Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.COM: Chargers aren't looking to trade Pro Bowl WR Jackson (MET)

tibbidoe

Having become accustomed to the big FA splashes, i admit i wanted to sign this dude. Wanting to sign every star FA is almost like an addiction to us Skins fans, i think.

Just like any other addiction, if you can just fight the urge you'll eventually be glad you didn't give in..

My VJ "jones" has now subsided :)

Come on.... how dumb do they think Bruce Allen is?

Vincent is threatening to hold out through week 10 and is facing a 3-game suspension. They are so full of it.

Totally agree, AJ Smith is just trying to do everything he can to get value out of this guy. It ain't gonna work, not for us anyway.

Totally agree, AJ Smith is just trying to do everything he can to get value out of this guy. It ain't gonna work, not for us anyway.

It's so funny to read statements like this considering we were the idiots that it ALWAYS worked on for about 10 years. I can understand why in that article it said that Dan Snyder can now sleep at night.

I think TK made this update in one of the other threads. But in either case, I'm not buying it. They are just trying to up the value.

Yeah that's the same translation I'm getting, they checked the market, and it isn't much better than what the jets traded for Santonio Holmes. That's my guess.

As I recall, AJ Smith is no slouch (remembering him trading Vick to ATL in a good swap for SD)

Glad for once we didn't overpay for somebody with $ or picks.

Not really.... it was:

SD receives #5 overall and 3rd round pick (edit) and the 2nd round pick in 2002

ATL receives #1 overall

Remember how much they were saying we would have to give St. Louis for their #1 pick??? They were talking about our whole draft

As I recall, AJ Smith is no slouch (remembering him trading Vick to ATL in a good swap for SD)

Smith is no slouch but he isn't a big market GM, his draft record speaks for itself but he is an egomaniac who leads a front office like Tom Coughlin or Marty coach a team, with an iron fist.

Jackson has too many problems for AJ to give him a big time deal and you better believe he is still shopping him and is looking for a king ransom in return. Hopefully Allen wont bite.

If AJ liked Kelly, Moss or Thomas he would be looking to deal but he doesnt which means he is going to screw around until the final hour and may end up NOT dealing his malcontent WR out of spite.

Not really.... it was:

SD receives #5 overall and 3rd round pick (edit) and the 2nd round pick in 2002

ATL receives #1 overall

Remember how much they were saying we would have to give St. Louis for their #1 pick??? They were talking about our whole draft

Well, the price for us included our "idiot tax" based on our previous behavior.

Still you're right. Going by the draft chart SD gave up 1300 points going from 1st to 5th, and only got about 255 points (edit:from each of the two other picks) from the other picks (counting the 2nd the following year as a 3rd that year). And SD got Tim Dwight in the trade, who was OK at WR for them a couple years.

What saved the Chargers that draft was how well they drafted: LaDainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees. I guess that's why I thought it was a good deal for the Bolts. Personnel-wise it still was (LT over MV), but it wasn't a good deal as far as picks.

Seems like the Chargers are playing hardball with both the teams interested and Vincent Jackson.

They already cut his salary for not signing by 15 June to $600,000.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5292257

And they do not seem willing to budge off of what they want in return (reported a 1st, 3rd AND a player*). Whatever they want, it is obvious nobody is giving it up otherwise a deal would have been struck by now.

Sounds like they will only trade him on their terms and they ain't negotiating.

Maybe they are willing to sit on him?

*http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/6/29/1544368/what-is-wr-vincent-jackson-worth

I hope we don't trade for him. He's overrated and will cost too much.

He's a product of a good system and a great QB, not really the playmaker everyone makes him out to be. If he is so great and money is the only issue, Shouldn't SD be able to work out a deal? :whoknows: Instead they're willing to let him sit or trade him

It would make more sense to grab TO

I hope we don't trade for him. He's overrated and will cost too much.

He's a product of a good system and a great QB, not really the playmaker everyone makes him out to be. If he is so great and money is the only issue, Shouldn't SD be able to work out a deal? :whoknows: Instead they're willing to let him sit or trade him

It would make more sense to grab TO

As much as I hate to admit this, your right. Nothing personal about saying that, just don't like the idea of TO on the team. We'd be much better off skipping giving up draft pick(s) for VJ and just getting a servicable guy like Coles or TO for this year

AJ Smith is pulling his usual power play as GM to show who the 'boss' is in SD.

He doesn't want to be seen knuckling under to restricted free agents that want out of town.

But like McDaniels in Denver, Smith is going to eventually have to sign or trade Jackson.

Brandon Marshall and Tony Acheffler were dealt.

Jackson will be as well unless there are further negotiations on a new deal. Jackson actually sitting out for 10 games only hurts the Chargers on the field but also in terms of his trade value.

My guess is that McNeil is the priority signing for the Chargers and in the end Jackson will be the one that is traded.

But Smith is going to make Jackson sweat a bit first.

Slightly off topic, whats the current status on Ocho Cinco? Thinking back to TK's "hints" in the other VJ thread, I'm curious if anyone guessed that Ocho could be the "pukester"?

Arsenic - glad to see you're back down from the VJ high. :)

OP - you may want to adjust the title "NFL.com: Chargers aren't looking to trade Pro Bowl WR Jackson", just a tip...

Sorry, man.. I'm relapsing :( Ocho is my suboxin. haha

My guess is that McNeil is the priority signing for the Chargers and in the end Jackson will be the one that is traded.

But Smith is going to make Jackson sweat a bit first.

Bulldog,

Any speculation (on your part) as to where Jackson lands and what the price will end up being in terms of draft pics?

Archived