Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Caller: Michael Steele Blames Obama for Afghanistan War

Hubbs

Once again proving that Michael Steele has a nearly superhuman ability to make every major name of any political persuasion run away from him as fast as possible....

Link

In a speech caught on tape at a Connecticut fundraiser Thursday, National Republican Committee Chairman Michael Steele blamed the war in Afghanistan on President Obama and suggested it could not be won, leading to calls for his resignation.

“This was a war of Obama’s choosing,” Steele said of the war in Afghanistan, which just concluded its deadliest month since the 2001 invasion. “This is not something the United States has actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in.”

Steele seemed to blame the president for decisions that were made before he took office, and called on Obama to seek other means to tackle the problems facing the war-torn country.

“Well, if he’s such a student of history, has he not understood that, you know, that’s the one thing you don’t do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan, alright, because everyone who’s tried over a thousand years of history has failed,” he said. “And there are reasons for that. There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan.”

Steele’s comments do not line up with those of other Republicans who have spoken out in favor of continuing the war effort. In television interviews last week, a number of ranking Republicans blasted Obama’s announcement of an Afghanistan withdrawal date. Arizona Sen. John McCain, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham and Georgia Sen. Saxby Chambliss all spoke out against the president’s call for a timetable on the war.

In reaction to Steele’s comments, Weekly Standard editor William Kristol, a stalwart supporter of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, called on Steele to resign immediately.

I don't see him saying that he started the war. Obama made it pretty clear when he was a presidential candidate that the Afghan war was the one that he would give his attention to. Thus making it the "war of his choosing". Probably a poor way of saying it, but I think that is what he is getting at.

I don't see him saying that he started the war. Obama made it pretty clear when he was a presidential candidate that the Afghan war was the one that he would give his attention to. Thus making it the "war of his choosing". Probably a poor way of saying it, but I think that is what he is getting at.

“This is not something the United States has actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in.”

Umm. So what have we been doing there for the last 8 years? :whoknows:

I believe we should pull out of both locations at this point. We did what we were supposed to do.... not build them from the ground up to surpass the dollar.

But that would require a comprehensive plan and not stupid comments like his.

I've supported him in the past, but like Pelosi you cant say such stupid things and stay.

“This is not something the United States has actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in.”

Umm. So what have we been doing there for the last 8 years? :whoknows:

Hey, I am just offering a different interpretation.

I don't think we have a strategy that will achieve any victory in the region (nor HAVE we), but that is mainly because I think it is a sinkhole for soldiers and resources. You may kill some terrorists, but there are always five more out there for every one you kill or capture. You could be there a century and the entire war would look the same as it does today.

Well, if he’s such a student of history, has he not understood that, you know, that’s the one thing you don’t do is engage in a land war in Afghanistan

Wrong, wrong wrong....sheesh. You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

princess_bride-vizzini-3.jpg

There's a big difference between "Obama wanted to focus more on Afghanistan and less on Iraq" and what Steele said. Did you see the line I bolded?

I don't think we have a strategy that will achieve any victory in the region (nor HAVE we), but that is mainly because I think it is a sinkhole for soldiers and resources. You may kill some terrorists, but there are always five more out there for every one you kill or capture. You could be there a century and the entire war would look the same as it does today.

Agreed. Afghanistan is a worthless black hole of anarchy. We'll never fight any other country there and there's really nothing to "defend" if we were to somehow "win." So what are we trying to accomplish? Locating one jerkoff in a cave somewhere? Let's back out and wait for him to surface or die. This search is only eating up the lives of good young men and women, which means he continues to "win" as long as we're there. On the flip side, suppose we find him. What will it really accomplish? It won't bring back the people we lost on 9/11 or the lives we've lost since we went in. So stupid.

Russia is laughing at us. :)

Me, too. I'll admit, I have a tendency to cheer for prominent black Republicans, even though I don't always line up with them.

This, though, is just ridiculous.

Always spend your good energy on those who have your best interest at heart.

Never base any decision of loyalty on the color of a mans skin.

Archived