Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you play football?

Ryman of the North

HS: DT, LT and Center (when our starter when down) wore #65

Had crappy grades so didnt get into college even though I was recruited by a few schools in VA

So i took 1 year off then went and played semi pro for a team in VA until i was 28, good times! Played DE mainly, we had a few guys that were fatter than me :ols: But I also did play DT when needed

- Junior High School: Starting CB and backup RB.

- Senior High School: I quit on the last day of cuts only to find out I was the starting CB.

- Semi-Pro: 2 years of practicing with the guys... but I never suited up on game days. This was the first time in my life where I realized I was the crappiest player on a team in any sport. I considered myself lucky just to escape with no injuries.

But the best players aren't always the best coaches ;)

played for 4 years in little league then moved on to Ice Hockey, where I played into my 20's in men's leagues. You can hit people a lot harder on skates going 25-30 mph. :evilg: I also enjoyed racing morocross, which is about twice as physically demanding as football.

Ive played Hockey and the only hits that are harder are when you catch someone with their head down. as for motocross, it may be difficult but the only thing more physically demanding than football that Ive done was MMA and boxing.

- Junior High School: Starting CB and backup RB.

- Senior High School: I quit on the last day of cuts only to find out I was the starting CB.

- Semi-Pro: 2 years of practicing with the guys... but I never suited up on game days. This was the first time in my life where I realized I was the crappiest player on a team in any sport. I considered myself lucky just to escape with no injuries.

But the best players aren't always the best coaches ;)

Those Oakville teams were among the best amateur teams in canadian football though. I was just having dinner with our teams president and we were talking about what great games we could have had if they had stayed together. Theon James (former Horns receiver played a season with us last year.)

Ive played Hockey and the only hits that are harder are when you catch someone with their head down. as for motocross, it may be difficult but the only thing more physically demanding than football that Ive done was MMA and boxing.

"The National Athletic Health Institute in Inglewood, California tested several professional motocross racers in September 1979 as part of a comparative study of the cardio-vascular, muscle endurance, and flexibility fitness of athletes from various disciplines. Athletes from track, American football, pro basketball and soccer were tested, among others. As a group, the motocross riders tested to a higher overall fitness level than any group tested. Motocross racers get their heart rate up to around 180 to 190 beats per minute and hold it there for about 35 minutes. These riders do this twice per day (original article appeared in Cycle magazine in early 1980[citation needed]). A subsequent study by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Sports Performance Complex in 2002 reconfirmed the result with more recent motocross racers. The intense physical demand of motocross derives from the fact that the racer of the bike must keep complete control of a 200 lb (91 kg) or heavier bike, while also maintaining their top speed throughout the race.[7]"

the average MAX heart rate for a 25 year old is 195 bpm. proof motocross is most physically demanding sport. There is no half time, siting on the bench while the offense is on the field, time outs... Just all out for two motos each 35-45 minutes long.

Played Guard end and tackle

Sat at the end of the bench guard the water bucket tackle anyone who came near

Played TE and DE from peewee through high school. Had a chance to play D3 TE but went the baseball route.

Led the district in receiving my Junior year

darren sproles is 5'6
Maurice Jones Drew is like 5'7. You coulda made it. lol You'd had to be really shifty, and have a lower body like a truck though.

I find it funny when people point to these guys as overcoming the odds or whatnot (not you guys). Yeah, Muggsy Bogues was short but I'm pretty sure his hard work wasn't responsible for him being able to jump like he was on a trampoline.

I never played football outside of games between friends. It's kinda odd that you wouldn't understand how a fan could do that?

I played linebacker my freshman year and then quit to focus on lacrosse.

Got a few offers to play in college, turned them down, really wish I didn't do that now that I'm older and more mature.

No.

As for being a fan and not playing: amazingly, one can understand the sport and not play! I realize there is absolutely a different level of understanding when someone has actually played the sport.

