Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NRA to Endorse Harry Reid? (tear up your card now?)

Fergasun

Can someone say "Special Interest Group Transparency for $500, Alex?" Consider these too facts.

1) The Democrats just carved out an exception in their DISCLOSE ACT. (See: WP: House Democrats Reach Deal on Campaign Finance Exemptions)

The legislation would require companies and organizations to identify themselves when they pay for ads, disclose information about such expenditures to shareholders and the public, and stand by the message of any ads through statements from a chief executive or other top official, much as political candidates must do. Some interest groups had objected to some of the disclosure requirements, saying they were overly intrusive. Under the House compromise, groups such as the NRA would be exempt from the requirements if they are more than 10 years old, have at least 1 million members and receive 15 percent or less of their funding from corporations, a Democratic aide said.

2) Elena Kagan's Supreme Court Nomination

The NRA has recommended a "no" vote for Kagan, yet I have no doubt that Senator Reid is going to vote "yes". In light of the Heller and McDonald cases, gun rights battles are going to be waged through the Supreme Court, yet it is the Democrats who are putting up nominees with weak gun-rights stances.

I understand the NRA can claim they are a "bipartisan organization", yet there is one party whose members clearly believe gun rights are an individual right, and there is another party whose members clearly believe it is not and the government has no limits into how far it can stretch against that individual right. So even if Reid himself is "pro-gun", the fact that he leads and votes consistently with the Democrats means he's going to move forward that agenda.

I read one more argument that said a Senate with 53 or 54 Democrats and 47 or 46 Republicans with another leader other than Reid could be more likely to advance an anti-gun rights agenda. This argument is completely lame, as Republicans would have the power to block any type of anti-gun rights legislation!

What makes this more interesting is that the GOP candidate, Sharron Angle is a "tea party favorite", and while she most likely will vote with NRA legislation she won't have the saavy to do what I'll call "soft legislative power" and make the type of deals that Reid did in my point 1. I really like candidates like this (even LaMont), however it wouldn't surprise me if Reid is able to take her by 10 points given the fact that he's great at campaigning and politically saavy himself (more so by virtue of the fact he's been tested and is the majority leader).

You could probably find linkage with tons of other issues too. You think its out of the question to assume that a majority of NRA members are also anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti-taxation? But if the NRA wants to have any credibility whatsoever, they've got to call it like they see it.

You could probably find linkage with tons of other issues too. You think its out of the question to assume that a majority of NRA members are also anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti-taxation? But if the NRA wants to have any credibility whatsoever, they've got to call it like they see it.

Yeah, hopefully most NRA members are like myself, Pro life instead for terminating life in or partial out of the womb for of birth control purposes instead of for health or rape, for preventing illegal aliens from entering and staying in our nation, and out of control reckless spending as well as punitive taxes for wealth redistribution.

The NRA is not a "conservative" interest group. They are a "gun rights" interest group.

If Harry Reid is good on gun issues, they why shouldn't they endorse him?

This is even more so given that Reid is the Senate Majority Leader. If Reid gets booted, someone else will become Senate Majority Leader, someone who may be anti-gun rights. That person could do damage that Reid would not do.

(this is all assuming that gun rights are under assault from the national Democrats, which is pretty much a joke from the outset - but I'm willing to play along...)

I'm trying to point out the weakness in the political argument. If you have 1 more GOP Senator you are more likely to block any gun control legislation, even if the legislation is more over-reaching. How likely is it that another Democratic Senator will take up gun control on the Federal level as well?

The argument is false, the endorsement will simply be because Reid allowed the DISCLOSE carve-out. Think about that for a moment and how it could impact the election. If Harry Reid is strong on gun's, there's no reason for the NRA to get involved, since its a "win-win" situation.

Archived