Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do citizens have the right to overthrow their govenrment?

mspeake

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes.

Citizens in effed up places like Cuba, Russia, Mexico, and other corrupt countries in central and latin America, Asia, Africa as well as the middle east controlled by dictators, etc,should have the right to overthrow their government to finally experience the freedom and opportunity to achieve that we take for granted.

I think It's comical that we have a right to 'overthrow' our own government, like the government is just going to say; "yes, sure, ok!"

that's the beauty of inherent rights,they do not depend on govt approval,but rather the individuals willingness to use them.

Of course. I'm not saying we need to overthrow the government right now. This isn't Mid-20th Century Spain or anything like that. I'm just saying that when we absolutely need to, people have the God-given right to over throw their government and replace it with something that suits them. Obviously, within civic law that's illegal, but this is something that goes beyond civic law. This is a right we are born with, a right that transcends government.

The reason we don't need to overthrow our government is that we have the right to. Plus, we have developed peaceful methods to get rid of the bums if we so choose every 2, 4, and 6 years.

True Dat :cool:....as long as that right is not infringed, nor self defense invoked,it is not a right you need exercise

define "right"

define "overthrow"

and then i'll answer.

If you need someone to define them for you, you might not get it even if I did.

Citizens do not have the right to overthrow their government. If you don't like it, you can just get out!

Please refer to our constitution.

Of course they do, and to say anything else is essentially hypocrisy.

It's nice that they made a provision for it, but you'd still have to break the law to do it, so whats the point?

Isn't the entire notion of "rights" completely relative and subject to interpretation?

Hmmm, OK then, this seems to be a popular request...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights

Rights are normative (e.g. legal, social, or ethical) principles of freedom or entitlement. That is to say, rights are rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people, according to some legal system, social convention, or ethical theory. The concept of rights is often fundamental to civilized societies, and it is of vital importance in such disciplines as law and ethics, especially theories of justice and deontology.

I voted yes, but its conditional. You have the right to overthrow your governement if it oppressed inaleinable rights of the people. However you have to make sure the new form of government is better than it's predecessor. France is a clear example of this.

The usual culprit is partisan wining. People get unhappy when their guy loses, so they like to stir things up. Very astute observation.

True, true,, and to be honest, I sort of expected some baiting in this thread, and happpily, I haven't seen any. The OP's question and follow up comments don't seem to be carrying a 'we must revolt' sentiment,, rather just asking the question.

Now, I could be wrong, but that's the way I've read this

~Bang

True, true,, and to be honest, I sort of expected some baiting in this thread, and happpily, I haven't seen any. The OP's question and follow up comments don't seem to be carrying a 'we must revolt' sentiment,, rather just asking the question.

Now, I could be wrong, but that's the way I've read this

~Bang

Glad we haven't directly had to deal with it, even though it may or may not have been inferred. I get nervous when people, i.e., friends etc., come right out and threaten this.

Glad we haven't directly had to deal with it, even though it may or may not have been inferred. I get nervous when people, i.e., friends etc., come right out and threaten this.

I don't think there was a "threat" here. It was about July 4th.

The usual culprit is partisan wining. People get unhappy when their guy loses, so they like to stir things up. Very astute observation.

It's scary man! You have people carrying guns to Town Hall Meetings, Tea Party, and a growing venomous sentiment against this administartion form both the media and general public. Even when people strongly disagreed with Bush II, the sentiment never border on being violents, or this level of disent. Is Obama that bad? I mean is he really that bad? Before any answer put this whole situation in persepctive.

It's scary man! You have people carrying guns to Town Hall Meetings, Tea Party, and a growing venomous sentiment against this administartion form both the media and general public. Even when people strongly disagreed with Bush II, the sentiment never border on being violents, or this level of disent. Is Obama that bad? I mean is he really that bad? Before any answer put this whole situation in persepctive.

I tend to be conservative on a lot of issues, that being said, Obama doesn't really bother me the way he bothers a lot of my friends. Her wasn't my guy, but thats the way it goes. I try not to sit around and complain about things.

Archived