Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hogshaven.com:2009 DL pressure statistics

SWFLSkins

What was the vedict on Haynesworth's impact on the DL in 2009?

Hogshaven goes in depth to look at the numbers. I have heard some, especially my friend Ryman go on about AH and his impact. I stated that he did not have a bad year, but no one worthy of his price tag. This is a hard look at some of the numbers and his impact.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/7/1/1546927/based-on-redskins-2009-dl-pressure

With the month off leading into training camp, and the help of Neil over at ProFootballFocus, I decided to dive deeper into Haynesworth's stats and just how much his presence helped the sack totals. We exchanged a few emails and Neil took a first jab at Haynesworth's value in relation to Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo's production:

I said Albert had an impact on the defence and I stand by it, I also said that his impact was more in our short yards defence as well as our run defence in general as well as the impact that he brings when teams are forced to scheme him. several games when our edge guys got pressure and not necessarily sacks, it was directly because teams tend to keep the Fb on an "inside first" look. teams also devote practice time to schemeing him, thats time that they cannot devote to Rak and Carter.

One can use stats to say anything if one massages them enough, the fact is simple, this defence was far better with Albert than without him.

4 Washington Redskins 16 18.5 296 933 288.8 5.0 16.2 74 208 36 8 12 67 80 639 28:29 16 5

10 Washington Redskins 16 21 336 1,000 319.7 5.1 17.5 87 219 40 4 17 24 98 763 31:24 21 6

Hmmm, massage this. Far better with Albert, sorry don't see it. Far better at sacks with Rap, yeah I see it. Top numbers are 2008, bottom is 2009.

In short, without Albert, and switching to a 3-4 with a massive NT in Ma'ake Kemoeatu, I think the Redskins will be just fine. Piece out, Albert.

lol......... :ols:

I like that line...... Hap found an article like this a while back but still this is a good read.. lol Piece out, Albert! :ols:

Edit: This is from BRBN that Hap found a month ago.. I like both articles. ;)

Haynesworth's excellent season on the field has been well documented, but one of the primary support reasons for Haynesworth is that his command of double teams is responsible for the improvement in Carter's numbers, and for Orakpo's excellent rookie season. That isn't so much true. For one thing, it's based on a premise that Haynesworth is always being double teamed when that was rarely the case. Haynesworth's value, which is demonstrated above by KC Joyner in the link above, is that he wins at the point of contact, and is simply devistating in short yardage situations. He's also a very versatile player against the pass who is athletic enough to rush from anywhere on the field. He is not, contrary to believe, responsible for Orakpo's numbers or Carter's numbers, and it undersells both the relationship between their numbers and each of their individual contributions to credit

Haynesworth with that increase.

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=324751

What was the vedict on Haynesworth's impact on the DL in 2009?

Judging Alberts impact based soley on his impact on Orkapo and Carter's sacks, pressures and hits is a pretty narrow view point.

Because Albert has a fairly large impact on the running game as well and even on passing down his impact helps out the everyone not just Carter/Orakpo.

Therefore, from looking at the 108 positive instances of Orakpo and Carter pressure I found a maximum of 5 where Haynesworth may have had some impact over and above what may be expected from a standard DT.[/b]

Yeah, someone else actually broke down all the rushing defense stats in another thread and showed that with AH on the field the defense actually gave up more yards and YPC. So, arguing that he's a big boon for the run game might not help.

lol......... :ols:

I like that line...... Hap found an article like this a while back but still this is a good read.. lol Piece out, Albert! :ols:

Edit: This is from BRBN that Hap found a month ago.. I like both articles. ;)

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=324751

I love when someone quotes someone elses stupidity.

1- the saying is "PEACE OUT".

2-and only a true moron would write that going with maake at NT in a 3-4 over Albert in a 4-3 is somehow an upgrade, and thats assuming that maake makes a miracle recovery from HIS TORN ACHILLES.

SWFLSKINS, even the initial article that YOU quoted stated pretty clearly that only uniformed or stupid fans would narrow his affect to just pass rushing, and even if you did, you still have to admit that teams needed to scheme albert. as for some of our ineffectiveness , Ive already made a thread about why Blache needed to go, he was too gunshy (partly because he knew we couldnt overcome any defencive shortcomings because of our terrible offence.)

Yeah, someone else actually broke down all the rushing defense stats in another thread and showed that with AH on the field the defense actually gave up more yards and YPC. So, arguing that he's a big boon for the run game might not help.

Hmm a Rookie making his first starts at OLB after being a DE his entire career, an undersized MLB who is known as a pursuit guy and no real FS wouldnt have had anything to do with out woes would they? add in Cornelius playing poorly and montgomery regressing and our Dt situation was dire. then add in that we really were a one trick pony at DE with Carter and frankly we were lucky we did as well as we did.

Hmm a Rookie making his first starts at OLB after being a DE his entire career, an undersized MLB who is known as a pursuit guy and no real FS wouldnt have had anything to do with out woes would they? add in Cornelius playing poorly and montgomery regressing and our Dt situation was dire. then add in that we really were a one trick pony at DE with Carter and frankly we were lucky we did as well as we did.

