Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone here actually agree with Celebration penalties?

SkinsNumberOne

I can see "excessive" meaning a literal time limit, but that could also simply be a delay of game.

But watching the World Cup teams celebrate their goals - it really makes me miss the TEAM celebrations of the past in the NFL. In fact, letting individuals celebrate instead of groups / teams makes it even more a celebrity / me-first kind of attitude to what they're allowed to do, arguably leading to the sharpies and cellphones and stupid celebrations like that.

Oh but now props are outlawed, so don't worry about that.

I don't know, I'm just wondering if any fans here can even agree with outlawing celebrating a score. It seems like a simple truth in a game that should pretty obviously be allowed. When did we become such babies? Am I missing something?

I loved seeing the Fun Bunch do their thing.

Nowadays I'd say a time limit. Have the officials do a 10-count. And no bringing objects from the sideline or otherwise smuggled in (like TO's sharpie) to celebrate with. Just call unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for breaking those guidelines.

After a TD, they are fine.

But after making a first down, no. What if the next play is a turnover? Or vice versa on getting a sack or INT. You celebrated for nothing. It's really stupid.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I'm tired of modern players bringing their "antics" into the league and freakin' doing stupid dances after making a damn tackle. Really? Celebrating after a tackle on an 8 yard run. GTFO with that nonsense.

But after making a first down, no. What if the next play is a turnover? Or vice versa on getting a sack or INT. You celebrated for nothing. It's really stupid.

Kinda agree with you. Don't mind seeing a defender celebrate briefly after a sack. But hated seeing Marcus Washington (great guy, proud he was a Skin) celebrate after making a tackle 4-10 yards downfield. Sometimes it is ridiculous.

Kinda agree with you. Don't mind seeing a defender celebrate briefly after a sack. But hated seeing Marcus Washington (great guy, proud he was a Skin) celebrate after making a tackle 4-10 yards downfield. Sometimes it is ridiculous.

I think the NFL should name that the Bradie James rule. That man celebrates on more meaningless plays than anyone.

I think the NFL should name that the Bradie James rule. That man celebrates on more meaningless plays than anyone.

I've not noticed that about Bradie. However, I have about Tashard Choice. ANNOYING AS HELL. I think to myself "why are you celebrating. Isn't that your JOB?!!?" :doh:

I've not noticed that about Bradie. However, I have about Tashard Choice. ANNOYING AS HELL. I think to myself "why are you celebrating. Isn't that your JOB?!!?" :doh:

This is just something I picked up a few years ago when I caught a couple Cowboys games on MNF and SNF. I dont know if he still does it, but it was EVERY play. It could have been a 3 yard scramble by the quarterback and he still jumped around like an idiot.

Yeah, but it'd be more ridiculous if the refs threw a flag because of stuff like that.

Yes, I agree with the rules. When I see fools like LaRon Landry posing because he made a tackle after a 12 yard gain, it makes me want to pull my hair out. There's a difference between a "YES, I just scored!!!" celebration, and a "Look at me!!!" celebration. How about showing some class?

After a touchdown they are perfectly appropriate for the entire team.

As long as they:

1. Don't involve props

2. Are not directed towards their opponent. Celebrations of your teams accomplishments = good. Taunting others for allowing you to score = bad.

No other plays really require celebration, other than perhaps the closing score (field goal or points after) that win a game, or the game win itself.

Seriously, in a professional athelete, silly displays directed towards the other team should result in game ejection and a week off without pay.

Yea, this was my first thought. It's getting out of control. Guys are celebrating every time they make a tackle. Hey jackass, you get paid to do that. Act as if.

I think the stupidest part of it is that you can't have a choreographed or "team" celebration. Part of the fun of the Fun Bunch is that it represented TEAM success versus ME success. It was the players version of singing Hail to the Redskins.

I'm against celebration penalties at the professional level, and probably college.

However, all levels below should have them and those types of celebrations are more appropriate for the sideline anyways. I guess at some level the professional is as much entertainment as anything. Whereas the high school and youth should be all about character and development. I think of college as more minor league professional... which is why I wouldn't mind allowing more celebration.

I think the stupidest part of it is that you can't have a choreographed or "team" celebration. Part of the fun of the Fun Bunch is that it represented TEAM success versus ME success. It was the players version of singing Hail to the Redskins.

This is a really, really important point that needs to be emphasized. The NFL has completely ignored it.

Archived