But for the rest of us who've grown up watching the NFL and having your dad and older brother explain everything to you from a very young age and treat you as an equal, even though you are a girl, well, we can have a decent understanding of the players and the game.

"The National Athletic Health Institute in Inglewood, California tested several professional motocross racers in September 1979 as part of a comparative study of the cardio-vascular, muscle endurance, and flexibility fitness of athletes from various disciplines. Athletes from track, American football, pro basketball and soccer were tested, among others. As a group, the motocross riders tested to a higher overall fitness level than any group tested. Motocross racers get their heart rate up to around 180 to 190 beats per minute and hold it there for about 35 minutes. These riders do this twice per day (original article appeared in Cycle magazine in early 1980[citation needed]). A subsequent study by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Sports Performance Complex in 2002 reconfirmed the result with more recent motocross racers. The intense physical demand of motocross derives from the fact that the racer of the bike must keep complete control of a 200 lb (91 kg) or heavier bike, while also maintaining their top speed throughout the race.[7]"

the average MAX heart rate for a 25 year old is 195 bpm. proof motocross is most physically demanding sport. There is no half time, siting on the bench while the offense is on the field, time outs... Just all out for two motos each 35-45 minutes long.

Timothy Gay wrote a book called the Physics of Football you should check it out, Perhaps the cardio demands of motocross may be very high, but in my experience there is nothing close to playing on the line for physical demand when you include impacts and colliisions on the body on a regular basis. (im not including the rare odd crash obviously)

Yes.

Junior Year: 175 pound DT/G

Senior Year: 165 pound starting C/ also played DE/OLB. Smallest center in our league and smallest guy on our starting line by 40 pounds.

College: Walked on, damaged rotator cuff freshman year, 3/4 tear of the achilles sophomore year. Never played a down in college, but I was an outside linebacker in a 4-4 defense.

This is when I got into coaching.

No.

As for being a fan and not playing: amazingly, one can understand the sport and not play! I realize there is absolutely a different level of understanding when someone has actually played the sport.

But for the rest of us who've grown up watching the NFL and having your dad and older brother explain everything to you from a very young age and treat you as an equal, even though you are a girl, well, we can have a decent understanding of the players and the game.

Thats not what I meant at all lmao. MY ex GF loved football, she liked the mental aspect of it and the strategy(she was one of the rare fans who liked the substitutions lol).

What I meant was, its difficult for me to connect with sports I have never played, mostly because I dont have any prior connection to them partly because the nuances of technique and such are lost on me. I have played Soccer, Hockey, Basketball, Rugby and Baseball , I dislike watching soccer and baseball because they are boring to me for watching and I dont really care for the chaos that is Rugby, Hockey at the highest level has become boring due to the nature of the strategy at the NHL level, and basketball is pretty much the only sport other than football I still watch. I simply cannot get into sports like Cricket, Volleyball, and tennis no matter how much people try to teach me about them.

Thats not what I meant at all lmao. MY ex GF loved football, she liked the mental aspect of it and the strategy(she was one of the rare fans who liked the substitutions lol).

What I meant was, its difficult for me to connect with sports I have never played, mostly because I dont have any prior connection to them partly because the nuances of technique and such are lost on me. I have played Soccer, Hockey, Basketball, Rugby and Baseball , I dislike watching soccer and baseball because they are boring to me for watching and I dont really care for the chaos that is Rugby, Hockey at the highest level has become boring due to the nature of the strategy at the NHL level, and basketball is pretty much the only sport other than football I still watch. I simply cannot get into sports like Cricket, Volleyball, and tennis no matter how much people try to teach me about them.

I see.

I agree with you to an extent. I like to watch tennis and women's fast pitch softball b/c those are what I played in HS and college. I also love watching baseball, although I never played it.

However, cricket, soccer, rugby, and several other sports, I couldn't give two ****s about. I attribute it to never playing or learning about the sport as a kid.

Archived