Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jackson officially suspended for 3 games... Do we even bother?!?

timdaley73

Waste of time to get Jackson.

Doc Walker pointed out yesterday that Jackson has had one season with more than 60 catches and that was last year. Santana Moss had two more receptions last year (70-68) and has had five seasons with 60 or more catches.

Really Moss had a better year because he had 2 more catches?

Santana Moss REC 70

YDS 902

AVG 12.9

TDS 3

Vincent Jackson REC 68

YDS 1,167

AVG 17.1

TDS 9

Like Connskins I'm not saying that I wan't him, but If the price is right he would be a huge upgrade to our offense.

He is a top 10 WR stop pretending he's not. I would however rather roll with what we have this year and draft AJ Green or Julio Jones next year.

Regardless of what he wants to be paid, I only have two concerns:

1) What is his cap hit past this year (this may affect our ability to sign other players if the cap comes back)

2) What do we have to trade to get him?

They could give him $300M for all I care, just make his cap hit after this year reasonable. But the biggest thing is that I don't want us giving up high draft picks to get him. Maybe we could trade a few spare parts, but this is wishful thinking in my opinion. SD is going to want high picks, which we can't really afford right now....

Santana Moss REC 70

YDS 902

AVG 12.9

TDS 3

Vincent Jackson REC 68

YDS 1,167

AVG 17.1

TDS 9

Like Connskins I'm not saying that I wan't him, but If the price is right he would be a huge upgrade to our offense.

He is a top 10 WR stop pretending he's not. I would however rather roll with what we have this year and draft AJ Green or Julio Jones next year.

Exactly. Comparing him, in an offense that spreads the ball around (and has a HOF TE), to Moss, who was the only real WR threat last year, is not smart. How anyone can not take into account 6 more TD's and 4.2 more YPC when comparing them is beyond me. Its not just how many catches a WR has....but also what he does with them.

At 17.1 YPC, Jackson is obviously a big-play receiver, and that's what Mcnabb does best with (See: TO and Desean Jackson). I'm not rooting to trade high draft picks for the guy, but if it can be done at a good price sometime this offseason, I'll be happy with our FO.

Maybe we could trade a few spare parts, but this is wishful thinking in my opinion. SD is going to want high picks, which we can't really afford right now....

You know, I'm not sure. They already stole a 3rd rounder next year from Seattle for Whitehurst, so its not like they're hurting for high picks to start with. And they are losing leverage in this, with V-Jack threatening to sit the whole ten games, and having a 3 game suspension on top of it, and obviously being disgruntled with his pay (which is pretty fair, IMO). I don't know if it will be us, but as the offseason goes on, I could see his price diminishing to reasonable levels, for sure. They might as well ship him while they can before the trade deadline, or even before the season, for whatever they can, or he'll probably just become a FA the next season.

tim ryan and pat kirwan just talked about the skins using their picks for Jackson, justifying it by delving into the free agent pool that will be available next year (HUGE pool), saying that there will be a flood of young veteran players the skins could sign in place of draft picks...

was an interesting argument and they both agreed a good strategy for the skins, and warned against comparing this to our FA attitude of the past due to the depth of the FA pool that will be present after the 10 season...

tim ryan and pat kirwan just talked about the skins using their picks for Jackson, justifying it by delving into the free agent pool that will be available next year (HUGE pool), saying that there will be a flood of young veteran players the skins could sign in place of draft picks...

was an interesting argument and they both agreed a good strategy for the skins, and warned against comparing this to our FA attitude of the past due to the depth of the FA pool that will be present after the 10 season...

I've heard this argument as well, paired also with the possibility of a more shallow draft at many positions next year. So we'll see. But I could definitely see next offseason being the year that Shanahan/Allen really take advantage of Snyder's checkbook, hopefully with smart, younger investments paired with our top draft picks.

