Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jackson officially suspended for 3 games... Do we even bother?!?

timdaley73

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5345629

Source: Jackson suspended by NFL

The NFL suspended San Diego Chargers Pro Bowl wide receiver Vincent Jackson three games for violating the league's personal conduct policy, a league source said Thursday.

The three-game suspension can be reduced upon appeal, but it is uncertain whether Jackson will appeal. He pleaded guilty in February to driving under the influence, his second conviction.

Jackson's suspension could be a moot point, however. He has been planning to not report to the Chargers unless he signs a long-term contract extension that nobody believes is forthcoming.

If the season begins and Jackson has not reported to the team, then he would be suspended for three games that he wouldn't have played in anyway.

The 27-year-old Jackson had 1,167 receiving yards and nine touchdowns last season, his fifth with the Chargers.

Me personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle if we are not going to have him for the first 3 important games!!

Nobody has signed him yet so he probably wants a a better-than-Marshall deal, who got 4 yrs/$47.5 million w/$24 Million guaranteed. (see link on Marshall deal). He has not been signed yet, so maybe he owners across the board just think he wants too much. Plus whatever SD wants, who cut him to $600,000 for being a no-show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5085644

Jackson is looking for a long term deal, -3 games to have a true #1 receiver for the next five years or so isn't a huge deal to me. The only scenario I see being worth it though is if the 3-way trade with Seattle and Haynesworth could work out, otherwise it would be too costly. Instead of giving up a #1 draft pick for him, go younger in next years and get an elite receiver there. Can't get to obsessed with a win this year mentality, we've seen how well that works out in the past.

Nobody has signed him yet so he probably wants a a better-than-Marshall deal, who got 4 yrs/$47.5 million w/$24 Million guaranteed. (see link on Marshall deal). He has not been signed yet, so maybe he owners across the board just think he wants too much. Plus whatever SD wants, who cut him to $600,000 for being a no-show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5085644

Truthfully, as good as I think Marshall is, I still wouldn't have given him that sort of contract with his past problems and attitude. You don't give that type of player that amount of money when there are red flags waving furiously in the background.

Id still try to get him and use the Suspension to our advantage to get the price lowered just a little bit. I feel like we have to make this move if we can get him without giving up our 1st next year which i feel has to go towards QB. We have pretty solid depth everywhere else on the field. I also don't want to get up MK or DT in any trade for Jackson. Like i said in another post if Haynesworth shows up and plays well we might be able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for next draft for him.

I would give kelly and a 2nd for him thats the max i would want to give personally

its just 3 games, but still has to diminish his value somewhat

Skins don't have a 2nd rounder:thumbsup: Unless they are willing to give up a 2012 pick:ols:

The price will be too much either way.

Agreed. He isn't all that great. He is not worth giving up what the Dolphins gave up for B. Marshall, or what the Ravens gave up for A. Boldin. He sure as heck doesn't deserve a contract like theirs. Is he the best available WR? Yes. Is he one of the best int he NFL? No. So lets not treat him as one just because we need one. Knee jerk reactions have come back to bite us in the past.

Waste of time to get Jackson.

Doc Walker pointed out yesterday that Jackson has had one season with more than 60 catches and that was last year. Santana Moss had two more receptions last year (70-68) and has had five seasons with 60 or more catches.

I'm not saying the WR position can't be improved here, but why bring yet another guy that just wants to get paid? I was hoping those days were behind us.

Agreed. He isn't all that great.

Sure he is. He's just in an offense that spreads the ball around a lot, with a great QB. Have you ever actually watched him? Great blocker, too, which is big in this offense (and keep in mind, I don't even want him. I just don't think you're being fair).

He is not worth giving up what the Dolphins gave up for B. Marshall,

Somebody's already offereing that, buddy.

or what the Ravens gave up for A. Boldin.

You don't think he's worth a 3rd and 4th to somebody? The Seahawks are currently offering 2 2nd rounders. Or were, before the suspension business.

Is he one of the best in the NFL? No.

Uhh yes. Yes he is. Top ten easily. Top five, is open to serious debate. Not sure what side I'd fall on there.

So lets not treat him as one just because we need one. Knee jerk reactions have come back to bite us in the past.

If it happened (which, keep in mind, I'm not really keen on. I'm just being realistic, unlike you), it wouldn't be a knee-jerk reaction to anything. There haven't been any injuries. It would be a result of the coaches evaluating our WR corps and seeing an upgrade available for what they believe is a fair price.

Skins don't have a 2nd rounder:thumbsup: Unless they are willing to give up a 2012 pick:ols:

It also looks like the Charges want a 1st and a 3rd (which the skins do not have either) plus a player. Safety or throw in WR, Safety makes more sense for SD. HogHeaven has mentioned the 1st plus 3rd previously.

http://redskinshogheaven.com/2010-articles/june/vincent-jackson-redskins-great-fit-jackson-for-multiple-draft-picks-not-so-much.html

I think there will not be a lot of takers. You easily can afford a 3rd rounder for him, he is a question mark though. Any team would be taking a chance=not 2nd round material.

Edit: Forget about a first and a third. That would be insane.

Archived