Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dinner with the President

thebluefood

There's no political office in the world quite like the Presidency of the United States of America. An enigma in it's infancy, and now emulated across the world.

Throughout the 221 years of the Presidency, we've seen our share of characters ranging from bookish and introverted to full on party animals and renegades.

Let's say you had an opportunity to have dinner with one of our 44 Presidents. Which one would it be and why?

For me, it would have to be Teddy Roosevelt and I say that for two reasons.

1.) With all the big game hunting Teddy around the country, I'm sure he'd have the White House kitchen staff whip up something really out there that you'd never have other wise.

2.) Teddy is one of my favorite personalities. Roosevelt was an athlete and a war hero. Roosevelt also took a stand for racial equality while in the White House, a choice which cost him a great deal of support from powerful people. It's often said that Roosevelt was a mass of contradictions. He was a free enterprise Republican, but an advocate for corporate reform. As I mentioned before, he was a big game hunter, but one of America's most famous conservationists.

Point of clarification: Are we going back to our chosen president's time for dinner, or bringing him forward to ours?

Up to you, dude. It's just dinner with the President. It can be at any time and with any one of the 44 men that have served in office.

Up to you, dude. It's just dinner with the President. It can be at any time and with any one of the 44 men that have served in office.

OK, thanks. Having thought about it a little more, I think my answer remains the same anyway...Thomas Jefferson.

I would love to ask him what his feelings were as he was penning the Declaration of Independence. I mean, how many men in the history of planet earth have had the opportunity to write a new nation into existence? Was he more excited and optimistic? Or more fearful of the heavy hand of the Brits that he had to know was coming? (And already shown itself previously.)

What does he think of the nation he helped to create as it stands today? Where does he stand on our pressing domestic issues? Abortion? Gun rights? (Does the Second Amendment mean now what it meant then?) How bout taxes and spending? The Gulf spill? Illegal immigration? Race relations? (I had to. :pfft:)

What about international issues? How should we treat terrorists according to the Constitution as it was framed? What does he think about the UN?

But the questions I would most like to ask are these: "Are you proud of where the nation you helped give birth to stands today? What would you change."

Overall, I would spend most of the meal just getting him started on issues I wanted to hear him speak on, then just listening and absorbing as much as I could. I would hope he would let me record our conversation so I could transcribe it later. Not to make a buck, but to truly learn every bit that I possibly could from one of the wisest and most important men ever to call himself an American.

Great topic, blue. I'm excited to hear what others have to say, especially those with whom I tend to disagree, politically speaking.

There's no political office in the world quite like the Presidency of the United States of America. An enigma in it's infancy, and now emulated across the world.

Throughout the 221 years of the Presidency, we've seen our share of characters ranging from bookish and introverted to full on party animals and renegades.

Let's say you had an opportunity to have dinner with one of our 44 Presidents. Which one would it be and why?

For me, it would have to be Teddy Roosevelt and I say that for two reasons.

1.) With all the big game hunting Teddy around the country, I'm sure he'd have the White House kitchen staff whip up something really out there that you'd never have other wise.

2.) Teddy is one of my favorite personalities. Roosevelt was an athlete and a war hero. Roosevelt also took a stand for racial equality while in the White House, a choice which cost him a great deal of support from powerful people. It's often said that Roosevelt was a mass of contradictions. He was a free enterprise Republican, but an advocate for corporate reform. As I mentioned before, he was a big game hunter, but one of America's most famous conservationists.

Good choice, Teddy also had a Bigfoot sighting..!

Can I say Winston Churchill? His mom was American ... :)

TR is a good one. Andrew Jackson probably throws a good party, and I'd love to be a fly on the wall at a dinner with John Adams (though I'm not sure I'd want to be his dinner guest. He'd probably end up telling me what an idiot I am.) Maybe Harry Truman ... except I don't know if he'd let a Jew in his house. ... :D

Can I say Churchill? :)

I'd say Polk. I'd ensure procedures and policies were put in place to outright annex all of Mexico and Central America. I'd also tell him where the oil is so he could expand our manifest destiny even further (Kuwait anyone?). Woo heee this has got my imperialist side going (Of course I'd encourage an even earlier purchase of Alaska and as much of eastern Siberia that the Czars would sell.)

First thought is George Washington, at his house of course. Growing up (myself) a 1/4 mile from the potomac river, I felt very at home visiting Mt. Vernon. Plus Washington was the epitome of cool even (he even grew marijuana) though he was a imposing figure. In his prime I'm sure he'd have giving TR a run for his money in a physical contest. He could've been the most powerful president, or president for life ever (or King) but chose to chill down at his place on the river, with a view of DC.

Second choice, Clinton at a go-go joint. We'd have all the hot women at our table. :pfft:

Teddy was just an over all bad ass. The man ate lighting and crapped thunder.

Made Rocky look like a school girl. :pfft:

For Fans of the HBO series deadwood, The really interesting era of the town was just coming into being when the show ended... Teddy Roosevelt moved to town and became a gentleman rancher in Dakota territory for a while.

When Teddy won the Congressional Medal of honor for his charge up San Juan hill. One of his rough ridders was none other than Marshal Bullock, one of the series main characters....

Teddy also won the Nobel peace prize for helping to negotiate the peace between Japan and Russia, earning Japan's contempt and some historians say set the stage for WWII.

Let's not forget when he got shot in the chest during a political speach and rather than going to the hospital, continued to talk for two more hours.

Action hero..

Then of coarse their was the entire Panama Canal episode... Teddy wanted to build the canal, but Colombia which owned the land wouldn't agree to lease it to him... So Teddy staged a revolt with US forces and was first to recognize the independant nation of Panama.

George Washington- Because he had homegrown.

G.W. had Mary Jane at Mount Vernon? :ols:

I've gotta see a link or something to confirm this.

Mount Vernon, man? He grew it all over the country, man. He had people growin' it all over the country, you know. The whole country back then was gettin' high. Lemme tell you, man, 'cause he knew he was onto somethin', man. He knew that it would be a good cash crop for the southern states, man, so he grew fields of it, man. But you know what? Behind every good man there's a woman, and that woman was Martha Washington, man, and every day, George would come home, she'd have a big fat bowl waiting for him, man, when he'd come in the door. She was a hip, a hip, hip lady, man.

Archived