Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senator harry reid’s campaign forced to take down deceptive website

NavyDave

http://www.thecypresstimes.com/article/News/National_News/SENATOR_HARRY_REIDS_CAMPAIGN_FORCED_TO_TAKE_DOWN_DECEPTIVE_WEBSITE/31415

SENATOR HARRY REID’S CAMPAIGN FORCED TO TAKE DOWN DECEPTIVE WEBSITE

Published 07/06/2010 - 1:19 a.m. CST

Reid Campaign blamed for trying to capture data belonging to Angle Supporters

RENO, NV – U.S. Senator Harry Reid’s campaign was forced to take down a website that falsely represented itself as Sharron Angle’s campaign website and attempted to deceive Angle supporters into giving their personal information to the Reid campaign. Reid’s campaign received a Cease and Desist Notice complaining of “nefarious actions,” including the abuses of proprietary materials from the Angle campaign website and for potentially violating the privacy of supporters who may have been submitting personal information to be used for U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle’s campaign.

According to a letter from the Angle campaign’s lawyer, "… these activities violate a number of federal statutes regarding the internet and your client has clearly misappropriated my client’s copyrighted materials. In addition it appears that the only interactive function on the fake site is the capturing of names of persons seeking to add their names and email addresses as supporters of Sharron Angle."

Angle spokesman Jerry Stacy said that Reid’s campaign responded immediately by removing the site. “Make no mistake, the Reid campaign was forced to take this site down because they were breaking several laws and trying to deceive the voters,” Stacy said. “You’re going to see a lot of dirty tricks like that from Reid’s campaign.”

Stacy also added that he is not surprised by the continual shady tactics coming from the Reid campaign. “This is a clear case of a desperate man doing desperate things to win. We knew that Harry Reid was trailing in the polls and that he would do anything to win -- but for Harry Reid’s campaign to resort to actually breaking laws would be amazing even for him. Harry Reid may feel like he is above the law when he’s off in Washington, but back here in Nevada we expect better from our leaders. This is just one more reason Harry Reid has got to go.”

:ols: That is pretty hilarious. We have a lot of people do re-directs, but I have not seen an entire fake website built. Waste of time and money, but hilarious.

By the way - anyone see the side by side comparison of Angle's website pre-primary and post-primary? Talk about fake websites. Nothing more fake than Angle's current website.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/07/angle-sends-cease-and-desist-to-reid-for-reposting-her-own-website.php?ref=fpa

The short version of the story is as follows: After the former state Rep won Nevada's Republican Senate primary, Angle's campaign took down most of its website, and later replaced it with a relaunched version that in some ways toned down her right-wing rhetoric. But Internet pages are rarely ever forgotten -- the Reid campaign saved the old version, and put up a website called "The Real Sharron Angle," reproducing the old content.

Then, they say, the Angle campaign sent them a cease-and-desist letter, claiming misuse of copyrighted materials in the reposting of the old website -- which was, of course, being posted for the purposes of ridiculing Angle. The Reid campaign has in fact taken down the site, rerouting visitors to another website that goes after Angle's positions, "Sharron's Underground Bunker."

Well, that's a different spin. Reid certainly can use her quotes and platforms against her. I was all ready to slam Reid too.

Of course, I was really hoping that it was a "Deception" website. You know a website you join that teaches you how to lie like a real politician and how to wrangle billions of dollars for hundreds of dollars worth of work!

Well, that's a different spin. Reid certainly can use her quotes and platforms against her. I was all ready to slam Reid too.

Of course, I was really hoping that it was a "Deception" website. You know a website you join that teaches you how to lie like a real politician and how to wrangle billions of dollars for hundreds of dollars worth of work!

Yea...the first post was the first time I heard about taking information from visitors to the site. If that happened, Reid deserves criticism. But just running a her old site is fair game.

Yea...the first post was the first time I heard about taking information from visitors to the site. If that happened' date=' Reid deserves criticism. But just running a her old site is fair game.[/quote']

No ,not if it is done in that manner.

There is certainly nothing wrong with pointing out prior webpages/positions,but this appears to go to deception.

