by a third party that might work with your company. A bad arrest is all that is needed to screw up your life for a long time.

If you are arrested and the charge ends in a nolle prosequi, you can , in most instances, have the charges expunged. This is not very hard or expensive and usually does not involve you going to court. It will be sealed and no one can see the charge. Always do this, because if you are arrested again later on, you might have a hard time making bail.

Archived