Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT/CSN Washington: Mike Shanahan has made the Redskins older

JimmiJo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/05/mike-shanahan-has-made-the-redskins-older/

Mike Shanahan has made the Redskins older

Don't call it a rebuilding project.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and trusty sidekick G.M. Bruce Allen built the 2010 Washington Redskins to compete now, and develop players later. That's what happens when you have one draft pick out of the top 100 selections.

CSNWashington blogger Rich Tandler notes that Shanahan took the league's oldest roster and made it even older. Using an admittedly unscientific roster projection by beat writer Ryan O'Halloran, Washington's average age should roughly climb half a year more than last season's 28-year-old average.

Out of 24 new players on the projected roster, 13 additions will be over 30 years old in Week One. The average age of projected starters climbed more than the reserves.

Click the link above for the rest of the article...

What does all this mean? Well' date=' not much in the standings. Three of the four oldest teams in football last year (New Orleans, Arizona, New England) won their divisions.[/Quote']

I will be sitting back watching the leagues oldest team kick some ass this year.

CSNWashington blogger Rich Tandler notes that Shanahan took the league's oldest roster and made it even older. Using an admittedly unscientific roster projection by beat writer Ryan O'Halloran, Washington's average age should roughly climb half a year more than last season's 28-year-old average.

Out of 24 new players on the projected roster, 13 additions will be over 30 years old in Week One. The average age of projected starters climbed more than the reserves.

So they didn't make it older, time did.

a) 29 retained players. All one year older. Thats life :D

B) 24 new players. These must be younger than last years average to negate some of the increase in point a.

Right ?

A little bit older.....but a little bit (if not alot) better. The lack of picks over the years arent Allen and Shanahan's fault

They haven't exactly moved away from trading away picks though have they? We're down two next season already and now there are talks of trading for Vincent Jackson. If they make that trade they will prove to be just as willing to ship out picks as Gibbs and Cerrato.

They haven't exactly moved away from trading away picks though have they? We're down two next season already and now there are talks of trading for Vincent Jackson. If they make that trade they will prove to be just as willing to ship out picks as Gibbs and Cerrato.

But look at the picks they traded away and what they got for them. I think it's worth it, though only time will tell.

McNabb 1976 Campbell 1981

Hicks 1978 Heyer 1984

Wade 1984 Kelly 1986

Final 53 have not been chosen just guessed and does anyone believe we will be a 4 win season?

I will be sitting back watching the leagues oldest team kick some ass this year.

But look at the picks they traded away and what they got for them. I think it's worth it, though only time will tell.

Which is all fine... but you can't avoid reality. Trading picks gets you higher paid older players for a shorter period of time. Do it for long enough and you end up with a team with less depth, no up and coming talent, that holds up less well to the rigors of a long season.

At some point you have to draft the next generation of players.

If everybody on the team last year remained on the team this year, then their average age would have gone up 1 whole year. Shanahan seems to have stopped that from going up as high as it could have. Technically you could say we are a younger team.

Woops UK said it first!

The age increase would matter if it were at many key positions and the players we brought in were actually over the hill.

But we brought in McNabb, Hicks is back-up right now on the OL, but his age is checked with Trent Williams and Capers coming in. We brought in Galloway and Furrey at WR, neither of which is guaranteed to even make the roster. But we have youth at the position as well trying to earn a spot. We let Betts and Rock go for LJ and Parker. On defense we brought in Kemoatu, but we also brought in Carriker.

If I had to guess the 53-man roster, there would be youth at key positions and a slew of veteran back-ups. I wouldn't see an age problem.

And like I said, we've brought in youth in similar positions or groups as the veterans, so I don't agree at all with the notion that the team is older now just because of a "win now, develop later" attempt by Shanahan and Allen. I believe we have brought in a good mix of old and young players, and that this article is premature given we don't know how the 53 man roster will turn out.

I think Shanallenhan have been acting a little too much like Snyderrato. After they made a bunch of the cuts early on, I expected them to go into a real rebuilding effort with young players and aquiring draft picks, but instead it was just what we've seen for a while in veteran signings and a trading draft picks away. I guess the caliber of players we've gotten are better than what Snyderrato used to get, but at some point we need to realize that all this 'win now' mentality gets us few wins.

If everybody on the team last year remained on the team this year, then their average age would have gone up 1 whole year. Shanahan seems to have stopped that from going up as high as it could have. Technically you could say we are a younger team.

Woops UK said it first!

Spoken like the fan of a team that doesn't build through the draft.

I totally agree, coach wasn't kidding when he said he wanted competition in camp. We have some pretty good talent on this team, and hopefully they end up being much better then the draft picks we could have ended up with instead.

Archived