Extremeskins

Universal has out Disneyed, Disney.

blue collar

Two periods or one?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Two periods or one?

• Just one Period at the end
    • Two Periods at the end of the sentence

Not even remotely possible, not because Disney is the be all, end all of theme parks but because the markets are completely different.

Disney and Universal share exactly one thing in common, they are amusement parks. That's all. We started our Disney trips when the lil one was about 6 and until she turned 12(ish) there was nothing like Disney. I'd try and talk her into going to Universal, Sea world, Busch Gardens, you name it. There was no place she'd rather go, no amount of bribing could tear her away from The Magic Kingdom.

Around 12 she started really enjoying the "big kids" rides and our time is now torn between Disney and Universal when we go down to Florida. With more time being dedicated to Universal each trip. I can assume that within the next couple years Disney will be a one day visit at best.

Disney for the kids and old folks. Universal for everyone in between.

It's a shame what Universal did to the Dueling Dragons ride to make it Potter-compatible. Lost some very cool visual effects in the transition. But that's progress I guess. All of the budget probably went to the Potter streets and castle. Now there are exactly zero Islands of Adventure "lands" free of corporate-property branding. Oh well.

To me, the biggest recent Universal-related disappointment is the fact that they really toned down the surprisingly great Cat in the Hat ride. It used to really spin like crazy, and now it's borderline anemic. A very cool old-school style ride, now run like an old-schoolmarm.

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate this stuff.

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate this stuff.

Nothing like the first time your kid grabs you by the hand looks up at you while pointing off into the distance and says "That one first" as you look across the park to the biggest, meanest coaster they have to offer.

Brings a tear to my eye just recalling that glorious day!

for the curious, it was the Gryphon at Busch Gardens. We rode it 17 times in 3 days :ols:

Tell that to my 4 year old niece. All things Disney all the time. As long as the whole 'Princess theme' stays relevant for little girls, Disney will be OK.

Don't get me wrong, Disney will always be the standard, but Universal has out done them this year.

for the curious, it was the Gryphon at Busch Gardens. We rode it 17 times in 3 days :ols:

Great ride! I never thought there would be a ride that looks WAY down upon the lift of another ride which in turn looks WAY down upon the lift of Loch Ness Monster. Amazing what the passage of time brings...

Great ride! I never thought there would be a ride that looks WAY down upon the lift of another ride which in turn looks WAY down upon the lift of Loch Ness Monster. Amazing what the passage of time brings...

IMO they have nothing on the Magnum at Cedar Point. One of the best coasters I've ever been on in my life. Rode it for the first time back in '99.

Archived