Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you play football?

Ryman of the North

Yes.

Junior Year: 175 pound DT/G

Senior Year: 165 pound starting C/ also played DE/OLB. Smallest center in our league and smallest guy on our starting line by 40 pounds.

College: Walked on, damaged rotator cuff freshman year, 3/4 tear of the achilles sophomore year. Never played a down in college, but I was an outside linebacker in a 4-4 defense.

This is when I got into coaching.

we played a HIgh school team from colorado, it was QB'd by a kid named Scott Bentley (ended up being a kicker for FSU) anyway they had a 200 pound NT who absolutely ****canned our Oline, surprisingly we had a massive size advantage but ended up losing 35-21.luckily I pretty much had my way with the 210 pound Olinemen and the 220 pound DE I went against but our 280 pound center and guards got handled pretty badly too. the technique and skill level was pretty far above what we were used to as a team, the only thing that saved me was the fact that I went to several US camps in high school and was used to the speed at which they played and was lucky enough to get a lot of very good coaching.

btw anyone who says that man for man that US high school players arent far better coached and generally more athletic is lying. I was actually one of the fastest kids on our team as a 6-4 280 pound DE, I ran a 4-8 40, lmao, Bentley ran a legit 4-4 and ended up making it as a KICKER ffs and their running back was a little black kid who must have run in the 4-4 range as well.

yup, I hit my growth spurt early before my freshman season and they made me a TE at first. AFter everyone caught up they stuck me at safety during my senior year. I still remember my very first practice and how my body felt the next day. I felt like a car ran over me.

I played basketball, baseball and ran track but nothing prepared me for football 2 a days. I literally felt my spine twitch while I was in bed. I just wish my knees didn't give in so I could have played more.

Timothy Gay wrote a book called the Physics of Football you should check it out, Perhaps the cardio demands of motocross may be very high, but in my experience there is nothing close to playing on the line for physical demand when you include impacts and colliisions on the body on a regular basis. (im not including the rare odd crash obviously)

Perhaps? lol. "odd crashes"? Season ending/career ending crashes (and dealth) are a constant in the sport, all motor cycle racing really. Hey obviously the sports are different and the demands are different, but on anyone's list, football is no where near to top of physically demanding sports, and it also typically trails wrestling, soccer, rowing, bicycle touring (tour de france). It's a hard case to prove when football players get to rest at least every 5-10 seconds for 40 seconds in between plays, timeouts, tv commercials, or come off the playing field regularly. Most of your lineman are fat ****s that couldn't run 100 yards without oxygen lol.

High school starter at inside LB in an Oklahoma 5-2 defense (kinda like a 3-4, with 3 down linemen and 2 stand-up ends who had only limited coverage responsibilities). Led the team in tackles senior year, and had 2 INTs.

Backup punter too, but only punted once in a varsity game when the first string punter - also starting QB - got his bell rung on a sack. Scared ****less, but got off a decent punt.

Perhaps? lol. "odd crashes"? Season ending/career ending crashes (and dealth) are a constant in the sport, all motor cycle racing really. Hey obviously the sports are different and the demands are different, but on anyone's list, football is no where near to top of physically demanding sports, and it also typically trails wrestling, soccer, rowing, bicycle touring (tour de france). It's a hard case to prove when football players get to rest at least every 5-10 seconds for 40 seconds in between plays, timeouts, tv commercials, or come off the playing field regularly. Most of your lineman are fat ****s that couldn't run 100 yards without oxygen lol.

That really only applies to the DT. The rest of them can all run the 40 in 5.0 or less. Which is pretty impressive for someone thats 280+

Yeah, I was on the team.

Math team, English team, Debate team, It's Academic Team. When I hit 'em in the face with my pocket copy of Thucydides, they went down and stayed down. :silly:

I did play Rugby in college and law school. I was a hooker (shaddup!).

Yeah, I was on the team.

Math team, English team, Debate team, It's Academic Team. When I hit 'em in the face with my pocket copy of Thucydides, they went down and stayed down. :silly:

I did play Rugby in college and law school. I was a hooker (shaddup!).

Least you weren't in the under age drinking or smoking pot in my brothers van club like I was!

Least you weren't in the under age drinking or smoking pot in my brothers van club like I was!

Actually, I was in that too. I was a nerd but I was also a worthless drunken goof-off underachiever. It was a common combination in the 1970s. :ols:

Let's see...

Played baseball but no football up to 7th grade...

7th grade played little league - defensive end.

8th grade, same league but I was older, played defensive end and half back. We came in 1st place (but there were only three teams, haha)

9th grade - Bethesda Boys Club. Defensive End. We lost every game. Once our idiot running back finally ran for a score and he spiked the ball at the ten yard line. That's how bad we were.

Our high school team at Walt Whitman was coached by the famous Coach Bob Miloy. Whitman sucked, but Coach Miloy went on to coach at Springbrook and Sherwood, bringing states to both schools. I didn't play football in HS though. :D

I played rugby - mostly inside center at Walt Whitman and Fullback or Wing at U of MD.

Yup, HS & two in college. OG & LB at both. Herniated disc before I could put on the green of W&M. I played with George Koonce (packers) at Chowan College. I knocked him out in practice once. Oklahoma drill. One on one with a running back. It's the funnest, but most dangerous drill out there. Everyone gets so jacked up that people get hurt. One hit & both helmets were taken away & couldn't be used again.

I got to play on the 1987 VHSL all star team with Robert Jones (Dallas), Matt Darby (buffalo), Dwight Hollier (buff, & Miami). I think there was some more guys that went pro, but I didn't know them.

Played soccer growing up and went out for football freshman year and earned the starting CB spot in preseason. I'd have to say the atmosphere was fun, but CB was kinda boring because no one really threw the ball.

I was always pretty fast and quick so I also got a lot of duty on special teams.

Played soccer growing up and went out for football freshman year and earned the starting CB spot in preseason. I'd have to say the atmosphere was fun, but CB was kinda boring because no one really threw the ball.

CB is hardly boring... particularly because no one throws the ball.

5% of run plays are dives. 45% are off-tackles.... and 50% are sweeps :)

CB position is where you put solid open field tacklers to shut down sweeps and prevent easy touchdowns. Have some pride boy! :)

Archived