:blahblah::blahblah:

:jerk:

2-and only a true moron would write that going with maake at NT in a 3-4 over Albert in a 4-3 is somehow an upgrade, and thats assuming that maake makes a miracle recovery from HIS TORN ACHILLES.

I never read the word "upgrade"...:doh:

In short, without Albert, and switching to a 3-4 with a massive NT in Ma'ake Kemoeatu, I think the Redskins will be just fine.

^^^^......... Hmmm does fine some how mean "upgrade"?

It's funny when stats are dismissed when they tell a story otherwise. The stats point one way, yet Ry is sticking by his guns. I guess if the stats had said that AH DID help the defense, then these stats would not be dismissed. I don't understand.

lol....... Wow that did really make me laugh. :ols:

As offensive as it should be.... :applause:

LOL good, I was laughing as I wrote it.

btw when someone says I'll be just fine without someone, I took that to mean that the guy replacing them is an upgrade. either way it was a stupid thing to say.

as for stats, there are many things that go into them, as I said, the decline of several players did make a difference, I noticed Griffin didnt even get a sniff in FA, considering his past play, thats directly because of his play last season.

I love when someone quotes someone elses stupidity.

1- the saying is "PEACE OUT".

SWFLSKINS, even the initial article that YOU quoted stated pretty clearly that only uniformed or stupid fans would narrow his affect to just pass rushing, and even if you did, you still have to admit that teams needed to scheme albert. as for some of our ineffectiveness , Ive already made a thread about why Blache needed to go, he was too gunshy (partly because he knew we couldnt overcome any defencive shortcomings because of our terrible offence.)

I too find it a bit annoying when folks use same sounding words with different spellings incorrectly. Usually its best to let it pass though. BUT since we are on the whole proper English thing.......exactly what type of UNIFORMS would said fans have to be wearing to equal stupid?

uniformed fans, naked players... what's next cats and dogs living together.

I am sure your thread about Blache had alot to do with his leaving. kudos.

The run game defense with AH in it was worse than the game without him, splain that. Oh nevermind, stats prove nothing ricky.

I too find it a bit annoying when folks use same sounding words with different spellings incorrectly. Usually its best to let it pass though. BUT since we are on the whole proper English thing.......exactly what type of UNIFORMS would said fans have to be wearing to equal stupid?

fat fingers lead to typos. a typo is not a malapropism

fat fingers lead to typos. a typo is not a malapropism

Glass houses and all.....point being if you are going to correct others on English skills you should hold yourself to the same standard. Oh wait I forgot, you're different. The same rules don't apply to "hardly ever wrong guy". What happened to 'when I'm wrong I admit it"? Sounds like a bunch of excuse making to little old me. But hey, you're probably right. Judging by your track record. Laughable.

Glass houses and all.....point being if you are going to correct others on English skills you should hold yourself to the same standard. Oh wait I forgot, you're different. The same rules don't apply to "hardly ever wrong guy". What happened to 'when I'm wrong I admit it"? Sounds like a bunch of excuse making to little old me. But hey, you're probably right. Judging by your track record. Laughable.

LMAO, I did admit it, its called a Typo, a typo is when you hit the wrong key or rush through something and miss a key ala uniformed vs uninformed its not rocket science, a malapropism is when you use the wrong word in the wrong place, generally when trying to look smarter than you actually are.

If you want to call me out then call me out when I actually am wrong. and My track record is far more impressive than yours could ever hope to be. Now away with you peasant, your lack of skills bores me.

Hey guys, I know that a lot of us fans are sore because of this AH debacle but let's look at this realistically. I remember in the Giants game where the Skins defense was getting manhandled and AH called the line audible and nearly crushed Eli. I then figured that it was more scheme than AH under performing. If AH would have been given the chance to do that 2 - 3 times a game within the scheme, I'm sure the numbers would have been much higher across the board. There's always more to the numbers. There's more to the game than one player. No one on that 2009 defense performed as well as they should. Even Rak and AC disappeared in the games after AH went out. I put the defensive woes squarely on the shoulders of Blache. Hell, didn't Zorn even threaten to take over defensive playcalling? Or maybe that was Remember the Titans.

LMAO, I did admit it, its called a Typo, a typo is when you hit the wrong key or rush through something and miss a key ala uniformed vs uninformed its not rocket science, a malapropism is when you use the wrong word in the wrong place, generally when trying to look smarter than you actually are.

If you want to call me out then call me out when I actually am wrong. and My track record is far more impressive than yours could ever hope to be. Now away with you peasant, your lack of skills bores me.

A wise man once said "you can't argue with an ignorant person because they're never wrong".

We get it. Your the Guy, big house, big bed, cute girl, still clutching a career that never was, smarter than all else.... Just ask dude. As fellow Skins fans we will gladly pitch in for your extenze subscription.

Stop trying so hard. You make yourself look like a joke, when I sense that you don't have to be.

A wise man once said "you can't argue with an ignorant person because they're never wrong".

We get it. Your the Guy, big house, big bed, cute girl, still clutching a career that never was, smarter than all else.... Just ask dude. As fellow Skins fans we will gladly pitch in for your extenze subscription.

Stop trying so hard. You make yourself look like a joke, when I sense that you don't have to be.

Miss. Malaprop would agree. ;)

Where is this track record you speak of. I see your making friends again. :ols:

Archived