Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone tell me if this is a solid computer to buy? Its a gateway

Zazzaro703

*edit* the post right below this one has all the specifics listed so you don't have to click the link below.

Hello everyone,

I'm about to get a new computer and would mostly like to use it for games but other stuff as well. Here is the link to the gateway computer I'm looking at from BestBuy. Can anyone tell me if this is a good computer or reccomend me to something that is good???

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+FX6840-03e+Desktop+%26+20%22+LCD+Monitor+Package/9999133000050024.p?id=pcmprd133000050024&skuId=9999133000050024

It seems good but i havent updated my computer in 5 years. Is that graphics card good? Does anyone see any glaring problems like no internal fan or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*edit* After clicking the link scroll down to the product overview link and click it for all the details.

In case you dont want to click the link here is what is included.

What's Included

Gateway Desktop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 8GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive

Multimedia keyboard, optical mouse

Software: Microsoft Works; Adobe Reader; Cyberlink PowerDVD

AC power cord

Owner's manual

Product Features

Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor

Features an 8MB L2 cache and 2.8GHz processor speed with up to 3.46GHz.

Intel® Core i7 processor

Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology automatically speeds up your processor when your PC needs extra performance.

8GB DDR3 memory

For multitasking power.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media. Also supports DVD-RAM.

1TB SATA hard drive

Offers spacious storage options and fast read/write times. Four expansion bays provide additional hard drive connectivity.

ATI Radeon 5770 graphics

With 1GB discrete video memory for lush images with stunning detail. 5.1-channel high-definition audio support. HDMI ports for easy connection to a high-definition monitor or TV.

Multi-in-1 media reader

Supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Compact Flash Plus, Microdrive, Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, miniSD, miniSDHC, microSD, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard mobile and Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard.

Also supports High-Capacity MultiMediaCard Plus, High-Capacity MultiMediaCard mobile, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick Micro and SmartMedia.

10 high-speed USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.

Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector

For flexible wired Web connectivity options.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

*edit* Also comes with a 20" LCD Monitor. In total its about $1200. Please any insight would be greatly appreciated or direct me to a better rig.

the BB site doesn't offer all that much info as far as specifications are concerned. I mean you're going in the right direction in getting a Core i7. Gimme a little bit and i'll see if I can find some more info on this model and some comparable models for ya. I'm almost certain that ES's IT bunch will chime in once this thread gets a bump.

EDIT: nevermind, you beat me to it lol

Okay well I like to play games on high settings. I just don't want any slowdown. I'm not familiar with the radeon card that is listed. I went ahead and listed all the specifics so people don't have to click the link. Basically if I bought a brand new game tomorrow that has high end graphics would that rig run on high settings no problem? Looking to spend no more than 1400 bucks with a monitor and that package has a 20" LCD monitor for a total of 1200 bucks. Thanks for responding I normally use invidia but the rig comes with a radeon card so I'm not familiar with how old that card is.

Yeah I think I'm going with this system. At worst in a few months if the graphics really bothers me I can swap it out everything else seems like I shouldn't need to update anything in awhile. Am I dense or do i not see anything about a soundcard on there listed.

Yeah I think I'm going with this system. At worst in a few months if the graphics really bothers me I can swap it out everything else seems like I shouldn't need to update anything in awhile. Am I dense or do i not see anything about a soundcard on there listed.

I think most soundcards are integrated these days.

It is a pretty sweet computer. The 5770 is a nice card, too. The sound card is integrated into the mobo. You could always easily pop another one in there if you wanted to.

Very true. I can't remember the name of what it's called for ATI cards but does this mobo appear to offer an SLI-like feature.

I noticed it has the Windows 7 64-bit. Expect a heck of a lot of your older stuff not working due to poor driver support.

I've been running Windows 7 since the beginning of the year and the only thing I wasn't able to run anymore was my (very old) wacom tablet. Other than that, compatibility mode has helped with most things that didn't work initially.

The only thing I don't like is the monitor they are giving you. Wouldn't you want to buy a bigger monitor for maybe $40 or $50 more?

Here is the PC without the monitor: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/9974337.p?id=1218204534081&skuId=9974337&st=Gateway%20FX6840-03e&cp=1&lp=2

As far as the SLI like feature, for ATI it is called Crossfire if you wanted to add another gfx card.

Size wise, the computer is pretty large, but it does have 2 extra bays for hard drives and a spare bay for another DVD drive or something, which is nice.

I'd get a 23" monitor or something. But 20" is still a decent size.

I thought gateway got bought up by someone???

It seems like a fairly decent Computer, for the price. 2 questions though. 1 How long is its warranty, 2. Do you already have speakers (says it doesn't come with them? if not you'll need to buy them) 5.1 sound sounds reasonable. Also the CPU itself isn't energy star compliant, but the monitor appears to be, not sure how you'd figure that on taxes if your state has a credit for that.

depends on what your needs are...

Both have integrated video cards which means no games...

They are mostly a wash except for the fact that the more expensive one comes with a better processor and the cheaper one (the 2nd one) comes with a reduced functionality version of Word and Excel.

If you already have Office 2010 and want to get the better processor.. go for the first one.

If you dont have Office 2010 and are trying to save a bit of $$... the 2nd one is just fine.

I thought gateway got bought up by someone???

It seems like a fairly decent Computer, for the price. 2 questions though. 1 How long is its warranty, 2. Do you already have speakers (says it doesn't come with them? if not you'll need to buy them) 5.1 sound sounds reasonable. Also the CPU itself isn't energy star compliant, but the monitor appears to be, not sure how you'd figure that on taxes if your state has a credit for that.

Warranty i think is two years. And damn i didnt even think about the speakers. I thought all computers came with at least stock speakers?!??

Archived