Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Vincent Jackson working out with McNabb

VetMinimum+Incentives

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports that Jackson is currently in Phoenix, training with none other than Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb. McNabb annually works out in Arizona during the offseason, but Jackson is a new addition to the practice field out west as he continues to stay away from pre-training camp activities in hopes of securing a long-term contract.

As we also would, Wyche cautions to not read too much into the connection. The players are simply trying to stay in shape. The Redskins' heavily rumored interest in Jackson, however, makes it more interesting than it normally would be.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the Bears "have no plans to pursue Jackson at this time." NFL Network's Jason La Canfora tweeted Wednesday that the Seahawks are "best positioned" to make a run at Jackson, but Matt Hasselbeck and Charlie Whitehurst aren't playing pitch-and-catch with the sixth-year receiver in the desert.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is known to be "a big fan" of San Diego's (for now) 1,000-plus yard receiver. The fact that Shanahan's quarterback has suddenly developed a relationship with the player Shanahan came oh-so-close to drafting in 2005 can only serve to make a V-Jax-to-D.C. trade more likely.

Click below for entire article.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Who else is out there with them?

I remember a month or two ago McNabb said he'd offered for anyone else to join him for mid-summer training and D.Thomas had said he'd be down.

My thoughts exactly. Thomas and Kelly BETTER be in AZ right now if they want to be on this team this year.

Anyone know if any of the WRs have taken McNabb up on his offer to practice with him out in AZ? I haven't heard much about it, though I guess that have time to do so between now and training camp. I know DT tweeted about training down in Miami, he didn't mention anything about AZ.

I really hope they do take him up on his offer though.

In regards to the article, a bit interesting, but could also be much ado about nothing. A lot of players workout with McNabb in the offseason, I remember Shawn Springs used to workout with him too. So it doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

D. Thomas is too busy making lame ass music videos.

Really though, I have no idea. If there is a way to get Jackson and maintain our picks (see Haynesworth) then I'd be all for it, but I'm not sure I'd be okay with giving up a 2nd round pick in the next draft. Allen has been great with trades thus far though so if we do land him, I'm not going to be one to complain.

The problem is we would have to let go of another draft pick to get him. At least a draft pick, maybe two. I would be all for it but at the same time we already are missing draft picks in the 3rd and 4th.

And can anyone tell me - what do we get with draft picks?

I know the picks we used were for McNabb and Brown, but the Chargers won't take anything less than a 2nd. Would you trade a 2nd for Jackson once again leaving us with 4 draft picks?

To answer my own question: Picks are used to get players.

Now, if next year's draft comes around and for some strange reason Jackson has found a way to re-enter the draft - would you select him with your 1st or 2nd round pick? Or would you select an unproven player that may or may not pan out?

I know what I'd do...

To answer my own question: Picks are used to get players.

Now, if next year's draft comes around and for some strange reason Jackson has found a way to re-enter the draft - would you select him with your 1st or 2nd round pick? Or would you select an unproven player that may or may not pan out?

I know what I'd do...

like Thomas & Kelly?

Remember: Jackson was once an "unproven player that may or may not pan out." He did. Maybe Thomas and Kelly will too. Here are Jackson's first two season with the Chargers:

2005 SDG 8 games, 3 catches, 59 yards, 19.7 ypc, 3 touchdowns

2006 SDG 16 games, 27 catches, 453 yards, 16.8 ypc, 6 touchdowns

It usually takes a few years for receivers to get going in the NFL. I would rather keep my draft pick and work with Thomas and Kelly's ability to make them into star receivers, because they both are clearly very talented individuals.

I like Devin Thomas more than Vincent Jackson. Thomas is setting up his 2nd career by doing all this modeling stuff, but he is staying out of trouble and just having fun. Remember he was trying to bind with Campbell when he was here so people need to stop making Devin Thomas out to be a bad person. I think he is a product of horrible coaching.

Vincent Jackson on the other hand is kinda overrated. Yes, he is improving, but i'm not giving up no more than a Andre Carter, 3rd round pick, and a conditional 5th round pick. Since we don't have 2 of those then i'm not in favor of trading for him unless its for something less.

CB15 plans to join DM5 in AZ also. We need the WRs out there as well, some fo the RBs and it would be great if the TEs would be out there as well.

Extra reps, thow and catch, build that chemistry.

Oh sweet!..... I live 12.8miles or 22mins from DM5's house.. :D

Don't judge me!. :pfft:

It usually takes a few years for receivers to get going in the NFL. I would rather keep my draft pick and work with Thomas and Kelly's ability to make them into star receivers, because they both are clearly very talented individuals.

I agree with the general point but context matters IMO. Keep in mind Shanny I would gather scouted Thomas and Kelly when they were drafted considering he took Eddie Royal that same draft. We've read he scouted Jackson in a prior draft too and liked him.

We haven't for example read anything about how Shanny loved Thomas and Kelly coming out in the draft and is now thrilled to be working with both. Shanny might indeed love those guys. Don't know. But if not I'll trust him because understanding offensive talent was one of his strengths in Denver.

Something tells me that Shanny understands the idea that Wr's can take a little while to develop, likewise it seems intuitive to me that he can watch these guys in practice, witness their work habits, ability to pick up routes, etc and come up with a fairly educated guess about Thomas' and Kelly's future stardom or lack thereof.

Archived