Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HE: House Democrats ‘Deem’ Faux $1.1 Trillion Budget ‘as Passed’

sacase

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37893

Last night, as part of a procedural vote on the emergency war supplemental bill, House Democrats attached a document that "deemed as passed" a non-existent $1.12 trillion budget. The execution of the "deeming" document allows Democrats to start spending money for Fiscal Year 2011 without the pesky constraints of a budget.

The procedural vote passed 215-210 with no Republicans voting in favor and 38 Democrats crossing the aisle to vote against deeming the faux budget resolution passed.

Never before -- since the creation of the Congressional budget process -- has the House failed to pass a budget, failed to propose a budget then deemed the non-existent budget as passed as a means to avoid a direct, recorded vote on a budget, but still allow Congress to spend taxpayer money.

All I got to say is WTF? The Dems just said screw it, we are not even going to pretend to be accountable for your money. How can you pass a budget that is not even created? What's to deem?

As I understand it, they are waiting for the report of the bipartisan commission on reducing the deficit that Obama set up a few months ago before putting forth the final budget. This commisson:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/18/AR2010021805554.html

This resolution doesn't claim to be the actual budget. It is a technical measure to allow the government to keep operating in the interim. There will be the same budget debates and negotiations as always. They just will happen later this year.

Is my understanding correct?

It is not surprising that Human Events Online is characterizing this as a stealth budget, or that the story is rocketing around the right wing blogsphere.

Pretty weird.

And it only passed by 5 votes in the house?

Pelosi is a vote counter, second to none. She knew how many votes she needed, and let every Democrat possible who is facing a close race in November vote against it, knowing that there was a possibility of political heat.

First time for everything.

When you can't pass a budget during a bad voting year.. just don't pass one.

They have the votes to pass whatever they wish.... even to DEEM things passed when they feel like it.. Seems like they didn't even try.

When you say later this year: I'm guessing that is Nov. 8th

Obama punted the problem to the bipartisan panel, formally known as the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, and ordered it to deliver a solution by Dec. 1, well after the fall elections...

WHEN did they punt this to the commission? Last November when they knew it was coming.

Or last week to give cover to the Dec 1st Timeframe?

Oh, you won't find me claiming that there isn't political gamesmanship going on here.

I'm just saying that this isn't "The Budget."

That's the problem, there isn't even a budget for them to deem passed.

So you guys would rather have the government just not operate? Really?

Like Predicto said, it's not the actual budget. This panic is the government equivalent of the "Cap Hell" that the Redskins were going to face every year.

It works out.

I'd rather they do their damn job,but if that is not possible shutting down is acceptable.

. . . I don't think that you understand what the government does.

I bet I understand it better than you.

I'm a big fan of efficient government,regulation and authority

I bet I understand it better than you.

I'm a big fan of efficient government,regulation and authority

No, you're not. Aren't you one of those who believes that government is inefficient, inept, and inherently corrupt? :beatdeadhorse:

What bugs me is that they should have been able to get a budget together. They are derelict in their responsibility. If they needed to revise it or ammend it later so be it, but this is one of their primary functions... and they ain't getting it done.

There's plenty of transparency in DC. I believe every Congressional committee puts their hearings online, so you can watch them at will. Additionally there are their own statements.

Here's the statement of the Dem Budget Cmte. Chair:

Today the House took an important step in the budget process by approving a budget enforcement resolution for fiscal year 2011. This resolution caps the level of discretionary spending for the upcoming fiscal year, permitting the Appropriations Committee to move forward with appropriation bills for fiscal year 2011. "With the passage of this resolution, we have in place the functional equivalent of a traditional budget resolution. For the short term, this resolution limits discretionary spending and strengthens the "Pay-As-You-Go" rule (PAYGO), which limits mandatory spending and revenue reduction legislation. For the long term, the resolution sets an out-year goal of returning the budget to primary balance (excluding net interest costs) in 2015, and assures that the House will have an opportunity to vote this year on budget proposals made by the President's Fiscal Commission and approved by the Senate.

Here's GOP (ranking member) response:

What House Democratic leaders call a “budget enforcement resolution” is in fact just another “deeming” scheme – one that concedes they cannot meet their most fundamental governing responsibility: writing a congressional budget. They have created a masquerade that only advances their spend-as-you-go philosophy, accelerating the march toward a fiscal and economic crisis. They are doing so because a majority of rank-and-file Democrats cannot vote for a budget with trillion-dollar deficits. As even House Budget Committee Chairman Spratt has acknowledged: “You can say that that’s a lack of courage.”

The analysis below makes the following points:

- This is not a budget. The measure fails to meet the most basic, commonly understood objectives of any budget.

- It does not set congressional priorities; it does not align overall spending, tax, deficit, and debt levels; and it does nothing to address the runaway spending of Federal entitlement programs.

- It is not a ‘congressional budget resolution.’ The measure does not satisfy even the most basic criteria of a budget resolution as set forth in the Congressional Budget Act.

- It creates a deception of spending ‘restraint.’ While claiming restraint in discretionary spending, the resolution increases non-emergency spending by $30 billion over 2010, and includes a number of gimmicks that give a green light to higher spending.

The real question is, if the Democrats are breaking a law or doing something shady, will the Republicans man up and take them to Court?

November can't get here fast enough:mad:

it will make no difference if you vote dem or repub

after last election i will never vote for a dem or repub again. We need a viable 3rd party.

Washington was right

PS

Where in the bill is this located, as with all stories i try to fact check them and i cannot find this wording but it is 110 pages long

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.4899:

Archived