What I would like to see, however, is a list of the potential UNRESTRICTED FA's for next offseason, this huge list I keep hearing about, so that we can check it out. Then we could analyze the probability of different players making it to the open market and make this argument from a more informed position. Anyone? Anyone? :)

Santana Moss REC 70

YDS 902

AVG 12.9

TDS 3

Vincent Jackson REC 68

YDS 1,167

AVG 17.1

TDS 9

He didn't say Moss had a better year. He said Moss had two more catches. Moss has had a better overall career though.

Jackson is not a top 10 reciever, at least not in my book.

Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, and Brandon Marshall are 10 off the top of my head that are easily better than Vincent Jackson.

Every time someone with a recognizable name becomes available, people here hype them up like they're elite. Jackson is good, but he's not going to put as over the top and make us a SB contender.

Jackson is not a top 10 reciever, at least not in my book.

Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, and Brandon Marshall are 10 off the top of my head that are easily better than Vincent Jackson.

I'll give you Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Brandon Marshall. And I'd actually give Jackson a spot on my team over Moss because of age, and over Wayne because he strikes me as pretty one-dimensional, which is fine when you have Manning throwing you the ball (not that I wouldn't take either :silly:).

So that makes him between the 5th best or 7th best receiver in the league in my mind.

Welker benefits from Moss being across from him, taking away the coverage. Not that he's not excellent, but not top-ten matierial.

Steve Smith isn't what he used to be, and in my mind, is now the 2nd best guy with that name in the league. Great career and highlight reel, though.

Roddy White is right up there with Jackson to me, but not better.

Desean Jackson is also pretty one-demensional. Not that he's not explosive as hell, but let's see how he does with Kolb, who isn't known for his deep accuracy like Mcnabb, throwing him the ball before we crown him a top-ten WR.

Now, I don't really want to trade for him unless its reallyyy reasonable, I just disagree with you here.

Jackson is not a top 10 reciever, at least not in my book. Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, and Brandon Marshall are 10 off the top of my head that are easily better than Vincent Jackson.

Your list was good, but I'd replace Welker with Heyward-Bey.

I would trade for him only if they gave up a 2nd in 2010 and a 3rd in 2011 They should also work out a contract beforehand that was not Brandon Marshall money. He is not as good as Marshall. 6 year-35 million is as much as I would pay for him. Thomas could be a Jackson type of receiver if he works hard. He has the physical tools.

Exactly. Comparing him, in an offense that spreads the ball around (and has a HOF TE), to Moss, who was the only real WR threat last year, is not smart. How anyone can not take into account 6 more TD's and 4.2 more YPC when comparing them is beyond me. Its not just how many catches a WR has....but also what he does with them.

At 17.1 YPC, Jackson is obviously a big-play receiver, and that's what Mcnabb does best with (See: TO and Desean Jackson). I'm not rooting to trade high draft picks for the guy, but if it can be done at a good price sometime this offseason, I'll be happy with our FO.

He also has a better QB throwing him the ball... and BTW having more weapons on offense means facing softer defense individually.

He also has a better QB throwing him the ball... and BTW having more weapons on offense means facing softer defense individually.

I'll give you that one, but its not like he wouldn't have that here. And while that's true, it also means less targets.

How many WRs do we have already? I have to believe they have to be able to make a service-able group out of them.

Is VJ better then any receiver we have? Probably.

But you have to look at not only that he is better then what we have but HOW MUCH better he is. And while it would be an improvement, I don't think it's enough of an improvement to justify anywhere near what he would cost us.

Pass.

How many WRs do we have already? I have to believe they have to be able to make a service-able group out of them.

Is VJ better then any receiver we have? Probably.

But you have to look at not only that he is better then what we have but HOW MUCH better he is. And while it would be an improvement, I don't think it's enough of an improvement to justify anywhere near what he would cost us.

Pass.

Come on. I'm not really on board for this either, but you have to give a better reason than this, because Jackson is a significant upgrade over anything that we have. At this point in his career, Moss is one of the lesser #1 WR's in the league, if you even want to call him that. Whereas Jackson can stand tall with many in the top ten of all WR's in the NFL.

Archived