But I'm not surprised:evilg:

Copying and pasting old parts of her previous into your website is fine to point out the hypocricy.

Going too far and you get remnants of user names etc = very bad, fix it and continue on with original idea toned down just a bit.

You've got to suck pretty bad to have such a hard race with a nutjob like Angle.

I can't think of many who suck worst than Harry Reid. November cannot come fast enough. Any warm body is better than HR and imo Nevadans will agree come Nov.

Buford,

Love your Dinosaur redo of the Republican Symbol in your sig.

Notice, that you didn't feel the need to change the Democrats Jackass symbol as it is entirely appropriate for the party...

Actually, its a rip on both parties being outdated and needing to go away. Not just the GOP.

Vote 3rd party or indy.

Here is another good one.

n68540371938_1006.jpg

Bring back TR's Bullmoose party. I can't imagine what he'd think of both parties today.

Harry Reid, in a nutshell. How can you not like this guy? :ols:

harry-reid-finger.jpg

Although, I do wonder what Angle's campaign staff were more troubled about...the site with all of Angle's "old" views (albeit old being less than a month old) or that she now has to move to middle to win election? Reminds me of the Governor's race here in California. Meg Whitman had to rebrand herself 2x now...once as a uber-conservative. Now as a moderate conservative.

Buford, why does the fourth star on that moose appear to have the Irish flag inside of it?

And Reid should absolutely be allowed to display Angle's own page. I don't have particularly strong feelings about Reid either way, but if you're running for office - especially as high an office as this - anything you use in the campaign should be 100% public material.

Any comment on the new information, NavyDave?

Perhaps the none-existent newspaper "Cypress Times" is not the most objective source of information?

Here's one of their other recent articles:

When one looks at Sarah Palin’s career, one see’s a solidly qualified Chief Executive who has the resume that says “yes, I am made of presidential timber.” For those who have read Sarah’s book, her many nationally published op-eds, and her Facebook blog, as well as listened to her speeches and political commentary, there is no doubt she has the right policies and temperament to be a successful President.

Sarah Palin has established herself as a leader and yes, she is ready to lead the nation.

http://www.thecypresstimes.com/article/Columnists/A_Time_For_Choosing/SARAH_PALIN_READY_TO_LEAD_THE_NATION/29458

Would The Hill satisfy you?

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/107237-reid-and-angle-spar-over-posting-old-website

If what Reid was doing was proper then surely they would not have changed it.

Ooooh, such a gotcha there. You nailed me! Where are the smilies? :)

Seriously, the Hill gave Reid's side of the story as well as Angle's. The "Cypress Times" did not. What a shock. The Cypress Times is a conservative evangelical propoganda website. Which is why NavyDave chose it, of course.

If you only read the Cypress Times, you would think that Harry Reid created a brand new evil website solely to steal information from poor old innocent Sharon Angle, bad bad Harry. If you read the Hill article, you would understand what really happened. Big difference.

Perhaps the none-existent newspaper "Cypress Times" is not the most objective source of information?

http://www.thecypresstimes.com/article/Columnists/A_Time_For_Choosing/SARAH_PALIN_READY_TO_LEAD_THE_NATION/29458

Jesus Christ, I think if I look at that grammar for too long I'll resemble the guys who looked at the Ark of the Covenant for too long....

If you only read the Cypress Times, you would think that Harry Reid created a brand new evil website solely to steal information from poor old innocent Sharon Angle, bad bad Harry. If you read the Hill article, you would understand what really happened. Big difference.

Fair enough

Why did Reid change the website?:evilg:;)

Was what he did wrong?

Let's explore what really happened

From Cypress Times' mouth to NavyDave's ears (from the Sarah Palin "article"):

"I am always amazed to read the international media, and their take on all things American. Not only does one get a different perspective on things, it serves to remind us just how biased, dishonest, and corrupt the American media have become. No longer in the business of simply reporting the facts, our media, for the most part, have become a propaganda arm for the Marxist-progressive movement, and the leading cheerleaders for the Obama regime."

Archived